California Crazy

When they changed the name of Squaw Valley, I thought what's next?

Here's the answer..

I will ask my wife her thoughts on this. To me as a white Scottish Highlander man, I like Chief. It means to me a Ruler or Leader of people or a leader of the clan or a trib. I am the Chief and so is my wife. The kids know they have two equal chiefs with two roles. A woman can be a chief. My wife is Cherokee and Mayan so she will have something to say for sure. Many Native American Tribes had Two Chiefs by way. A war time chief and a peace time chief.

When they changed the name of Squaw Valley, I thought what's next?

Here's the answer..

What’s wrong with changing the name of “Squaw Valley”? If there were a ski resort called “Cunt Mountain”, we’d change the name.

This is true even if the original naming of Cunt Mountain had nothing to do with the modern use of the word. We’d still change it.

Besides, it is kind of weird to name a California resort after an Algonquin or Mohawk word.

What’s wrong with changing the name of “Squaw Valley”? If there were a ski resort called “Cunt Mountain”, we’d change the name.

This is true even if the original naming of Cunt Mountain had nothing to do with the modern use of the word. We’d still change it.

Besides, it is kind of weird to name a California resort after an Algonquin or Mohawk word.
How white are you? What twisted logic made you think of such a word? I hate that word. Try another one dad of 4 kids

I recall this issue from near where I grew up. This is a 1966 newspaper article. The name has since been changed to Turtlehead Pond, as has the mountain ledge nearby similarly named.

Last edited:
I recall this issue from near where I grew up. This is a 1966 newspaper article. The name has since been changed to Turtlehead Pond, as has the mountain nearby similarly named.

Wow, another word I hate. You two boys are stepping in some "SS." I love this State. I will ask my wife about the name "Squaw" and report back before June 5th. That is my last day here, for reals Grandpa. I am retiring from the forum. I will not change my mind this time. It's time Gramps that i trun my attention to the TRUTH.

How white are you? What twisted logic made you think of such a word? I hate that word. Try another one dad of 4 kids
What do you think “ojisquaw” means in Mohawk?

I picked an English word with the same meaning and connotation.

It’s why people want it changed. They don’t like hearing it either.

What do you think “ojisquaw” means in Mohawk?

I picked an English word with the same meaning and connotation.

It’s why people want it changed. They don’t like hearing it either.
Will they change the name of Estipah-skikikini-kots?

@dad4 I spoke to my wife about Squaw and Chief. She thinks both words are beautiful in proper context and from a pure soul. They can and have been highjacked for political purposes or in a derogatory way, like you just did. I see "Squaw" as a single Native American who is avaible to date in todays world. I see "Chief" as the head Patriarch or head Matriarch or both of a family or tribe. The Boss is the Chief and the Squaw is Single female. If the "C" is want you think of, then you have problems. My wife say's that is a weird way to see Squaw and C*@t as two and the same but hey, dad does.

LETTERS
Is ‘squaw’ really an offensive name and to whom?
I noticed the common practice of stating with authority “what Native Americans think” or “what Native Americans find offensive.” Native Americans are no more a monolith than Caucasians or other races.

BY LETTER TO THE EDITOR
POSTED ON FEBRUARY 1, 2022

To the editor:

In your article, “Selectboard to consider name change for ‘offensive’ Squaw Peak Road,” reference was made to a press release where U.S. Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland said, “The term [“squaw”] has historically been used as an offensive ethnic, racial, and sexist slur, particularly for Indigenous women.” You would think this would be a good point in Haaland’s press release to identify the term’s use in an offensive context, since its use as an offensive term is not widely known. The Secretary did not provide examples of “squaw” being used as a racial slur. When others try to show examples of how the word is used offensively, the examples seem extremely isolated and contrived. In my entire life, I have never heard the word “squaw” used in an intended offensive manner, as generally accepted racial epithets are. It is highly probable that you, the reader, have similarly not witnessed “squaw” being used as an epithet in everyday life.

As someone who knows a considerable number of Native Americans — far more than most people in Berkshire Country — I noticed the common practice of stating with authority “what Native Americans think” or “what Native Americans find offensive.” Native Americans are no more a monolith than Caucasians or other races. I have met many Native Americans who are not offended by the term “Indian” and even brandish T-shirts or hats with such statements as “Indian pride” or other messages including “Indian.”

As to the question, “Is the term ‘squaw’ offensive?,” I have spoken to a close Native American female friend of mine of 100-percent blood who might find the term “squaw” outdated, but not offensive. I wouldn’t say, “I called up my squaw friend the other day,” not so much because it would be offensive, but because it would sound weird. When I was talking about an old legend on the other hand, as I did once in a newspaper column about a man who jumped off Monument Mountain to commit suicide, I made a reference to the legend of the Indian “squaw” that jumped off the mountain. The use of the term “squaw” here seems more fitting, as would “Squaw Peak.” The term is invariably used only in reference to fables or someone who lived a long time ago, and it is in this honorific manner that roughly 650 places on federal lands make reference to “squaw.”

The problem with maintaining that the word “squaw” is a racial epithet, is that unlike literally every other racial epithet in existence, the word was not only created by the very ethnic group it supposedly offends, it is being used in a way that the original ethnic group intended — to refer to a young, Native American woman. Being offended by “squaw” would be akin to being offended by other Native American words such as canoe, lacrosse, moose, or toboggan. These words are used in the way Native Americans intended to use them. In fact, “squaw” is from the Massachusetts Native American tribe. (Massachusetts is one of several Algonquin family languages.)

One Native American electronic newspaper article (“The Word Squaw: Offensive or Not?,” Indian Country Today, March 23, 2017, updated September 13, 2018) concludes, “Most historians and linguists appear to be more supportive of a non-derogatory meaning” despite the fact that “the use of the word is still looked at as offensive to many others.” Ordinarily, I would never reference the race of an author, but I think mentioning the article was written in a Native American newspaper by a Native American author — Vincent Schilling, an Akwesasne Mohawk — should quickly dispense the claim of bias. I encourage everyone who has an interest in this subject to invest five minutes reading Mr. Schilling’s piece.

Debunking another misconception, Indian Country Today reports, “According to Dr. Marge Bruchac, an Abenaki historical consultant, Squaw means the totality of being female and the Algonquin version of the word ‘esqua’ ‘squa’ ‘skwa’ does not translate to a woman’s female anatomy.”

If people want to change the name of their street, have at it. But I think Indian Country’s conclusions are correct about the word “squaw.”

Rinaldo Del Gallo, III
Pittsfield

LETTERS
Is ‘squaw’ really an offensive name and to whom?
I noticed the common practice of stating with authority “what Native Americans think” or “what Native Americans find offensive.” Native Americans are no more a monolith than Caucasians or other races.

BY LETTER TO THE EDITOR
POSTED ON FEBRUARY 1, 2022

To the editor:

In your article, “Selectboard to consider name change for ‘offensive’ Squaw Peak Road,” reference was made to a press release where U.S. Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland said, “The term [“squaw”] has historically been used as an offensive ethnic, racial, and sexist slur, particularly for Indigenous women.” You would think this would be a good point in Haaland’s press release to identify the term’s use in an offensive context, since its use as an offensive term is not widely known. The Secretary did not provide examples of “squaw” being used as a racial slur. When others try to show examples of how the word is used offensively, the examples seem extremely isolated and contrived. In my entire life, I have never heard the word “squaw” used in an intended offensive manner, as generally accepted racial epithets are. It is highly probable that you, the reader, have similarly not witnessed “squaw” being used as an epithet in everyday life.

As someone who knows a considerable number of Native Americans — far more than most people in Berkshire Country — I noticed the common practice of stating with authority “what Native Americans think” or “what Native Americans find offensive.” Native Americans are no more a monolith than Caucasians or other races. I have met many Native Americans who are not offended by the term “Indian” and even brandish T-shirts or hats with such statements as “Indian pride” or other messages including “Indian.”

As to the question, “Is the term ‘squaw’ offensive?,” I have spoken to a close Native American female friend of mine of 100-percent blood who might find the term “squaw” outdated, but not offensive. I wouldn’t say, “I called up my squaw friend the other day,” not so much because it would be offensive, but because it would sound weird. When I was talking about an old legend on the other hand, as I did once in a newspaper column about a man who jumped off Monument Mountain to commit suicide, I made a reference to the legend of the Indian “squaw” that jumped off the mountain. The use of the term “squaw” here seems more fitting, as would “Squaw Peak.” The term is invariably used only in reference to fables or someone who lived a long time ago, and it is in this honorific manner that roughly 650 places on federal lands make reference to “squaw.”

The problem with maintaining that the word “squaw” is a racial epithet, is that unlike literally every other racial epithet in existence, the word was not only created by the very ethnic group it supposedly offends, it is being used in a way that the original ethnic group intended — to refer to a young, Native American woman. Being offended by “squaw” would be akin to being offended by other Native American words such as canoe, lacrosse, moose, or toboggan. These words are used in the way Native Americans intended to use them. In fact, “squaw” is from the Massachusetts Native American tribe. (Massachusetts is one of several Algonquin family languages.)

One Native American electronic newspaper article (“The Word Squaw: Offensive or Not?,” Indian Country Today, March 23, 2017, updated September 13, 2018) concludes, “Most historians and linguists appear to be more supportive of a non-derogatory meaning” despite the fact that “the use of the word is still looked at as offensive to many others.” Ordinarily, I would never reference the race of an author, but I think mentioning the article was written in a Native American newspaper by a Native American author — Vincent Schilling, an Akwesasne Mohawk — should quickly dispense the claim of bias. I encourage everyone who has an interest in this subject to invest five minutes reading Mr. Schilling’s piece.

Debunking another misconception, Indian Country Today reports, “According to Dr. Marge Bruchac, an Abenaki historical consultant, Squaw means the totality of being female and the Algonquin version of the word ‘esqua’ ‘squa’ ‘skwa’ does not translate to a woman’s female anatomy.”

If people want to change the name of their street, have at it. But I think Indian Country’s conclusions are correct about the word “squaw.”

Rinaldo Del Gallo, III
Pittsfield
It depends on whether you believe the word came from Algonquin squa (woman) or Mohawk obisquaw (vagina).

Many people believe the cruder derivation. They are probably wrong, but it no longer matters. Words mean whatever people think they mean.

It depends on whether you believe the word came from Algonquin squa (woman) or Mohawk obisquaw (vagina).

Many people believe the cruder derivation. They are probably wrong, but it no longer matters. Words mean whatever people think they mean.
And you told us all want you think of a Squaw. Nice dad, nice one.....

Many people?
Many native Americans people?
Many wok people with nothing better do do than look for a pot to stir?
Who?
Think Kansas City will change the name of their football team?
What a bunch of nonsense....

So because "some" people define the word as vulgar the name must be changed? What about Heaveny Valley... you think there are atheist who are offended by the name and it should be changed?

And how about the name Palisades for a ski resort? What marketing genius came up with that..

So because "some" people define the word as vulgar the name must be changed? What about Heaveny Valley... you think there are atheist who are offended by the name and it should be changed?

And how about the name Palisades for a ski resort? What marketing genius came up with that..
Yep. Words exist to convey meaning. When a word gets misunderstood too often, the word dies.

When was the last time you heard someone call someone else "niggardly"? The word is essentially dead, because it can no longer convey its intended meaning.

So, if "Heavenly" starts getting misinterpreted in a bad direction, they'll change that name too.

You can fight against it if you want. Strike a blow for etymology, and all that is true in language.

Godspeed, Senor Quijote.

While we are on the topic, why do they call it June Mountain when it usually closes about the end of April?

Yep. Words exist to convey meaning. When a word gets misunderstood too often, the word dies.

When was the last time you heard someone call someone else "niggardly"? The word is essentially dead, because it can no longer convey its intended meaning.

So, if "Heavenly" starts getting misinterpreted in a bad direction, they'll change that name too.

You can fight against it if you want. Strike a blow for etymology, and all that is true in language.

Godspeed, Senor Quijote.
Reminds me of the three San Francisco school board members that were recalled The recall was a victory for parents who were angered that the district spent time deciding whether to rename a third of its schools last year instead of focusing on reopening them.
A bunch of woke pot stirring horse shit...

Godspeed, Senor Quijote.
Oh dear.. yourr one of those "evolve" or get left behind folks.

Back