D1 changes

Instead of getting a 1/4 scholarships to play college soccer, kids are now possibly getting no scholarships. So in other words, we should just play soccer for the love of the game and not worry about college soccer.
How do you corelate the new rule with equaling no more scholarships?

It’s my sarcastic attempt to say that there is no difference between a 1/4 scholarship and no scholarship. So nothing has changed.
Soccer is not a revenue generating sport so first to get cut if the school needs money to attract football players and the new stadium.

It’s my sarcastic attempt to say that there is no difference between a 1/4 scholarship and no scholarship. So nothing has changed.
Soccer is not a revenue generating sport so first to get cut if the school needs money to attract football players and the new stadium.
ahh true, got it!

How does this affect power 5(4) girls?
well if your 29+ on the roster it sucks. If your 14+ on the scholarship list it might be good. Depends on the school and if they opt in or not.
I don't believe Power 4 schools can opt out. Opting in or out is only an option for non Power 4. So for Power 4, there is a roster limit of 28 for sure. The question for Power 4 is really on the scholarship side and if schools will increase the scholarship dollars up from the current 14 (all the way up to 28 if they want). My bet is that very few schools will add much as far as womens soccer scholarship money.

I don't believe Power 4 schools can opt out. Opting in or out is only an option for non Power 4. So for Power 4, there is a roster limit of 28 for sure. The question for Power 4 is really on the scholarship side and if schools will increase the scholarship dollars up from the current 14 (all the way up to 28 if they want). My bet is that very few schools will add much as far as womens soccer scholarship money.
Except that P4 schools are going to jump from 80 to 105 scholarships for football and will need to offset that number on the women's side.

Except that P4 schools are going to jump from 80 to 105 scholarships for football and will need to offset that number on the women's side.
Is that true? I thought the settlement was about increasing scholarship money for student athletes overall...not simply shifting scholarships between sports

Is that true? I thought the settlement was about increasing scholarship money for student athletes overall...not simply shifting scholarships between sports
It's true. The reason behind the football roster increase is because of the additional games in the 12 team playoff. With a 16 game season they expect more attrition due to injuries.

Ready to play transfer portal players are going to be even more in demand over freshman players. Ohio state spend $20 million plus in NIL on football this year. That number is expected to increase significantly.

It's true. The reason behind the football roster increase is because of the additional games in the 12 team playoff. With a 16 game season they expect more attrition due to injuries.

Ready to play transfer portal players are going to be even more in demand over freshman players. Ohio state spend $20 million plus in NIL on football this year. That number is expected to increase significantly.
The rules are the same with football as the other sports, right? In other words, the p4 roster limit for football is increasing to 105 and the ability to use 105 scholarships for football is also increasing to 105, but schools don't necessary need to increase the scholarship spend to 105. I am sure some of the big programs will. However, won't some programs just either continue to make those additional 20 spots non-scholarship and/or give those spots NIL money instead of scholarship money in order to avoid having to increase scholarship numbers on womens sports? Maybe I am not following correctly.

The rules are the same with football as the other sports, right? In other words, the p4 roster limit for football is increasing to 105 and the ability to use 105 scholarships for football is also increasing to 105, but schools don't necessary need to increase the scholarship spend to 105. I am sure some of the big programs will. However, won't some programs just either continue to make those additional 20 spots non-scholarship and/or give those spots NIL money instead of scholarship money in order to avoid having to increase scholarship numbers on womens sports? Maybe I am not following correctly.
Paying players in NIL to avoid Title 9 is a very good call out. Wasn't thinking about this.

Every D1 school will be faced with either $250K or $600K(P5 schools) in tournament reductions for 10 years as part of the $2.77 billion NCAA settlement. If revenue doesn't go up for that school, you won't see an increase in scholarships.

Back