Bad News Thread

Here is a new study out saying that asymptomatics do not really transmit the disease. They also observed that people who got covid again were not spreaders themselves.

This should be BIG NEWS.

"The detection rate of asymptomatic positive cases was very low, and there was no evidence of transmission from asymptomatic positive persons to traced close contacts."

"Previous studies have shown that asymptomatic individuals infected with SARS-CoV-2 virus were infectious3, and might subsequently become symptomatic4. Compared with symptomatic patients, asymptomatic infected persons generally have low quantity of viral loads and a short duration of viral shedding, which decrease the transmission risk of SARS-CoV-25. In the present study, virus culture was carried out on samples from asymptomatic positive cases, and found no viable SARS-CoV-2 virus. All close contacts of the asymptomatic positive cases tested negative, indicating that the asymptomatic positive cases detected in this study were unlikely to be infectious."

"There was a low repositive rate in recovered COVID-19 patients in Wuhan. Results of virus culturing and contract tracing found no evidence that repositive cases in recovered COVID-19 patients were infectious, which is consistent with evidence from other sources. A study in Korea found no confirmed COVID-19 cases by monitoring 790 contacts of 285 repositive cases6. The official surveillance of recovered COVID-19 patients in China also revealed no evidence on the infectiousness of repositive cases7."

Here is a new study out saying that asymptomatics do not really transmit the disease. They also observed that people who got covid again were not spreaders themselves.

This should be BIG NEWS.

"The detection rate of asymptomatic positive cases was very low, and there was no evidence of transmission from asymptomatic positive persons to traced close contacts."

"Previous studies have shown that asymptomatic individuals infected with SARS-CoV-2 virus were infectious3, and might subsequently become symptomatic4. Compared with symptomatic patients, asymptomatic infected persons generally have low quantity of viral loads and a short duration of viral shedding, which decrease the transmission risk of SARS-CoV-25. In the present study, virus culture was carried out on samples from asymptomatic positive cases, and found no viable SARS-CoV-2 virus. All close contacts of the asymptomatic positive cases tested negative, indicating that the asymptomatic positive cases detected in this study were unlikely to be infectious."

"There was a low repositive rate in recovered COVID-19 patients in Wuhan. Results of virus culturing and contract tracing found no evidence that repositive cases in recovered COVID-19 patients were infectious, which is consistent with evidence from other sources. A study in Korea found no confirmed COVID-19 cases by monitoring 790 contacts of 285 repositive cases6. The official surveillance of recovered COVID-19 patients in China also revealed no evidence on the infectiousness of repositive cases7."

I wonder if there's a distinction between presymptomatics in the 24 hours before symptoms and asymptomatics in general. If there isn't masks were sold that we needed to protect people from asymptomatic people. It could be the explanation for why though studies are showing some mask benefits (in ideal conditions), why they don't seem to be making much of a practical difference in the real world.

In the tale of more hypocrisy from the good governor, after spending weeks telling everyone that Thanksgiving was going to be a catastrophe and people should stay home, it has been revealed he will have his 89 year old mother and 2 daughters over for thanksgiving. Not the big assembly he usually has, but still 4 households.

testing site in the VC today backed up all the way from Moorpark College onto the freeway. Tons of people wanting to get tested ahead of visiting relatives for the thanksgiving holiday. Testing sites over the weekend were also very full.

testing site in the VC today backed up all the way from Moorpark College onto the freeway. Tons of people wanting to get tested ahead of visiting relatives for the thanksgiving holiday. Testing sites over the weekend were also very full.

Possible silver lining is the prospect of Holiday gatherings is casting a wider testing net than previously seen.

This is the page where the CDC has a study the looked at a number of studies on mask effectiveness. May of this year.

"Although mechanistic studies support the potential effect of hand hygiene or face masks, evidence from 14 randomized controlled trials of these measures did not support a substantial effect on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza. We similarly found limited evidence on the effectiveness of improved hygiene and environmental cleaning."

"Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids (36). There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure. Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza."

From the National Institute of Health. September 2020

"Conclusion: Surgical mask wearing among individuals in non-healthcare settings is not significantly associated with reduction in ARI incidence in this meta-review."

"A total of 23,892 participants between 7 and 89 years old involved across 15 studies from 11 countries were involved."

In June 2020 the WHO had this to say:

"Many countries have recommended the use of fabric masks/face coverings for the general public. At the present time, the widespread use of masks by healthy people in the community setting is not yet supported by high quality or direct scientific evidence and there are potential benefits and harms to consider (see below)."

They still recommend masks, but note that there is not a scientific basis for the recommendation.

My biggest concern for masks is the false sense of protection they provide. I can see someone that may think they have Covid, but still go out to the grocery store or somewhere because they think their cloth mask will protect others. Pushing risks under the justification that wearing a mask will protect everyone is dangerous.

While we should follow the mask protocols when social distancing is not possible, I think our government and media should be honest about the limitations of masks.

My biggest concern for masks is the false sense of protection they provide. I can see someone that may think they have Covid, but still go out to the grocery store or somewhere because they think their cloth mask will protect others. Pushing risks under the justification that wearing a mask will protect everyone is dangerous.

While we should follow the mask protocols when social distancing is not possible, I think our government and media should be honest about the limitations of masks.

Mind boggling what's going on in New Mexico.

Our best and brightest are in charge.

Hey Bob?

What?

You know the thing people need the most is food. I have an idea. We should start limiting access and closing some locations down. It won't help, but it will show the people that the government is active and working hard to eliminate the virus.

I like it. Run with it. Draw up the exec order. I will sign it after I get back from lunch.

It appears that this was punitive. New level of insanity. I hope a judge puts a stop to it quickly.

This is exactly where I stand on masks. When I get into my car, I put on my seat belt because it’s safer than driving without wearing it, but there is no illusion that it completely protects me. I feel the same way about wearing a mask.

Four? Regardless of size of the store and/or number of employees? Was there any indication how they arrived at this policy? It seems so arbitrary.

Back