Amanda Cromwell in the news again

If you're not familiar with Amanda she was the UCLA coach that was caught accepting bribes to get non players in to the school. https://heavy.com/news/2019/03/lauren-isackson/

Sounds like the players union raised the flag on her + the league investigating "retaliation".

1. How could Pride not have known something like this would happen. Amanda has already proven that she is ethically challenged.

2. The professional players union stepping up to protect their people shows why college players need to get paid in $$$ so that can experience the same type protections + stop being exploited.

At a minimum, it seems well established that Cromwell agreed to roster a fake player(s) on her soccer team at UCLA for the sole purpose of enabling the "player" to make an end run around the admissions process, and that she knew that UCLA employees were improperly benefiting from her compliance in the scam.

There isn't any public evidence that she personally benefited or also partook in the bribes. Even still, the information we do have about her involvement strongly suggests she was indeed "ethically challenged" in this situation.

At a minimum, it seems well established that Cromwell agreed to roster a fake player(s) on her soccer team at UCLA for the sole purpose of enabling the "player" to make an end run around the admissions process, and that she knew that UCLA employees were improperly benefiting from her compliance in the scam.

There isn't any public evidence that she personally benefited or also partook in the bribes. Even still, the information we do have about her involvement strongly suggests she was indeed "ethically challenged" in this situation.
Thank you + I agree, where theres smoke 99% of the time there's fire.

Was the player "rostered?" I don't know, but according to the links you supplied she was the team's manager and wore a uniform number that was outside of the sequence of the other players. Bat-boys get uniforms in the big leagues, but they aren't really "rostered."

Did Cromwell know that the player was "making an end run about the admissions process?" Your links don't say that either. Nor do they say that Cromwell "knew that UCLA employees were improperly benefitting." The last part sounds completely false, because it is unlikely that the people getting the bribes would have told her that. It is more plausible to me that the mens' coach (Saucedo) asked Cromwell to take the player on as a manager as a coach-to-coach favor. If so, I don't see anything wrong with that and am 100% certain that it happens frequently in college sports.

Here is what I want to know, and maybe you can supply an answer. Did any other person actually lose a spot on the playing roster to her? Does a non-playing manager count as a "rostered player?"

No soccer experience, but she still got a spot on elite UCLA team in college admissions scandal - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

Yes, a player was rostered as midfielder. Said to have played for a league where nobody remembers her. I think its more likely Amanda Cromwell knew about the situation and less likely that she just did a favor for another coach to have her rostered on her team without even seeing if she could even play soccer. But i guess that's your opinion.

If you're not familiar with Amanda she was the UCLA coach that was caught accepting bribes to get non players in to the school. https://heavy.com/news/2019/03/lauren-isackson/

Sounds like the players union raised the flag on her + the league investigating "retaliation".

1. How could Pride not have known something like this would happen. Amanda has already proven that she is ethically challenged.

2. The professional players union stepping up to protect their people shows why college players need to get paid in $$$ so that can experience the same type protections + stop being exploited.
You want them taxed on those scholarships, too, then right?

No one is exploited. People choose to play college sports. It is an awesome experience for many people.

The UCLA coach who was caught excepting bribes was the men's coach, not Cromwell. He is in prison for it.

From Insider "There is no record of misconduct from either Cromwell or Greene during their time at UCLA. But Bruins star Mia Fishel opted against continuing to play under both coaches after the Pride selected her with the fifth-overall pick in the 2022 NWSL Draft.". Well LMFAO... There was soo much misconduct at UCLA IMO (hearsay) but the affected girls were too afraid to file reports. Another of the teams cancers went over to LMU and it took over a year for the girls to start filing complaints. I also heard that UCLA had similar issues with that coach but I suspect there was 'no misconduct'. Shit gets real in the business world and this twat made the mistake of thinking these adult players would be afraid like a college student with a scholarship on the line. I honestly hope this is related to MIA and her wanting to come back to NWSL but not under the racist (hearsay also) and abusive twat.

Do you think a head coach would roster a player on their elite team that doesn’t have any soccer experience and not know about it?

From Insider "There is no record of misconduct from either Cromwell or Greene during their time at UCLA. But Bruins star Mia Fishel opted against continuing to play under both coaches after the Pride selected her with the fifth-overall pick in the 2022 NWSL Draft.". Well LMFAO... There was soo much misconduct at UCLA IMO (hearsay) but the affected girls were too afraid to file reports. Another of the teams cancers went over to LMU and it took over a year for the girls to start filing complaints. I also heard that UCLA had similar issues with that coach but I suspect there was 'no misconduct'. Shit gets real in the business world and this twat made the mistake of thinking these adult players would be afraid like a college student with a scholarship on the line. I honestly hope this is related to MIA and her wanting to come back to NWSL but not under the racist (hearsay also) and abusive twat.

Are we sure Mia going to Mexico was simply just about getting paid more?

not trying to defend Cromwell here , but these articles really tell us nothing .

have no idea if this is just NWSL being extra cautious given all the turmoil they are going through or if this is really serious

NWSl certainly dealing with a lot of turmoil lately

Are we sure Mia going to Mexico was simply just about getting paid more?

not trying to defend Cromwell here , but these articles really tell us nothing .

have no idea if this is just NWSL being extra cautious given all the turmoil they are going through or if this is really serious

NWSl certainly dealing with a lot of turmoil lately

meant to say , it sounds like Liga MX was offering Mia much more cash

Care to share more details about Bindon at LMU?

So I did a simple search for JB's name on Twitter and found this interesting exchange from late 2021. It appears to be a former LMU player and father (of a different player) commenting on an LinkedIn blog post in which a photo of JB and LMU feature at the top.

"Cancel Culture" seems to be a cop-out. 4 wins in 2 seasons when your school is smack dab in the middle of the biggest collection of women's soccer talent in the country points to something other than KIDS OF TODAY not wanting to be coached hard.

So I did a simple search for JB's name on Twitter and found this interesting exchange from late 2021. It appears to be a former LMU player and father (of a different player) commenting on an LinkedIn blog post in which a photo of JB and LMU feature at the top.

Thanks for posting this. I had not seen this. "My desire to defend good coaches and educators who are being taken down by cancel culture has only intensified as more recently, another Fearless coach who is a former dual-sport NCAA athlete, Olympian, and thanks to a lack of her administration's spine and gender bias, is now an ex D-I NCAA head coach." The fact this twerp blames the administration and gender bias is so whack.

Well surprise surprise, that don't take long.

When a person had ethics they take responsibility for actions and make corrections, changes, and apologies for not doing better instead of trying to sweep things under the rugs and deny all capabilities.

If the pride didn't did do diligence and independently investigation thier potential employeees well that's on them but at least they have recognized that transgressions and see them as they are now with highly questionable ethics going back many years and continuing on with that MO.

In the end you can take responsibility or not but when you're the head coach everything is fare game and leopard's never changes spots.

The daughter of my friend played at UCLA under Amanda. She left UCLA along with others due to the emotional drain from this coach. This was a kid that played at the USYNT level as a starter and couldnt get any minutes with Amanda. The level of stress was so intense that she had to seek mental health. At first I thought it was just the competition level at UCLA but with this news coming from Pride, I have to think there's some accountability needed on the coach.

So whatever happened with the suspension and investigation? Crickets in the media

Trevor Bauer treatment and syndrome, bury and stonewall for a while while the investigation drags on.

Some time next you will hear she's working at some small college you never heard of and there will be no public disclosure of what was found out by the league or the team.

The daughter of my friend played at UCLA under Amanda. She left UCLA along with others due to the emotional drain from this coach. This was a kid that played at the USYNT level as a starter and couldnt get any minutes with Amanda. The level of stress was so intense that she had to seek mental health. At first I thought it was just the competition level at UCLA but with this news coming from Pride, I have to think there's some accountability needed on the coach.

What kind of entitlement world do we live in where people blame coaches not giving playing time for their mental health problems? The reality is most of the privileged girls who grew up playing elite soccer have never faced any real adversity in their lives until they go to college. They never had to worry about playing time. They almost always come from families of means. They were often showered with accolades, including HS All-American, YNT, all-region or conference, were probably on the local news and in the local paper more than once, and were usually among the more popular girls in HS. Then they head off to one of the elite programs in the country, which is also an elite academic institution, where they are no longer under the constant protection of their parents and the friends with whom they grew up. Their parents probably reinforced how they were perfect and the best for 18 straight years, and then sent them off to reality with probably zero experience coping with actual adversity. Now they're surrounded with teammates who are among the best players in the country while simultaneously having to deal with rigors of being a young adult and making all new friends all simultaneously. Many of their teammates have been training and lifting 6 days a week for years and already have their established friend groups. They find out in an instant that they aren't all that special compared to the elite of the elite who now surround them. It turns out they aren't as good at soccer as they thought, they aren't as gifted academically as they thought, the friend groups don't come as easily as they did growing up, and mommy and daddy aren't there to save them every day anymore. It turns out that success now requires hard work far beyond what they're accustomed to, and it also turns out that sometimes there is no amount of hard work that will make someone better than the players in front of them.

Making the adjustment from little princess to adult is often a tough one. Blaming a coach for causing too much stress by not giving her playing time is an absolute cop out, and makes a caricature of mental health problems. It is complete bs to discard or ignore the actual and important reasons why someone is seeking mental health assistance, and instead blame a coach for not giving the player playing time. Honestly, a lack of playing time is never the reason someone "needs" to seek mental health assistance. If a parent is blaming a lack of playing time for their kid's emotional distress, it's probably time to take a step back and consider the impact that their own disappointment in their daughter's lack of playing time is having on her emotional state.

Back