Club soccer stuff that drive you nuts...

I've been thinking about this discussion and while I definitely don't like screamers/yellers as a general rule, I thought back to some of my daughter's best coaches and recognized that they definitely yelled from time to time. But, I realized that it's the content of the communication, not the volume of it that really matters. A coach can whisper sh*tty things to a player and it could be abusive. My DD had one coach who was yelling so much (in Spanish) at other players in her first practice that she almost walked off the field, she was so intimidated. However, that guy turned out to be the most caring, supportive, and long lasting coaching relationship of her youth career. He yelled, but he never yelled demeaning things. He would also make sure to yell his praise even louder than his displeasure, and always ended practice by shaking hands of every single player and thanking them for coming. He could yell and be loud, but he was never disrespectful, just intense and passionate.

I once heard an interview with Tony Dungy where he talked about how counterproductive yelling is as a teaching and motivational technique. I do think it can be useful for good coaches who care and are able to demonstrate that care, but if you have coaches who yell AND don't give a sh*t about how their players feel, that's a baaaad combo.
There is a difference between yelling and talking really loud.

I would definitely put the said coach in the intese, passionate, no nonsense category. He treats everyone fairly. This coach sometimes stays 30min overtime to let the kids finish scrimmage. Afterwards sits the group down to go over what they learned that day.

Talk about missing the whole point...
But yes, runner-ups get a medal, too. It's been like that for the last 3 years that I have been part of tournaments.

We don't need any of it. You celebrate while the other team cries, you hear the lamentations of their parents, and make them soak in defeat on the way home. Better than any stupid trophy.

We don't need any of it. You celebrate while the other team cries, you hear the lamentations of their parents, and make them soak in defeat on the way home. Better than any stupid trophy.
As a staunch and typical republican, you are missing the point completely.

Once you start getting to the higher levels + ages of youth soccer all the parents pretty much know each other in one way or other. This is when you start seeing parents from different teams hanging out on the sidelines.

This was generally our experience. Of course, there were occasional exceptions. And, for the guys olders, the exceptions could devolve into situations that got spectacularly bad. There was a funny one, however. A brown paper bag dad on the sideline yelling smack. Ref does the card the Dad thing, tells him game is stopped until he leaves. People start to get hot. Then the kid on the field goes "Dad if you don't shut up and get out of here I'm going to come over there and kick your ass". Everybody laughs, Dad leaves, game keeps going without real further incident.

What drive’s me crazy about club soccer are the crazy parents who like to point fingers at other kids weaknesses and suggesting ideas on how and where they should go to improve. Ok, coach.
Respond with "Thank you for your assessment. I'm so glad you provided an opinion regarding where my kid can improve. Theres so many parents on the team that have wanted to provide their feedback on where your kid isnt doing very well but we weren't sure how to approach you about it." ;-)

Respond with "Thank you for your assessment. I'm so glad you provided an opinion regarding where my kid can improve. Theres so many parents on the team that have wanted to provide their feedback on where your kid isnt doing very well but we weren't sure how to approach you about it." ;-)
Its always stuff we are already doing, so no biggie. I usually ask for things in their area of expertise, like if they have any pointers for how my daughter can put on some weight around the hips and mid-section.

Why do you think the problem is limited to keepers? Coming from an American Football (AF) background, I think clubs and colleges (maybe pros too) are understaffed because a head coach is trying to monitor and teach approximately 20 or more players in different positions simultaneously. In AF, practice is often broken down into positions with position specific coaches; offensive line, running backs, wide receivers, DB’s etc.

When I look at college rosters they look understaffed and I don’t see position specific coaches either!

Can someone please explain why soccer teams don’t have position specific coaches?
Its about attention to detail at the highest level, e.g.

Liverpool throw-in coach confirms new contract into 5th season - Liverpool FC - This Is Anfield

Parents who yell, "go" "run" "kick it" "don't stop"
Parents who snub their nose at you and have so much money they can buy a position, starts and unlimited play time
Parents who think their life is better because they have more $$$ to spend on play time then you do

You're exactly the kind of parent I wouldn't want to sit next to. In the end you probably don't know what you're talking about. You should take on a coaching role if you want to coach. Kids need to hear from one coach -- not a parent trying to live vicariously through them. Just go enjoy watching your kids play the game.
Sounds like he does!

Once you start getting to the higher levels + ages of youth soccer all the parents pretty much know each other in one way or other. This is when you start seeing parents from different teams hanging out on the sidelines.

When you've been going to the same tournaments with the sameish people for 10+ years usually the topic discussed is how annoying youth soccer can be. But, you keep doing it because its something your kid loves.

Generally the ones that want to fight are at the younger and lower levels. This is because soccer when the games are close can they be 60+ minutes of tension. Americans parents used to this type of action + can get frustrated and lash out. Over time soccer will grind even the craziest parents desire to fight out of them. Sometimes it just takes a while for this to occur.
Absolutely, AYSO has proven that the lower the level of soccer equals worse parent behavior. Just check it out almost any weekend and you will get a huge laugh!

Back