Coaching Changes

I heard CB is staying through State Cup.
CG left west coast already and won't be with his west coast team.
Yes, CG coaches my daughter's 02 team and he left us and 3 other teams after this weekends tournament. So, we at WC don't have a coach now for a few months. I don't understand how we as parents are supposed to commit (and PAY) for a year but coaches can just leave us high and dry. Shouldn't a club be accountable for their coaches too? What accountability is there for coaches? We'll stick around to see if Mia Hamm decides to coach us or at least I can imagine til then.

Yes, CG coaches my daughter's 02 team and he left us and 3 other teams after this weekends tournament. So, we at WC don't have a coach now for a few months. I don't understand how we as parents are supposed to commit (and PAY) for a year but coaches can just leave us high and dry. Shouldn't a club be accountable for their coaches too? What accountability is there for coaches? We'll stick around to see if Mia Hamm decides to coach us or at least I can imagine til then.
That's quite a commute for her coming from Manhattan Beach. Maybe Juergen is a better choice he lives in OC. At least I still think he does. :)

Let me start off with I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I've been thru a similar situation. I don't know the details but don't be too quick to blame the club. The club can't make someone stay. If CG left the teams on his own accord, the soccer world should know and shame on him. But if he was willing to stay thru State/National Cup and the club wouldn't let him, well then everyone should know and shame on then.

Don't be afraid to seek out answers. If you wait for communication, you may wait too long as you are still within a transfer window.

Let me start off with I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I've been thru a similar situation. I don't know the details but don't be too quick to blame the club. The club can't make someone stay. If CG left the teams on his own accord, the soccer world should know and shame on him. But if he was willing to stay thru State/National Cup and the club wouldn't let him, well then everyone should know and shame on then.

Don't be afraid to seek out answers. If you wait for communication, you may wait too long as you are still within a transfer window.
One of your best post I've read. I hope people pay attention to the last paragraph.

Maybe this change benefited everyone. :)

In corporate America, the "2 week notice" is pretty much gone. Especially if you are going to a competitor.
At a soccer club, I'm sure it's the same.
"Hey DOC got a sec? I'm taking a job with a different club. But I'll stick around for the next 3 months to get the girls through a tournament. Even though we all know they are going to tryouts from Thanksgiving to St Patrick's day anyway. "
DOC- "pack your coach bag and GTFO. And if you try and take your whole team, youll be hearing from our attorney. He's a dad of a kid on the gu14 team."

I know of another coach that is planning to stay with their club through Vegas Cup. Why would they give up an all expense paid trip to Vegas?

While it is a crappy situation for the players and parents on the CG teams, I don't think there was anything West Coast could do about it. I don't think that clubs have their coaches sign contracts, so in a right to work state like CA, employees are free to come and go as they please. I will add that had West Coast said to CG, please stick around through State/National Cup and then go to LAGOC, it is very likely that CG would not have done his best work as a coach. I don't blame CG here, I think it is just human nature to focus on what's next.

But as parents we also need to hold the clubs accountable for their actions too. Let's look at CDA Slammers acquiring OC Premier. There are many parents out there that don't want to be a part of a big organization like Slammers and love that there are small "boutique" clubs like OCP. So in this instance, OCP made the decision to be acquired and I seriously doubt the management of OCP sought out advice from their players/parents before making their decision.

The way things are going, SCDSL will have all these mega clubs and CSL will be reduced to the small, local clubs. Not good for competition, but really no different than the business world we live in.

While it is a crappy situation for the players and parents on the CG teams, I don't think there was anything West Coast could do about it. I don't think that clubs have their coaches sign contracts, so in a right to work state like CA, employees are free to come and go as they please. I will add that had West Coast said to CG, please stick around through State/National Cup and then go to LAGOC, it is very likely that CG would not have done his best work as a coach. I don't blame CG here, I think it is just human nature to focus on what's next.

But as parents we also need to hold the clubs accountable for their actions too. Let's look at CDA Slammers acquiring OC Premier. There are many parents out there that don't want to be a part of a big organization like Slammers and love that there are small "boutique" clubs like OCP. So in this instance, OCP made the decision to be acquired and I seriously doubt the management of OCP sought out advice from their players/parents before making their decision.

The way things are going, SCDSL will have all these mega clubs and CSL will be reduced to the small, local clubs. Not good for competition, but really no different than the business world we live in.
Would everyone agree that sometimes change is good? Yes, it would suck to lose a coach before the end of the season, but look at CG's 2016 record among his 4 teams.
23 losses, 10 ties, and 6 wins. This is not a winning record. Maybe all 4 of these teams will benefit from a new Coach?

Would everyone agree that sometimes change is good? Yes, it would suck to lose a coach before the end of the season, but look at CG's 2016 record among his 4 teams.
23 losses, 10 ties, and 6 wins. This is not a winning record. Maybe all 4 of these teams will benefit from a new Coach?
I will agree change can be good but often it is realized over a period of time. For example, a few years back mun dd's coach was also the DOC of a small club in the area. A new President was elected and they essentially butted heads and come Nov. our coach resigned as DOC and the President dismissed him from the club all together, but didn't have a succession plan in place. It took 3 weeks to find a coach within the club who could step in to take over the team and it was a complete disaster. It was a very diffcult few months to say the least. Eventually the entire team walked away from the club and joined their previous coach at a new club and lived "happily ever after" (well at least until the Age Group shift split them up). In hindsight, the change was the best thing that could have happened to my DD.

My only hope for the girls and families involved here is that WC puts a solution in place quickly that is not just a "patch" and has open, HONEST communication with the families involved!

I wonder how it feels having your job talked about on a public forum. did you hear kicker is interviewing at Levi's? I heard Keeperpops got a job with PepsiCo in January.... since their jobs impact our kids I get it and would comment if those changes affected my family, but it is weird nonetheless.

True, not a winning record ... but ... did the coach develop the players? Sometimes, the best development of players comes with playing against better competition (and losing) than dominating against the weak.

Back