California Cup

Heard Surf had a crazy comback being down 3-0 at the half to win the Championship. Anybody able to watch the game? I'd be interested to hear how it went..

OK, at the risk of being criticized, here goes. From my perspective and watching the game on video the next day, it was one of the most exciting comebacks ever (from a Surf perspective, which is what I have)

The first half was a real butt kicking by the Blues, while the Surf Girls played their worst soccer in memory. The Surf Coach had not answers, while trying to find a combination on the field that worked. At one point, all the center midfielders were on the bench, one with the stomach flu. The Blues were just outplaying the Surf.

Early'ish in the 2nd half, a Surf midfielder did a "coast-to-coast" dribble run and to the surprise to everyone, dribbled so far she only could shoot the ball and I think the GK was screened, the shot was excellent, and now the score was 3-1. Then shortly thereafter Surf got a PK, its forward took it and the Blues GK made a great athletic dive to her left and blocked the shot out of bounds. Then shortly after that, a blues player hit a rocket that hit the crossbar. That would, I think, have ended the comeback, but to Surf's good fortune, they dodged that bullet.

Then, with 10 minutes left in the game, the "sick" Surf player talked the coach into putting her in the game, and miraculously, the team on the field jelled with the fresh legs and the whole tempo changed. Surf scored twice in a matter of 3 minutes to tie the game and Surf had the big MO.

Two 5 minute overtime periods ensued, and Surf scored about 1.5 minutes into the first overtime on a remarkable play, where the right winger sprints to save a ball from crossing the end line, jukes the defender and crosses the ball with her left foot. Surf's defensive mid came up and battled for the cross, it bounces to their forward who made a great left footed pass to the left winger who made a move and a left footed shot hard to the far netting. The Blues keeper got a hand on it but couldn't keep it out of the net. From there, the teams played even until the final whistle blew.

During the bracket play, Blues beat Surf 2-1 in a game that I think both teams knew was just a warm-up to the final. Surf missed a PK, hitting the post.

Boy, is this a great rivalry, and this time the Surf came out on top.

OK, at the risk of being criticized, here goes. From my perspective and watching the game on video the next day, it was one of the most exciting comebacks ever (from a Surf perspective, which is what I have)

The first half was a real butt kicking by the Blues, while the Surf Girls played their worst soccer in memory. The Surf Coach had not answers, while trying to find a combination on the field that worked. At one point, all the center midfielders were on the bench, one with the stomach flu. The Blues were just outplaying the Surf.

Early'ish in the 2nd half, a Surf midfielder did a "coast-to-coast" dribble run and to the surprise to everyone, dribbled so far she only could shoot the ball and I think the GK was screened, the shot was excellent, and now the score was 3-1. Then shortly thereafter Surf got a PK, its forward took it and the Blues GK made a great athletic dive to her left and blocked the shot out of bounds. Then shortly after that, a blues player hit a rocket that hit the crossbar. That would, I think, have ended the comeback, but to Surf's good fortune, they dodged that bullet.

Then, with 10 minutes left in the game, the "sick" Surf player talked the coach into putting her in the game, and miraculously, the team on the field jelled with the fresh legs and the whole tempo changed. Surf scored twice in a matter of 3 minutes to tie the game and Surf had the big MO.

Two 5 minute overtime periods ensued, and Surf scored about 1.5 minutes into the first overtime on a remarkable play, where the right winger sprints to save a ball from crossing the end line, jukes the defender and crosses the ball with her left foot. Surf's defensive mid came up and battled for the cross, it bounces to their forward who made a great left footed pass to the left winger who made a move and a left footed shot hard to the far netting. The Blues keeper got a hand on it but couldn't keep it out of the net. From there, the teams played even until the final whistle blew.

During the bracket play, Blues beat Surf 2-1 in a game that I think both teams knew was just a warm-up to the final. Surf missed a PK, hitting the post.

Wow!!!!

Heard Surf had a crazy comback being down 3-0 at the half to win the Championship. Anybody able to watch the game? I'd be interested to hear how it went..
From a Blues perspective it went a little something like this. We had control of the game, we attacked the defenders once the goalie released the ball and took them out of their comfort. Goalie was coming out too far and Blues player made her pay for it with the first goal put in within the first 5 mins. Then Blues continued to outplay Surf and the Surf girls began to get frustrated and started throwing their bodies into the Blues new player #25. The ref began to call unnecessary fouls which blew our minds. They threw themselves into her and she got the foul. The craziest one is one of the surf girls came running into her took her feet from under her and she landed on top of the Surf player and they gave HER a yellow card. Right after that yellow card Blues got a corner kick and #25 went up and got it and put it away with a header. More of a payback for the dumb yellow card. After that it was silly foul after silly foul. Surf’s coach began to tell his players “pushhhhhhh herrrr, throw your body on her she’s on a yellow” and it surprised everyone that a COACH can want to tell his players to hurt another player. So she was forced to be benched to avoid a red card, being that the ref was calling the craziest fouls. Did I mention #25 on Blues is a 2011. We still held on to the lead with another goal put in by the Blues before the half. The yellow card n the player being benched messed up the Blues chemistry the girls continued to play their hearts out then things spiraled out of control. Surf came back to tie in the 2nd half and won it in over time. It was a battle, and can’t wait to see them again soon 11v11. It’s always fun playing the best of the best. This just wasn’t our time. The games are on the Veo website if you want to see them.

From a Blues perspective it went a little something like this. We had control of the game, we attacked the defenders once the goalie released the ball and took them out of their comfort. Goalie was coming out too far and Blues player made her pay for it with the first goal put in within the first 5 mins. Then Blues continued to outplay Surf and the Surf girls began to get frustrated and started throwing their bodies into the Blues new player #25. The ref began to call unnecessary fouls which blew our minds. They threw themselves into her and she got the foul. The craziest one is one of the surf girls came running into her took her feet from under her and she landed on top of the Surf player and they gave HER a yellow card. Right after that yellow card Blues got a corner kick and #25 went up and got it and put it away with a header. More of a payback for the dumb yellow card. After that it was silly foul after silly foul. Surf’s coach began to tell his players “pushhhhhhh herrrr, throw your body on her she’s on a yellow” and it surprised everyone that a COACH can want to tell his players to hurt another player. So she was forced to be benched to avoid a red card, being that the ref was calling the craziest fouls. Did I mention #25 on Blues is a 2011. We still held on to the lead with another goal put in by the Blues before the half. The yellow card n the player being benched messed up the Blues chemistry the girls continued to play their hearts out then things spiraled out of control. Surf came back to tie in the 2nd half and won it in over time. It was a battle, and can’t wait to see them again soon 11v11. It’s always fun playing the best of the best. This just wasn’t our time. The games are on the Veo website if you want to see them.
There's always 2 sides to the story.....lol. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, and at least one of them always blames the ref.
True. The Surf 2010 team is excellent and the competition between the two rivalries will only get better through the years, barring KOGE doesn't take a bunch of excellent players from Blues and a few from Surf.

Our experience has shown, girls or boys teams, when a highly competitive team is down by 2 or more, it always gets physical by the losing team and bodies are thrown around, with refs always siding with the losing team. Very rarely do we get a ref that doesn't give a care who is losing or winning and calls it against the losing team.

Our kids have been the losing side being more aggressive and the winning side being fouled against. Always the same and we just cringe on the sideline.

Ok, that sounds more like the old days.....lol!!

True. The Surf 2010 team is excellent and the competition between the two rivalries will only get better through the years, barring KOGE doesn't take a bunch of excellent players from Blues and a few from Surf.

Our experience has shown, girls or boys teams, when a highly competitive team is down by 2 or more, it always gets physical by the losing team and bodies are thrown around, with refs always siding with the losing team. Very rarely do we get a ref that doesn't give a care who is losing or winning and calls it against the losing team.

Our kids have been the losing side being more aggressive and the winning side being fouled against. Always the same and we just cringe on the sideline.
Those damn refs are always in the way win my kids team loses.

Yes, and at least one of them always blames the ref.
Not so much of a ref BLAME if u go and watch the game you will see exactly what I’m talking about. It was insane. But nothing taken away from Surf on the win. They battled back. It’s over now and on to the next one. Win or lose I would’ve said the exact same thing that I said. As everyone keeps stating this will be a great rivalry for years to come. Both team will take a L here or there but it will always be fun to watch.

No

No criticism at all lol…. You guys battled back and took the win. But as the other person said there’s always 2 sides to a story so I gave mine. Great win and congrats to your girls. See u soon, 11v11 up next.

Where can we see the game on the veo website? Can you please post here?

The game plan for beating a top Surf team, boys and girls at all age levels, usually goes something like this:

1. Come out fast, press, and get an early lead while they are working their game plan
2. Be strong and composed while their players get frustrated, start yelling at each other, and start fouling you
3. Bunker for dear life once they get their composure back and come at you

Sometimes it works. Mostly it doesn't

The game plan for beating a top Surf team, boys and girls at all age levels, usually goes something like this:

1. Come out fast, press, and get an early lead while they are working their game plan
2. Be strong and composed while their players get frustrated, start yelling at each other, and start fouling you
3. Bunker for dear life once they get their composure back and come at you

Sometimes it works. Mostly it doesn't
That is really funny, as there is just a little bit of truth to it.

From an non Surf or Blues perspective…

So cal state cup = Refs fault for not calling a goal

California Cup = Refs fault for giving a yellow card to a blues player?

We should probably start using VAR at U12 right?

Shame SoCal teams will never really have a true best of the best match up again with the ECNL
Becoming a scrimmage league knowing that slammers, surf and blues will always qualify for playoffs and hardly play each other in meaningful games again.

Shame SoCal teams will never really have a true best of the best match up again with the ECNL
Becoming a scrimmage league knowing that slammers, surf and blues will always qualify for playoffs and hardly play each other in meaningful games again.
Why does it have to be meaningful? You don’t have to let ECNL dictate everything. Just pick a long weekend and call each other up.

Call it the Parents’ Invitational.

From a non-biased viewer of someone who watched 80% of the finals game, both sides were physical. I did feel like Surf was more of a 'team win' while blues was a more of a #25 win. Blues new forarwd #25 is a force to be reckoned with and was a stand out on Blues, anyone know what club she came from? One parent said she is a 2011! Is that true? It didn't appear to be the Blues typical coach either. I didn't feel like the ref was going one way or another with his calls. I think #25 is so much taller than the average 2010 she'll probably get a few foul calls that were non intentional, just a factor of size matchup. #18 on Surf is always a stand out to me. Her composure, ball movement, and movement off the ball is advanced and she sets up almost every major play. Whenever we have the chance to watch Surf, she is the one I make my kids focus on. All the players did great and it was an exciting game to watch and a great comback. And to think I almost left at the half:)

Sounds like a great game any way you look at it. I'm curious ....I think the majority of 2010 ECNL teams has tryouts in Dec/Jan. With ECNL opening up May 1st, will 2010 ECNL teams also hold a second tryout in May?

Back