Cal Berkeley Coach (women) abusive

Re the Cal Berkeley coach's behavior, I was recently reminded of this re UNC's Anson Dorrance:

I traveled back down to North Carolina in 2007 to watch Anson Dorrance put his team through preseason workouts...The losers in bogies (a 2v2 drill with a goalie) had to, as Dorrance put it, "bend over." They trudged into the goal area, turned their backs to the field, and put their hands on their ankles as teammates kicked soccer balls as hard as they could into their backsides. ---Warrior Girls, page 216
I think part of the problem is people are being misled by the gratuitous description in the book. Salacious sells and here is some guys account of what he saw. It was obviously something new to this guy and wasn't familiar with the fairly common activity of "butts up" and he exaggerated the activity. To be honest I've never seen a coach suggest butts up, but kids do it all the time as a suggestion for the "loser" of some activity at practice. It's far from point blank shots "as hard as they could" and anyone who has seen butts up can attest that its not some "pseudo sexual dominance thing" as many of you are suggesting. Why you see it that way is probably a discussion for the Off Topic forum. You'd be really uncomfortable with my daughter's dance competitions... I haven't been exactly thrilled on occasion.

I don’t disagree they’re different, but I think they’re only slightly different. If you’re wearing hockey pants and pads, they’re real different. In this case, in my mind, it’s humiliation, sexual or both. Boner or no boner. Do 18-year old girls/women really need either of those? It’s similar to what Neil has been accused of. If you’re playing at that level, what’s to be learned? I’m all for putting the freshman through their paces, which we used to call “hazing”, but I also think it must serve a purpose and I don’t see one here.
Also, what if the girl has her period? So much could happen. Not acceptable. Run sprints, take shots to improve, whatever, this is unacceptable. It's done to humiliate and dominate. If the coach can't think of a better way to improve player performance he/she needs to be fired.

Have interacted with dozens of coaches, been involved in multiple teams and soccer environments at all ages and have never had a player involved in this “game”. It is not as common as everyone is saying here-

It was played more in the past. Most people have figured out that it is inappropriate and best not played.

No, you are thin and dated. Your bullshit. Your bigoted attitude against women is as vile as anything anybody else has said here about anybody else.

I’ve actually done fairly well in life, unlike your effort to compose that sentence. If you want to insult me, have someone proof your work, fool. Babbling about some fucking ramp. Are you drunk or triggered, because you shit your pants on that post?

There are 12 step programs for Magat bigot cultists like you. So much fun to see so much losing for y’all.

There are 12 step programs for Magat bigot cultists like you. So much fun to see so much losing for y’all.

Is that all you have in your quiver, Robin Hood? “Bigots, Racists and Magats”.

How stale and uninspiring. We’re you always the last kid picked during P.E.?

My thought is that his contact should not have been renewed a while ago. His record alone should not have supported him being the coach.

Cal should get into the tourney every year. Also if he has to go to those means to motivate players he is not recruiting the right players and fostering the right team environment for success.

My thought is that his contact should not have been renewed a while ago. His record alone should not have supported him being the coach.

Cal should get into the tourney every year. Also if he has to go to those means to motivate players he is not recruiting the right players and fostering the right team environment for success.

Berkeley's women's soccer Graduation Success Rate has been in the bottom half of PAC-12 for years.

I know, it's a tough school.

I agree that Cal soccer should be better, but by how much and why? The issue seems to be more with the department itself maybe? In women’s sports, Soccer seems to be one of the best in their department, if not the best. Basketball is winless this year and just terrible in general. Softball is around .500 and average at best. Volleyball is also awful. If he should be fired based on performance, pretty much every single women’s sports head coaches should be fired at Cal.

Why not? Plenty of people are being laid off across the US. Why would women’s soccer coaches be immune?
I don't want anyone to lose their means to support themselves and family, but I would think he could get more involved at Mustang if he were to not have his contact extended at Cal.

If a coach is doing a bad job or harming players then they should be fired. It is about performance for the players and should also be about performance for the coaches as well. If you can't be successful and achieve as a coach then you should find another profession.

Back