Average Teams That Overrate Themselves

Woodwork

SILVER ELITE
Is this the true worst kind of team?

I am talking about the team that is average, middle of Discovery or Premier at best, but puts everyone out to go to stay-and-play events up to 3000 miles away costing each player's parent's thousands in money and travel time (and sometimes at the cost of other things like grades). These teams would be ranked 80th or 90th if YSR was still around (it had a value at least as a reality check).

I am talking about teams that suck players/parents into thinking they are getting similar exposure to ECNL but are holding its best players back. Even if a recruiter showed to watch this team bomb out of group play at these events, the player would have to stand out while losing 0-5 because the other players on the field are below average.

I think ECNL doesn't really justify its cost either, in a cost benefit sense, for those not standing out in the lower end teams. But the coaches of teams finishing in the middle of what is effectively a third-tier, but having the team go across the country to bomb out, these coaches are the real snake-oil salesmen. Just stop it. Compete locally and look for better competition once you actually win something. Otherwise, let your best players know that they may be better off somewhere else.

Is this the true worst kind of team?

I am talking about the team that is average, middle of Discovery or Premier at best, but puts everyone out to go to stay-and-play events up to 3000 miles away costing each player's parent's thousands in money and travel time (and sometimes at the cost of other things like grades). These teams would be ranked 80th or 90th if YSR was still around (it had a value at least as a reality check).

I am talking about teams that suck players/parents into thinking they are getting similar exposure to ECNL but are holding its best players back. Even if a recruiter showed to watch this team bomb out of group play at these events, the player would have to stand out while losing 0-5 because the other players on the field are below average.

I think ECNL doesn't really justify its cost either, in a cost benefit sense, for those not standing out in the lower end teams. But the coaches of teams finishing in the middle of what is effectively a third-tier, but having the team go across the country to bomb out, these coaches are the real snake-oil salesmen. Just stop it. Compete locally and look for better competition once you actually win something. Otherwise, let your best players know that they may be better off somewhere else.
Your hypothetical is likely based on actual events and in today's landscape it probably would make more sense to compete in local showcases rather than travel 3000 miles away for similar exposure.

On the older boys end, almost any of the higher teams that are not an MLS Academy or the handful of teams that can keep up with them (e.g. some of the MLS Strikers teams) is an "average team that overrate themselves".

On the older boys end, almost any of the higher teams that are not an MLS Academy or the handful of teams that can keep up with them (e.g. some of the MLS Strikers teams) is an "average team that overrate themselves".
That may be true if the only objective is to play in a top professional league but many boys from non-MLS teams are playing in college, including D1. Recruitment at tournaments is more geared towards college than pro teams.

Sometimes it's not the coaches fault. Sometimes the parents demand it. They are happy with the local club they play on. It's probably a grand or so cheaper than the "mega club" down the street.
Sometimes the players say "We want to travel to a tournament."
To which the coach should say:

"Ha ha. Oh wait, you're serious? You know we are not a very good team, right?"

"Absolutely. Las Vegas or Oceanside? Because the same teams will be there."

"I know high school grades don't seem important to you now, but that's the weekend before finals. Even if you somehow managed that, it would be irresponsible to plan something for that weekend, especially for the other players who have no hope of playing soccer to get into college."

"You know, I think it would be good for you to be exposed to a national event with a competitive team. Let me reach out to some other coaches to set you up with a guest spot on a team going to a showcase in Las Vegas."

"Let's do it. Give me a couple months to get some guest players to replace you."

"Let me save you some time. Give me $2,500 and I'll let you watch me flush it down the toilet behind concessions."

"I'm sorry about what I did to you and I'm sorry that it's probably too late now to fix it."

That may be true if the only objective is to play in a top professional league but many boys from non-MLS teams are playing in college, including D1. Recruitment at tournaments is more geared towards college than pro teams.

OK but the overwhelming number of players from LAFC and LA Galaxy academy do not make the "top professional league". You can count the number of homegrown players for the La Galaxy first team on one hand...for Los Dos it's more but I'm not sure Los Dos would be considered top professional. I was more addressing the title the OP put up, which on the boys end applies to pretty much all of the second tier MLS teams and below.

Sorry for the tangent, but are you singling out the Strikers teams based on their record or personal experience or both? Also wondering what their style of play is like if you’ve seen them play

Sorry for the tangent, but are you singling out the Strikers teams based on their record or personal experience or both? Also wondering what their style of play is like if you’ve seen them play

Both. Have seen a couple of their teams go up against Real Salt Lake, LAFC, and the Galaxy and win. If you look at the standings, they are regularly at the top of their brackets. There are other teams that can hold their own against the academy teams too, but that club in particular seems to be able to build them.

My impression is most (not all) of the MLS Academy teams in that age group on the upper end of the brackets have a similar style of play: it's neither pure possession, nor run/long ball (like the system which TFA so famously used to destroy Manchester at MIC). While they all have a different emphasis here and there (such as whether the GK will punt and how often), it's probably best described as the "American academy style" which has become somewhat possession oriented. You get more variation at the lower and younger levels because the back aren't strong enough to maintain a possession game, and therefore coaches are forced to use techniques to hide their players weaknesses.

OK but the overwhelming number of players from LAFC and LA Galaxy academy do not make the "top professional league".

I remember reading that only 0.5% of academy players in Europe make ANY money playing ANY level of professional soccer. (We are talking all the way down to tier 4, 5 and below...)

And in England, only 180 of 1.5 MILLION boys who play organized youth soccer today will ever get on a Premier League roster. (That's 0.012%)

I assume most MLS youth academy players face the same fate here in the US.
You've got to be head and shoulders above your teammates while playing up 1-2 years to have any shot at making an MLS team.

It’s just the way we are. Each of us remembers his day in the sun and see that as the real self.

The real me is the athletic kid who hit two home runs in one game. I’m certainly not that guy with a .140 batting average overall.

My daughter’s soccer team? Top notch. They made a serious run at state cup 3 years ago and would have won it all if not for that bad offside call in semi-finals.

My son? Straight A student in 8th grade. But you know, college isn’t for everyone, and the lawyer tells us that the arrest was pure entrapment. That boy is gonna do amazing things, just like his old man.

Given all that, are you surprised that thirty teams see themselves as in the top ten?

We had a choice of going to Surf Cup or playing at Silverlakes for the Summer Showcase. Most parents live in Corona. Daughter already committed so we would do whatever the team wanted. Surf Cup is Surf Cup, but they wanted 10 rooms reserved. So total for the team including team fees but not including gas was going to be about $750 per family. The Summer Showcase will run $150 per family and no cost for gas. Big negative is the heat.

I'd put us at the top of Premier or Discover, similar to an average ECRL team, but can't see more than 3-4 girls playing college. I imagine these same type of parents you describe probably over estimate how good their player is as well. Probably the toughest thing is to evaluate how good your kid is.

It’s just the way we are. Each of us remembers his day in the sun and see that as the real self.

The real me is the athletic kid who hit two home runs in one game. I’m certainly not that guy with a .140 batting average overall.

My daughter’s soccer team? Top notch. They made a serious run at state cup 3 years ago and would have won it all if not for that bad offside call in semi-finals.

My son? Straight A student in 8th grade. But you know, college isn’t for everyone, and the lawyer tells us that the arrest was pure entrapment. That boy is gonna do amazing things, just like his old man.

Given all that, are you surprised that thirty teams see themselves as in the top ten?

Still reliving that bad offside call from 3 years ago? lol. they would have won if they hadn't shanked those two other open goal opportunities. And i don't even know you or that game, but I can just imagine... My daughter's team would have won their first game this weekend if they could have just found the back of the goal. And yeah, i'm a ref, so i'm biased for refs.

Still reliving that bad offside call from 3 years ago? lol. they would have won if they hadn't shanked those two other open goal opportunities. And i don't even know you or that game, but I can just imagine... My daughter's team would have won their first game this weekend if they could have just found the back of the goal. And yeah, i'm a ref, so i'm biased for refs.
If you’re going to believe everything I wrote in that post, then the least you could do is wish my son luck at his court hearing.

If you’re going to believe everything I wrote in that post, then the least you could do is wish my son luck at his court hearing.

I read the rest of your post, and was wondering about that, then just assumed you had some personal issues at home i shouldn't comment on, lol.

On the girl's side the reality is very few players ever make it to play in college. Even less in D1. A strong ECNL team which is the best of the best is lucky to end up with half of the girls playing D1 (though more will play at D2 etc.) Most D1 teams have 30+ players with only maybe 20-22 traveling and maybe 3-4 subs getting meaningful minutes. Only 14 full scholarships to share if fully funded. So the path from an above average younger youth team to meaningful D1 minutes is very difficult and you are kid is not likely going to make it there from an average premier of discovery team. Anyone that is selling you on spending the money on these level of teams with the idea it will lead there is just trying to make money off of you. Get your daughter on a ECNL or a GDA team. If they can hang there then spend the money.

We had a choice of going to Surf Cup or playing at Silverlakes for the Summer Showcase. Most parents live in Corona. Daughter already committed so we would do whatever the team wanted. Surf Cup is Surf Cup, but they wanted 10 rooms reserved. So total for the team including team fees but not including gas was going to be about $750 per family. The Summer Showcase will run $150 per family and no cost for gas. Big negative is the heat.

I'd put us at the top of Premier or Discover, similar to an average ECRL team, but can't see more than 3-4 girls playing college. I imagine these same type of parents you describe probably over estimate how good their player is as well. Probably the toughest thing is to evaluate how good your kid is.

The type of team I am thinking of didn't get in to Surf Cup or Silverlakes but are asked to pony up for plane tickets.

All good cons exploit the egos of their victims. Parents and players may have responsibility to not let their egos get the best of them, sure, but the coaches know better. I feel sorry for the parents and players that fall for the con.

Surf Cup is Surf Cup, but they wanted 10 rooms reserved. So total for the team including team fees but not including gas was going to be about $750 per family.

A lot of teams from LA/OC get stay to play waived. Maybe it's for clubs entering a lot of teams? Not sure.
If they need one more team in the bracket or something, I can't imagine them not working with you to waive that...
Commuting from Corona wouldn't be so terrible - down the 15 to the 76 should take just over an hour with no traffic (no guarantees with traffic...)

Big negative is the heat.

The heat in Silverlakes is unbearable.
But so is $750/family... -_-

I know a couple of real good soccer players that turned down playing college soccer when they came to the realization that it would be difficult to major in a rigorous STEM subject while playing soccer in college. It's tough to make that choice they have played it for so many years.

Back