Average Teams That Overrate Themselves

Is this worse, or better, than a team that was at highest level last year, keeps the same roster, dropped down 2 levels, and now wins 14-0, 9-0, 8-0. Yet on their website, they still claim the team is at the top level. How is this good for anyone?

Is this worse, or better, than a team that was at highest level last year, keeps the same roster, dropped down 2 levels, and now wins 14-0, 9-0, 8-0. Yet on their website, they still claim the team is at the top level. How is this good for anyone?

If its olders, "highest level" for the girls is an ECNL team, and for the boys is either an MLS Next or ECNL team, how'd the team possibly drop out of those leagues without the club losing its spot??? If it's Coast, they usually won't let them do that. If it's Socal, I can see a team dropping NPL because of the costs and the commutes. It would have to be a youngers in SoCal, and if so, the danger in dropping from NPL to flight 2, or flight 1 to flight 3, is you'll lose all the players wanting to go to a higher level, particularly since if the team played at the highest level, the players are easy recruits from ECNL/MLS Teams as they get older. Doesn't seem very realistic...unless they are the very youngest, did this really happen? It seems like a sure fire way to lose the best in your squad.

It is worse because of cost, time, stress, and because of deceit (college recruitment etc). In your scenario, the parents from players on the same roster know what is going on and can change teams if they want college exposure. In my scenario, they put money, time, hopes, and trust into a coach that tells them they are going to get exposure at some high level event and they fall for it (and, yes, parents have some blame but so does every "sucker" in a con).

definitely catches your attention when a team in a SoCal Flight 3 bracket has half their roster with E64 patches on their sleeve :rolleyes:

definitely catches your attention when a team in a SoCal Flight 3 bracket has half their roster with E64 patches on their sleeve :rolleyes:

yes it does. and when their roster is almost exactly the same as last year's "NPL" team, same coach, and SoCAL GotSoccer ranking is pretty high, and the ranking page calls them a NPL team last year. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, as there must be a reason why they are now i F2/3, but a little odd.

Is it due to the schedule? Because of the small amount of teams and distances involved, some of the E64 teams aren't getting games every weekend. Clubs shuffling them around so they can get some play/practice time on downweekends and to fill out rosters of lower level teams?

Is it due to the schedule? Because of the small amount of teams and distances involved, some of the E64 teams aren't getting games every weekend. Clubs shuffling them around so they can get some play/practice time on downweekends and to fill out rosters of lower level teams?

yeah that's all good for getting players extra playing time. i just didn't expect that in a flight 3 game. i'd figure players with patches on their sleeves would be playing Flight 1 or Flight 2. at the end of the day, i'll just chalk it up to a learning experience for my team.

Is this the true worst kind of team?

I am talking about the team that is average, middle of Discovery or Premier at best, but puts everyone out to go to stay-and-play events up to 3000 miles away costing each player's parent's thousands in money and travel time (and sometimes at the cost of other things like grades). These teams would be ranked 80th or 90th if YSR was still around (it had a value at least as a reality check).

I am talking about teams that suck players/parents into thinking they are getting similar exposure to ECNL but are holding its best players back. Even if a recruiter showed to watch this team bomb out of group play at these events, the player would have to stand out while losing 0-5 because the other players on the field are below average.

I think ECNL doesn't really justify its cost either, in a cost benefit sense, for those not standing out in the lower end teams. But the coaches of teams finishing in the middle of what is effectively a third-tier, but having the team go across the country to bomb out, these coaches are the real snake-oil salesmen. Just stop it. Compete locally and look for better competition once you actually win something. Otherwise, let your best players know that they may be better off somewhere else.

YSR still exists, it an app now instead of a website. The app is called Soccer Rankings. It does need some help sorting out teams though; many of the franchise clubs are all mixed up or not properly identified. Aside from the few mix ups, the predictions have been surprising accurate so far this season

YSR still exists, it an app now instead of a website. The app is called Soccer Rankings. It does need some help sorting out teams though; many of the franchise clubs are all mixed up or not properly identified. Aside from the few mix ups, the predictions have been surprising accurate so far this season
The app is great and as I heard, is created by the same guy as YSR. In order to sort out any issues with your team, you have to have a paid membership ($10 a year) then it is pretty damn cool and better than the old one. I would love to talk to the guy about his algorithms because the app is pretty accurate when all sources are appropriately applied and even given certain teams with new players added.

Youth soccer has so many different tournaments, leagues, flights, levels, showcase, post season events to make people happy about winning but it's really about the players getting experience and having some fun learning.

If only the top tier teams played tournaments, clubs would lose $$ and the other 2/3rd of the players wouldn't want to pay those high fees.

Self over rate? Yeah maybe but showing positive improvement or over achievement at a tournament is always a possibility so that's why some play the game

Youth soccer has so many different tournaments, leagues, flights, levels, showcase, post season events to make people happy about winning but it's really about the players getting experience and having some fun learning.

If only the top tier teams played tournaments, clubs would lose $$ and the other 2/3rd of the players wouldn't want to pay those high fees.

Self over rate? Yeah maybe but showing positive improvement or over achievement at a tournament is always a possibility so that's why some play the game

The word "possibility" overstates the averageness of certain teams. Playing the lowest ECNL team 100 times, they would lose 100 times. So their coach politics his way to get entry into competitions where great non-ECNL teams try to stand out. Not earned. Taking advantage of the disarray at Cal South.

The well-documented result of this (videos available at Vimeo) show kids giving up on the field. Kicking the ball out of bounds instead of passing. Walking, walking, walking instead of taking two steps one way or another to open up. There was no fun to be seen.

Parents flushing away money that could be used for college. Players flushing away the most important development and scouting time of their lives.

The word "possibility" overstates the averageness of certain teams. Playing the lowest ECNL team 100 times, they would lose 100 times. So their coach politics his way to get entry into competitions where great non-ECNL teams try to stand out. Not earned. Taking advantage of the disarray at Cal South.

The well-documented result of this (videos available at Vimeo) show kids giving up on the field. Kicking the ball out of bounds instead of passing. Walking, walking, walking instead of taking two steps one way or another to open up. There was no fun to be seen.

Parents flushing away money that could be used for college. Players flushing away the most important development and scouting time of their lives.

Yeah the big majority of teams don't win tournaments so they all should skip them?

Small % of students are honor or APs so should all the rest not strive to get better, improve, tutor and improve to get to that level?

Youth soccer is all about the possibilities, yeah some are well over matched or over stated but that's same as the real world.

Almost everybody likes a underdog and seen many of teams overcome adversity, step up, get better, learn and have fun doing that.

It's almost always more rewarding for the player and teams to do well or beat higher ranked teams vs the other way around. The motivation factor and competition brings it out with some.

Do some spend too much, travel, or enter too many tournaments yeah maybe they do but then again some people pay thousands for school tutors, services, private training, etc..

The tournament that have selective acceptance can be better for the higher level teams.

This is funny 'Playing the lowest ECNL team 100 times, they would lose 100 times"

Talk about overrating, youth soccer is full of surprises but you have to wonder why some so called higher level teams enter tournaments that don't have the competition level their playing now.

ECNL teams playing non ones, 1-4 of those vs the other 100 teams in the tournament. Some would say that's sand bagging and they should stick with the higher levels ones like surf, Jefferson, Dallas, etc so it really goes both ways.

With respect to your statement in bold, don't be so sure. There are some low ECNL (boys/girls)/MLS Next/GA teams that would definitely lose more often than not to "lower league" teams that are even middle of the pack. The reality is that there are very few good teams with good coaches and committed players even at what we all perceive as the highest leagues. That's why the work a player does outside of their club team is essential.

With respect to your statement in bold, don't be so sure. There are some low ECNL (boys/girls)/MLS Next/GA teams that would definitely lose more often than not to "lower league" teams that are even middle of the pack. The reality is that there are very few good teams with good coaches and committed players even at what we all perceive as the highest leagues. That's why the work a player does outside of their club team is essential.

I'm well aware of the bottom of the ECNL pack. The average team I am describing would lose to the bottom ECNL team every time.

Yeah the big majority of teams don't win tournaments so they all should skip them?

Small % of students are honor or APs so should all the rest not strive to get better, improve, tutor and improve to get to that level?

Youth soccer is all about the possibilities, yeah some are well over matched or over stated but that's same as the real world.

Almost everybody likes a underdog and seen many of teams overcome adversity, step up, get better, learn and have fun doing that.

It's almost always more rewarding for the player and teams to do well or beat higher ranked teams vs the other way around. The motivation factor and competition brings it out with some.

Do some spend too much, travel, or enter too many tournaments yeah maybe they do but then again some people pay thousands for school tutors, services, private training, etc..

The tournament that have selective acceptance can be better for the higher level teams.

This is funny 'Playing the lowest ECNL team 100 times, they would lose 100 times"

Talk about overrating, youth soccer is full of surprises but you have to wonder why some so called higher level teams enter tournaments that don't have the competition level their playing now.

ECNL teams playing non ones, 1-4 of those vs the other 100 teams in the tournament. Some would say that's sand bagging and they should stick with the higher levels ones like surf, Jefferson, Dallas, etc so it really goes both ways.

They don't have to fly 3000 miles to get blown out by 7 non-ECNL, non-ECRL, non-GA teams.

You don't get recruited by walking around on the field with your head down as the other team passes around you and scores 8 goals, and that is repeated 7 times against unremarkable teams.

I'm sorry, are you defending a coach who convinces (or requires) a team to do these things?

Hello coach.

They don't have to fly 3000 miles to get blown out by 7 non-ECNL, non-ECRL, non-GA teams.

You don't get recruited by walking around on the field with your head down as the other team passes around you and scores 8 goals, and that is repeated 7 times against unremarkable teams.

I'm sorry, are you defending a coach who convinces (or requires) a team to do these things?

Hello coach.

What are you talking about something in your head?

My players are both in college, one plays and the other is a soon to be graduating medical student.

Every players on both there teams where recruited regardless of flying cross country ot blowing out other teams.

Youth sports is a 20 billion dollars industry, parents have some disposable income and they spend but 100% agree some get left out due to economics

I guess you have/had some prior experience on travel and tournaments you don't think are worth it. Fine to share and others may feel the same way.

The chip on your shoulder is big don't let it cloud your opinions on how others want to educate or spend on youth sports entertainment.

What are you talking about something in your head?

My players are both in college, one plays and the other is a soon to be graduating medical student.

Every players on both there teams where recruited regardless of flying cross country ot blowing out other teams.

Youth sports is a 20 billion dollars industry, parents have some disposable income and they spend but 100% agree some get left out due to economics

I guess you have/had some prior experience on travel and tournaments you don't think are worth it. Fine to share and others may feel the same way.

The chip on your shoulder is big don't let it cloud your opinions on how others want to educate or spend on youth sports entertainment.
There's a sucker born every minute, right coach? Let the suckers spend the money how they want, and heaven forbid calling these coaches out on selling a bill of goods but not delivering on a forum.

Don't worry about my judgment. Fully funded elite athletes don't worry about these things for themselves.

There's a sucker born every minute, right coach? Let the suckers spend the money how they want, and heaven forbid calling these coaches out on selling a bill of goods but not delivering on a forum.

Don't worry about my judgment. Fully funded elite athletes don't worry about these things for themselves.

Your living in a fantasy island my poster.

Take a break and refocus.

I've been here for many years as a parent posting in case your just realizing your way off..going to the deep end

Your living in a fantasy island my poster.

Take a break and refocus.

I've been here for many years as a parent posting in case your just realizing your way off..going to the deep end

Yet you can't stop responding.

I am a guy typing stuff on the internet expressing the opinion that some coaches are selling snake oil. Someone call the looney bin!

Yet you can't stop responding.

I am a guy typing stuff on the internet expressing the opinion that some coaches are selling snake oil. Someone call the looney bin!

Ok at least it's a simple point that's nobody's arguing with. Yes that happens and you really feel burned about some past experiences.

Good luck with therapy or whatever you need to get over it with on the forums.

Back