'22-'23 SoCal and National Forecast and Updates

Is there anywhere GA is interesting to anyone other than GA families?

Dash is a favorite to win the U14 GA title this year, but probably wouldnt even be a Champions League team in the Texas ECNL conference (top 3). In other words, they are the probably 4th best team in their own state (behind Solar, DKSC, and maybe FC Dallas), but arguably the best GA team in the country.

Meh, there are a few good GA teams. I'd probably put Dash in front FC Dallas though. IMO, Colorado Rush is right up there with Solar and PDA but I think they lost players after winning Nationals.

Nationals in Michigan is also very good and up there with the best. I hope the 2008 Nationals play Solar 2008s again at some point. The '07 year is one that does not have a top GA team on the same level as ECNL teams. '06 and earlier are still making it off of the DA days, hence Bayside GA in NorCal having probably the top recruited team in the US for the class of '22.

SoCal is just a different animal, kinda. There is one decent GA club, SDSC Surf. Similar to the rest of the country, maybe 10 GA clubs or so that can produce teams that could do well in the ECNL across age groups. Let's name them and see how many I can come up with in no specific order.

1. Nationals
2. Tophat
3. FC Virginia
4. Cincinnati CUP
5. NEFC
6. IMG Academy
7. Houston Dash
8. Colorado Rush
9. Lonestar
10. Lamorinda
11. Florida United

That's about it. That's all I got. That's not very many when I think there are 96 GA Clubs I think. It's hands down a 2nd tier, borderline 3rd tier if you are outside these 11 Clubs. I'm sure there are some outlier age groups but that isn't anything really to write home about. I will say I have noticed some GA teams exceed expectations in early season tournaments but who knows if that will hold. Anyways.

Reactions: LVB
Meh, there are a few good GA teams. I'd probably put Dash in front FC Dallas though. IMO, Colorado Rush is right up there with Solar and PDA but I think they lost players after winning Nationals.

Nationals in Michigan is also very good and up there with the best. I hope the 2008 Nationals play Solar 2008s again at some point. The '07 year is one that does not have a top GA team on the same level as ECNL teams. '06 and earlier are still making it off of the DA days, hence Bayside GA in NorCal having probably the top recruited team in the US for the class of '22.

SoCal is just a different animal, kinda. There is one decent GA club, SDSC Surf. Similar to the rest of the country, maybe 10 GA clubs or so that can produce teams that could do well in the ECNL across age groups. Let's name them and see how many I can come up with in no specific order.

1. Nationals
2. Tophat
3. FC Virginia
4. Cincinnati CUP
5. NEFC
6. IMG Academy
7. Houston Dash
8. Colorado Rush
9. Lonestar
10. Lamorinda
11. Florida United

That's about it. That's all I got. That's not very many when I think there are 96 GA Clubs I think. It's hands down a 2nd tier, borderline 3rd tier if you are outside these 11 Clubs. I'm sure there are some outlier age groups but that isn't anything really to write home about. I will say I have noticed some GA teams exceed expectations in early season tournaments but who knows if that will hold. Anyways.

I cant speak to the majority of teams on that list, but you can remove both Dash and Lonestar. Zero chance either one would "have success in the ECNL across age groups."
They would both be bottom-third-of-Texas-conference with likely zero champions league qualifiers in any age group.

It is unfortunate and infuriating, as two years ago both clubs were very competitive and were respectably middle-of-the-pack DA clubs (and the two top clubs in south Texas). Unfortunately, the politics of excluding them from ECNL by powerful rivals has wreaked havoc via large swaths of their talent pool defecting to rival ECNL clubs.

I cant speak to the majority of teams on that list, but you can remove both Dash and Lonestar. Zero chance either one would "have success in the ECNL across age groups."
They would both be bottom-third-of-Texas-conference with likely zero champions league qualifiers in any age group.

It is unfortunate and infuriating, as two years ago both clubs were very competitive and were respectably middle-of-the-pack DA clubs (and the two top clubs in south Texas). Unfortunately, the politics of excluding them from ECNL by powerful rivals has wreaked havoc via large swaths of their talent pool defecting to rival ECNL clubs.
I have a south TX question...with the size of Houston I would expect that there are a lot of good players in that area and less dilution with only two ECNL clubs. Is there a reason why we don't see more south TX teams at top of standings?

I have a south TX question...with the size of Houston I would expect that there are a lot of good players in that area and less dilution with only two ECNL clubs. Is there a reason why we don't see more south TX teams at top of standings?

Lots of reasons, but the main one is that soccer isn't very popular among girls in Houston. It is a softball (or dance) town.

Despite roughly similar overall populations, Dallas has 3X the number of youth soccer players.

So Lonestar just beat Sting Royal in August and only lost by 1 goal to DKSC that same weekend. They also beat Challenge and Albion last June. Kinda defeats your statement, at least for the 2009s, and if Dash is supposedly better, even more so. Dash only lost to Solar 2-0 last January, a much better result than say, FC Dallas.

I think you might have some kind of bias, but maybe not. Anyway, hopefully you are not HB's dad. I'm sure you are aware of the player. We find her IG account obnoxious and many players actually poke fun. Let me know your thoughts.

EDIT - Looking at the other years, both Lonestar and Dash would have a chance to make Champions League, but more likely would be middle of the pack with couple outliers for both making Champions League or being bottom third. The 2008 year is especially bad for these two Clubs. In the end though it seems Dash does a better job than any ECNL/GA Club in STX getting college opportunities.

Last edited:
So Lonestar just beat Sting Royal in August and only lost by 1 goal to DKSC that same weekend. They also beat Challenge and Albion last June. Kinda defeats your statement, at least for the 2009s, and if Dash is supposedly better, even more so. Dash only lost to Solar 2-0 last January, a much better result than say, FC Dallas.

I think you might have some kind of bias, but maybe not. Anyway, hopefully you are not HB's dad. I'm sure you are aware of the player. We find her IG account obnoxious and many players actually poke fun. Let me know your thoughts.

EDIT - Looking at the other years, both Lonestar and Dash would have a chance to make Champions League, but more likely would be middle of the pack with couple outliers for both making Champions League or being bottom third. The 2008 year is especially bad for these two Clubs. In the end though it seems Dash does a better job than any ECNL/GA Club in STX getting college opportunities.

Meh. In NFL terms, when Lonestar or Dash play a Dallas team like FCD or Solar, it's their Super Bowl. When Dallas teams play Dash or Lonestar, they treat it as a pre-season scrimmage. I wouldn't put too much into the results of scrimmages.

But, I mean you make the case yourself, though. Even if we pretend the Dallas teams treated the games as important, losing to DKSC and Solar by only a goal or three is pretty much the point. Beating 11th place Sting Royal by a single goal isn't an accomplishment. Those are all signs of a middle-of-the-table team.

The 09 GA teams are good, and natty hopefuls in GA, but wouldnt be ECNL Champions League qualifiers, at least not in Texas. And those are the crown jewel teams for the clubs. All of Dash and Lonestar's older teams routinely get beat by 5+ goals by top Dallas teams in the silly scrimmages.

Well, I’m not going to act like I know for sure. Having been on both sides now, I understand why parents get upset when another just writes off an entire league. Like it or not, top GA teams will always be able to hang with top ECNL teams. The problem lies in the rest of the GA league. ECNL competition as a whole is miles beyond GA bit. We moved our DD to the GA because it was what was best for her. Last year, She led her ECNL team in goals and assists. The team was one point away from Nationals. Could care less about a badge. I care how the club will continue to develop her and advocate for her and not a badge on her sleeve, how many goals or assists she has. We would not have moved if we did.

Sorry so triggered but it just implies that someone thinks a kid isn’t worthy enough.

Sorry so triggered but it just implies that someone thinks a kid isn’t worthy enough.

Apologies. That was not my intention. And, I should note, both Dash and Lonestar have outstanding players in ALL age groups. There are a lot of kids there who would be impact players on just about any team in the country.

While fewer now than there were 3 years ago, there are undoubtedly still very competitive teams in a few age groups and excellent players in every age group.

So our first ecnl experience was this weekend in SD at the showcase. Our conference games do not start until Dec due to HS being played right now. It was more then we could imagined and solidified for me that ECNL is the top of the top platform without any question for girls which already knew but wow, walking through the complex and browsing through the schedule to see who was playing and who to go watch was a difficult decision. Lol Every game was worth watching.

Also was really impressed with the planning and structure the club did for this as I’m sure it common but thought it amstartes mostly at U-15. A year early but we all liked it. Girls room together, eat together, and have scheduled breaks together. It was a full itinerary planned with events like a SD women's college game, beach get together, and scouting conference opponents etc, similar to what we are used to other than girls in own rooms and strict itinerary was the difference. Grooming them for travel without parents and how it’s going to be moving forward as they get older. We weren’t planning on going ecnl for another year or two but we just recently relocated and the Ecnl club where we moved to was the obvious choice. Glad that was the case because I feel like we would have fallen behind if we waited a year or two in regards to our DD situation.
I guess this is more of a my first ecnl experience post so sorry for that!
As far as teams go I got to catch a little bit of the Solar vs Santa Rosa I believe. Biggest gathering I seen of people watching an 09 game and I believe there was like 3 scouts at least that I seen. It’s was 2-0 in the 2nd half and Santa Rosa was playing great and broke one off and just missed the finish. After that Solars attack was fierce and they converted a third goal and I believe the final was 3-0.
I also started watching the Seattle United vs Koge game in the 2nd half when it was tied 0-0. SU connected and scored a really nice goal to go up 1-0. They looked real good as Koge didn’t look as well as their previous results and rankings. Granted they are very very goodI was just expecting something along the lines of Solar or SD surf but I just didn’t see it. Could have been an off day, injuries or whatever but that was my take from my brief observation.
I noticed Crossfire tied Solar 0-0. I would assume that’s a huge positive for them although they are quality and won the Northwest Conference last season, still though!

Here’s my current West/Texas region top ecnl teams.

Solar
SD Surf
Blues
DKSC
Crossfire (would not of been on my list last season)
Seattle United (would not of been on my list last season)
MVLA (would not of been on my list last season)
Slammers Koge
Legends
AZ Arsenal (would not of been on my list last season)

Outside looking in:
Eagles
FC Dallas
DM Sharks
Texans
San Juan

So our first ecnl experience was this weekend in SD at the showcase. Our conference games do not start until Dec due to HS being played right now. It was more then we could imagined and solidified for me that ECNL is the top of the top platform without any question for girls which already knew but wow, walking through the complex and browsing through the schedule to see who was playing and who to go watch was a difficult decision. Lol Every game was worth watching.

Also was really impressed with the planning and structure the club did for this as I’m sure it common but thought it amstartes mostly at U-15. A year early but we all liked it. Girls room together, eat together, and have scheduled breaks together. It was a full itinerary planned with events like a SD women's college game, beach get together, and scouting conference opponents etc, similar to what we are used to other than girls in own rooms and strict itinerary was the difference. Grooming them for travel without parents and how it’s going to be moving forward as they get older. We weren’t planning on going ecnl for another year or two but we just recently relocated and the Ecnl club where we moved to was the obvious choice. Glad that was the case because I feel like we would have fallen behind if we waited a year or two in regards to our DD situation.
I guess this is more of a my first ecnl experience post so sorry for that!
As far as teams go I got to catch a little bit of the Solar vs Santa Rosa I believe. Biggest gathering I seen of people watching an 09 game and I believe there was like 3 scouts at least that I seen. It’s was 2-0 in the 2nd half and Santa Rosa was playing great and broke one off and just missed the finish. After that Solars attack was fierce and they converted a third goal and I believe the final was 3-0.
I also started watching the Seattle United vs Koge game in the 2nd half when it was tied 0-0. SU connected and scored a really nice goal to go up 1-0. They looked real good as Koge didn’t look as well as their previous results and rankings. Granted they are very very goodI was just expecting something along the lines of Solar or SD surf but I just didn’t see it. Could have been an off day, injuries or whatever but that was my take from my brief observation.
I noticed Crossfire tied Solar 0-0. I would assume that’s a huge positive for them although they are quality and won the Northwest Conference last season, still though!

Here’s my current West/Texas region top ecnl teams.

Solar
SD Surf
Blues
DKSC
Crossfire (would not of been on my list last season)
Seattle United (would not of been on my list last season)
MVLA (would not of been on my list last season)
Slammers Koge
Legends
AZ Arsenal (would not of been on my list last season)

Outside looking in:
Eagles
FC Dallas
DM Sharks
Texans
San Juan

I watched Seattle v Koge - parent told me they went into that weekend out 4 players including their goalie due to injuries and had no subs vs Seattle. Seemed pretty driven for a win and fit for playing 3 days-of that. Seattle was tough for sure ! Good fun game all around.

I watched Seattle v Koge - parent told me they went into that weekend out 4 players including their goalie due to injuries and had no subs vs Seattle. Seemed pretty driven for a win and fit for playing 3 days-of that. Seattle was tough for sure ! Good fun game all around.
Makes sense. I figured they may have some injuries or something like that!

So, seeing the whole ID Center invite thing now with many kids I am familiar with. We knew that moving clubs this year would all but eliminate my DD from the equation, especially since the club is known for being loyal to existing players. No complaints here about the nominees from FCV.

But, what I am shocked about is many of the other selections. I am seeing so many quality players being passed up for much lesser players and I just can't wrap my head around it. Whether it's club politics, parent favoritism, woke favoritism, Instagram accounts, I just don't get it. What are these coaches and clubs being told on who to nominate? There is one girl who was nominated in our area who plays forward for a local team with ZERO wins and only one team goal through 10 games this year. They have a defender that is 30x better that was not chosen. Another local club chooses a CM that happens to about 6' tall and slower than molasses. My mother could run circles around with her walker. Probably one of the weakest players among the starters. But, you know...I could go on and on and on just on one year, yet alone the others.

Speaking of, what else I found shocking is how many girls are ID'ed from Portland Thorns every year, and sorry, that club does not have very many good teams but they get to nominate roughly 7 players every year??? I can understand Solar, PDA and a few SoCal clubs but Thorns???

Anyway, hope the process is better out there and if not, than expect more poor results from USYNT's moving forward. These are not the best players they forming the pool of. Seems to me they are chosen for various different reason from size/speed/ethnicity/skin color and lesser premium on skill, work rate, and most importantly, soccer IQ.

/rant

So, seeing the whole ID Center invite thing now with many kids I am familiar with. We knew that moving clubs this year would all but eliminate my DD from the equation, especially since the club is known for being loyal to existing players. No complaints here about the nominees from FCV.

But, what I am shocked about is many of the other selections. I am seeing so many quality players being passed up for much lesser players and I just can't wrap my head around it. Whether it's club politics, parent favoritism, woke favoritism, Instagram accounts, I just don't get it. What are these coaches and clubs being told on who to nominate? There is one girl who was nominated in our area who plays forward for a local team with ZERO wins and only one team goal through 10 games this year. They have a defender that is 30x better that was not chosen. Another local club chooses a CM that happens to about 6' tall and slower than molasses. My mother could run circles around with her walker. Probably one of the weakest players among the starters. But, you know...I could go on and on and on just on one year, yet alone the others.

Speaking of, what else I found shocking is how many girls are ID'ed from Portland Thorns every year, and sorry, that club does not have very many good teams but they get to nominate roughly 7 players every year??? I can understand Solar, PDA and a few SoCal clubs but Thorns???

Anyway, hope the process is better out there and if not, than expect more poor results from USYNT's moving forward. These are not the best players they forming the pool of. Seems to me they are chosen for various different reason from size/speed/ethnicity/skin color and lesser premium on skill, work rate, and most importantly, soccer IQ.

/rant
Well Mars, welcome to the selection process bro. You sound like sour grapes...lol! You shouldn't have been a club hopper. Trust me, you piss off the wrong Doc(s) for greener pastures, you kid will be left all alone. It's a blessing, trust me. It took 4 years for me but I see why how my kid was protected by some crazies' in the sport. Not all of coaches, just some of the ones with all the power & control. Good luck to your player :)

/rant
People have to understand that judging soccer ability is very subjective and can vary drastically between coaches/scouts. Soccer is maybe the one sport that is least reliant on statistics...not like golf or bowling where ability is measured by score. And soccer is not like football or basketball where physical traits are critical (i.e. 40 yard dash time, height). Should also add that while we have been watching an age group for years and are familiar with players the scouts are looking at these players for the first time.

For an initial national assessment of an age group thousands of players will be looked at through games or video. One kid may have that great moment in front of a scout that is not typical for them. Or a great player may have a down game. Selection to a pool does not equate to that player being a great player...and being passed over does not mean a player is not really really good.

rainbow_unicorn's response nailed it down pretty well. In the first year they want to look at 1000+ kids. And, scouts are always looking for what they may have missed so volume of kids, volume of games is important to them.

Some context that may be subtle we don't see as observers or coaches.

Some locations may not have the saturation of really top quality players, but the scouts still need bring in the top ~35 kids into an ID session. You could have a scenario where the bottom 1/3 of SoCal players at the ID event could be better top 1/3 of the Portland players. These locations still need to run ID sessions regardless.
Some teams may not have good records, but they may have a player that just needs a better talent base around them in order to play their game.
A really good striker with weak mids may not shine during a club game but really shine during a ODP/PDP or ID event. Keepers are another funny bc being on the best team doesn't mean they are really be tested, epecially if they have an A+ defensive line.

Stats like goals and assists don't tell a lot. I officiated a PDP-ID2 game that had a current U17 YNT player who didn't get the ball very much and didn't score in the scrimmage. But her off the ball movement, speed of transition, and just presence was clearly different that everyone elses. She stood out without contributing to the stats. Scouts are looking for some inate qualities that don't always show up in wins/loss records.

Some kids will be seen at the upcoming '09 PDP-ID2 sessions this fall and winter by the scouts. I believe there are 12 or 13 PDP-ID2 sessions coming up so that's another 350-400 kids.
There are also '09 kids that have already been seen at the earlier PDP-ID2 events. There are two '09s in Ca. that were already at the '07 PDP-ID2 event and they did not attend their respective 09 talent ID sessions this past month. I'm sure there are other 09s that had early invites to ID2 as well. US Talent ID usually tries to run their sessions age pure.

At this age they will have plenty of eyes on them for the next 2 years.. they are still young so lots of growth will happen.

Consistency is important too... one or two good showing in front of the scouts doesn't translate to an invitation.
I've told my kids who have been in both the US and Netherlands programs that being consistently good or consistently average will help them make a decision.

Happy New Year everyone! Been awfully quiet around here! DD’s team had a decent fall and have been moving up quickly.

Best team we played was Colorado Rush and was really impressed. Would put them right up there with PDA and SUSA. I still have not seen Solar or any of the SoCal ECNL teams play so can’t really compare.

If anyone has been following the new Soccer Rankings App, it’s pretty good with some exceptions. I think lopsided wins affect the rankings too much and that really helps the USYS teams.

Like I said, been following the new system. On a positive note, DD’s GA team was #279 when the app came out. By the end of fall, they are already #108 so they are going the right direction and I think have a lot of good things coming. DD may miss a couple of games as she is having surgery at the end of the week (not injury related).

Anyways, here we go. Still picking Colorado Rush for GA Championship but I think I have to go back to Solar repeating for ECNL.

My Top 25
1. Solar ECNL
2. PDA
3. Colorado Rush GA
4. SD Surf ECNL
5. Blues ECNL
6. SUSA ECNL
7. DKSC ECNL
8. Legends ECNL
9. Houston Dash GA
10. MVLA ECNL
11. Nationals GA
12. Lonestar GA
13. HB Koge ECNL
14. Eclipse ECNL
15. SLSG ECNL
16. Sacramento GA
17. South Shore GA
18. Virginia Development Academy ECNL
19. Loudoun ECNL
20. Richmond ECNL
21. Las Vegas Surf E64
22. United Football Academy ECNL
23. Michigan Hawks ECNL
24. NEFC GA
25. Minnesota Thunder

I don’t think anyone will disagree too much on 1 thru 5. If any of those teams played each other, it would be tough game.

You will notice how I have VDA at 18 but that is because this is fast rising team and they are complete. I took the Mid Atlantic for granted last year and they proved me wrong qualifying the most 2009 ECNL teams last year. For the same reasons, that is why I have UFA so much lower. Southeast ECNL is certainly on the weak side. Matchfit is now a thing of the past and really are more like a top 50 team or worse so PDA Blue is the only contender fr

LV Surf is low because of the lopsided wins and no tough games. The only tough game was one tie and a 3-0 win over #170 Albion LV GA. Same goes for KC Legends. Toughest game was against Evolution and was a 0-0 tie. (DD has played against Evolution and won 3-0 so I have seen them play)

Ok, so let’s also keep in mind this is the year of trapped players. These players can certainly help clubs that take advantage. Many have already done so and many more will this Spring and I have no idea which is which except for some Northeast and Mid Atlantic states.

Spring teams to watch
1. LV Surf (Hopefully they get some tourneys)
2. MVLA (Much Improved)
3. VDA (Much improved)
4. Crossfire ECNL
5. Eagles ECNL

Happy New Year everyone! Been awfully quiet around here! DD’s team had a decent fall and have been moving up quickly.

Best team we played was Colorado Rush and was really impressed. Would put them right up there with PDA and SUSA. I still have not seen Solar or any of the SoCal ECNL teams play so can’t really compare.

If anyone has been following the new Soccer Rankings App, it’s pretty good with some exceptions. I think lopsided wins affect the rankings too much and that really helps the USYS teams.

Like I said, been following the new system. On a positive note, DD’s GA team was #279 when the app came out. By the end of fall, they are already #108 so they are going the right direction and I think have a lot of good things coming. DD may miss a couple of games as she is having surgery at the end of the week (not injury related).

Anyways, here we go. Still picking Colorado Rush for GA Championship but I think I have to go back to Solar repeating for ECNL.

My Top 25
1. Solar ECNL
2. PDA
3. Colorado Rush GA
4. SD Surf ECNL
5. Blues ECNL
6. SUSA ECNL
7. DKSC ECNL
8. Legends ECNL
9. Houston Dash GA
10. MVLA ECNL
11. Nationals GA
12. Lonestar GA
13. HB Koge ECNL
14. Eclipse ECNL
15. SLSG ECNL
16. Sacramento GA
17. South Shore GA
18. Virginia Development Academy ECNL
19. Loudoun ECNL
20. Richmond ECNL
21. Las Vegas Surf E64
22. United Football Academy ECNL
23. Michigan Hawks ECNL
24. NEFC GA
25. Minnesota Thunder

I don’t think anyone will disagree too much on 1 thru 5. If any of those teams played each other, it would be tough game.

You will notice how I have VDA at 18 but that is because this is fast rising team and they are complete. I took the Mid Atlantic for granted last year and they proved me wrong qualifying the most 2009 ECNL teams last year. For the same reasons, that is why I have UFA so much lower. Southeast ECNL is certainly on the weak side. Matchfit is now a thing of the past and really are more like a top 50 team or worse so PDA Blue is the only contender fr

LV Surf is low because of the lopsided wins and no tough games. The only tough game was one tie and a 3-0 win over #170 Albion LV GA. Same goes for KC Legends. Toughest game was against Evolution and was a 0-0 tie. (DD has played against Evolution and won 3-0 so I have seen them play)

Ok, so let’s also keep in mind this is the year of trapped players. These players can certainly help clubs that take advantage. Many have already done so and many more will this Spring and I have no idea which is which except for some Northeast and Mid Atlantic states.

Spring teams to watch
1. LV Surf (Hopefully they get some tourneys)
2. MVLA (Much Improved)
3. VDA (Much improved)
4. Crossfire ECNL
5. Eagles ECNL
You know I would chirp in here! Lol LV Surf way too low! I see why you bumped them down based on recent low level competition and even agree maybe it should be bumped due to that but outside the top 20 is comical! Vegas Cup coming up next week and Legends ecnl is in thier bracket. Should give a good idea of where they are at.
Here’s the real question, what in the actual eff happened to Matchfit???? Lol They went from top 3 to out of the top 25. I remember reading some girls left etc but dang. They fell off!

You know I would chirp in here! Lol LV Surf way too low! I see why you bumped them down based on recent low level competition and even agree maybe it should be bumped due to that but outside the top 20 is comical! Vegas Cup coming up next week and Legends ecnl is in thier bracket. Should give a good idea of where they are at.
Here’s the real question, what in the actual eff happened to Matchfit???? Lol They went from top 3 to out of the top 25. I remember reading some girls left etc but dang. They fell off!

Yes, as I was writing, you crossed my mind, lol. It’s not their fault though. They just haven’t played anyone. All ECNL teams are being challenged week in and week out. It’s like an iron sharpening iron thing. They have not played a top 50 team since May of ‘22 meanwhile have benefited from the algorithm of lopsided wins all Fall. But this is why they are also a team to watch this Spring, hopefully getting a chance to play some better competition.

Back