Your Daughter's Journey

When DD was a freshman, her HS team played against Cathedral and she scored a goal. After the game she said "I scored against Ashley Sanchez!". Ashley is a very good keeper (as is her future teammate Lauren Brzkcy). That goal made it into DD's highlight video. I also look forward to seeing Catarina Macario play in college.
I don't think Ashley ever played HS Soccer or GK. She was to busy with all her YNT call ups.

Oh my gosh... someday I may show this list to my daughter. Never had much success with ODP. She is a late 98 and was as gawky and Bambi-like as you can imagine 5"10 now looked back then. When she made a pool one year, it seemed like every drill she went up against SB from RSC. We laughed about it then and pointed out how strong SB was and that someday when her real legs showed up, she may have a better chance. Looking at this list, makes you realize, the scouts really did get it.

I love your player's story. Your son attended one of my friend's football camps. Strikers FC was good to my player too. Good luck to both of your players that are still in college.

OK...for all intents and purposes my daughters path is just beginning.

at U11 Scottsdale Blackhawks...a half season of rec...and then made the rec all stars team which introduced the kids to club soccer. Played in a low level division vs other clubs in AZ. It was that experience that made her want to play club soccer.

U12 Scottsdale Blackhawks team 3...playing in Port of Subs.
She also played the 2nd half of the year with the u13 team 3.
She played more than a few games with a team in one of the Mexican leagues here in Phx. Playing against boys really helped her.

U13 Scottsdale Blackhawks team 2. Played in the AZ Premier League which is the best league in AZ. The team struggled a bit, but she got to play against the best teams/players in AZ. A lot of parents wanted wins. I wanted her to develop and get experience playing against good teams/players. Wins didn't matter. Nice when they came around but not the main thing. By the end of the year it was clear that the team as a whole had improved greatly.

U14 Sereno ECNL. This is where she is at now.

I think that's who he's talking about for sure!
I was thinking of another Sanchez who was also a fine keeper. She was commited to a D1 program for 2016 but does not appear to be on the roster so lets let this drop. Sorry for the mistake, but back to the real discussion, our DD's journeys. I will post about my DD after she graduates, but she is a teammate with 3TP's daughter (who is an amazing player, after one of her goals from way out the AR turned to me and said "Who's the girl with the cannon?").

I love your player's story. Your son attended one of my friend's football camps. Strikers FC was good to my player too. Good luck to both of your players that are still in college.

Thank you for the kind words! I've been wondering if I figured out which super star from that Strikers team is yours. Was wondering today if my son and your dd share a college?

From a Vegas perspective...

U11: Heat FC 00: A
U12: Heat FC 00: A
U13: Las Vegas Neon 00: A: State Champs
U14: Downtown LVSC 00: A (Guest played with the 99 team)
U15: LVPSA 00 and 99: ECNL
U16: Utah Avalanche (DP) and Players SC 00: ECNL and A: State Champs
U18 (Birth year rule change): LVPSA 99: A: State Champs
U19: Strikers ECNL 00/99: ECNL

We didn't know what a club vs. recreational team was before we went to a Heat camp. Luckily she got picked up there, or we may have never made the switch! My kid has been labeled a club hopper by a crazy parent or two, but they don't know the half of it.
- Left first club after coaching change.
- Left second club when she decided to be a goalkeeper. This one was definitely the most important switch, as she was with her goalkeeper coach, she was on a team that faced 20+ shots a game which gave her repetition, and she got to guest play with that Downtown 99 team we all know of, which gave her true game experience.
- Moved with the Downtown 99 team to LVPSA and played ECNL.
- DP'd with Utah ECNL after LVPSA lost their status.
- Moved back to LVPSA for the coach.
- Now going to Strikers ECNL (after she's healed from her surgery) so she can play some decent competition and prepare for college ball in the spring.

This whole experience has taught us parents that you have to do what's best for your kid, no matter what the outsiders think and say. Also gave my daughter some thick skin. It's been quite a ride, and I'll miss it no doubt. But I'm excited to see what the future holds for my kid.

Enjoy it while it lasts. It goes by in the blink of an eye.
Thanks for sharing the journey! Geography is not my strength, but Utah from LV? Maybe I need to start longest commute thread with a side pot for the winner?

My apologies...wrong thread. I did not notice the age group.
No worries. Thanks for sharing. I started this in oldest age group as there's a lot of wisdom here, but welcome all sharing. I'm finding the contributions already made very helpful. Good luck to your DD.
Question for the forum vets: What happens to the oldest age group forums? Are they archived for future reference/use or just returned to digital dust?

My DD started AYSO at 8y/o and went to a small club at 9y/o. She changed clubs every 1-3 years and played on B teams until she was in HS. She only played HS for 2 years because the college coach that recruited her asked that she skip HS to avoid injuries. She played club CSL Premier and in a competitive adult league her last two years of HS. She has been a college starter these last two years. She plans to red shirt this year due to a very heavy fall class schedule of 20 units. Her current jobs are refereeing and doing private training for a dozen U13-U15 players ($25-$40 per session). She has also had a torn MCL, fractured metatarsal, and a concussion while in college. She is also coaching a GU11 club team and will be an assistant coach for a junior college team. She is the only player off of her U9-U13 teams to play college soccer. She still credits an a-hole coach at U12 for motivating her to work hard and excel. He told her she was too short to play soccer. Three years later she scored three goals in a game off that coach's keeper daughter.

She says she would play again if she had do it all over again. The only things she disliked were the injuries and "refs that are too old to work big kids and are too stupid to realize it."

Thank you for the kind words! I've been wondering if I figured out which super star from that Strikers team is yours. Was wondering today if my son and your dd share a college?

Unfortunately mine isn't that amazing young lady although they were a pair for a long time and spent 6 good years together. She decided to go a different direction with her college of choice. Strikers FC was good to her.

Ok, here is my best attempt:

U8-U9 (several years at u8) - Hawks - Presidio Champs and generally super awesome little team
U10-U13 - So Cal Blues - State Cup Champs one of those years
U14-U15 Strikers ECNL
U16 Slammers ECNL
U17- U18/19 Strikers ECNL

So, my kid has a reverse success story as a teammate. Her teams at u8-u13 didn't lose games or tournaments very often. She had 58 medals in her room when we packed her up and only one of those won as a teenager - Surf Cup at U17 (lower bracket). Her first few years at Strikers were middle of the pack. Last few, were bottom of the pack.

We left Blues when Strikers ECNL started at our local high school because she could walk to practice and at the time she had a sibling who was ill. Do not regret the decision, even though Blues was a stronger program. She followed the Camargos to Slammers and it was fine. Not a style of play that complimented her skill set, so she left a winning team to return to a non-winning team.

What is not in this equation is Futsal. Played every year from u8 through u16. Team won the National title twice, took 2nd another.

She is a freshman just in summer program/conditioning now at a Big10 school. She was recruited by a few Pac12 schools, one ACC and one SEC. It really came down to a decision between one Pac12 school where she really liked the coach, the program, etc. and her current school. She chose the current school because of its programs/prestige in her future field, its other athletics (football was a MUST) program and the community around the school. She chose the current soccer program because of the play style, the coaches and the future teammates. She did turn down much better money offers.

Some tidbits that may help:
Her u8-u9 team contained a group of girls that are still very strong players and at least 7 of them are playing D1 now, or will be in the Fall. Understand that these girls were 5 & 6 when they started.

The Blues team that won State Cup that year has all but maybe 4 playing D1 this year and the ones that aren't went on to either play other sports, or chose D3 for academic reasons.

The team that consisted of the first year for Strikers ECNL had many players rotate in/out over the years, but if you look at the group from the first year at u14, the ones that wanted to play in college, are. Several turned down opportunities to focus on academics (as in sitting on a full academic scholarship at schools like UCI, USC, etc.).

As of today, 1 at UCSB, 1 at Arkansas, 1 went to UCDavis and was injured - not playing, 1 at Colorado, 1 at Gardner-Webb, 1 at CSUF, 1 at WSU and mine.

Take what you want from the tidbits, but generally, some players are good from Day 1. Some need to move around to get more potential unlocked but at the end of it, if they work hard and listen and learn from all coaches (even the horrible ones can teach you things - like what kind of coach you never want to play for ever again - they can do well.

I remember reading about who I think your DD is!! Very accomplished, congrats to you and your daughter!!

Thanks for sharing your journey!
Very curious about your thoughts on Futsal. We are looking to add more of it into our DDs training. Is it more than just a lot of touches per hour? Any drawbacks?

Futsal is super important. Imaging Blues players trying to play Futsal LOLOL

Thanks for sharing your journey!
Very curious about your thoughts on Futsal. We are looking to add more of it into our DDs training. Is it more than just a lot of touches per hour? Any drawbacks?

I cannot think of any drawback. Schedule was our biggest issue. Especially trying to fit in competitions. Futsal is easier to find now. Even if it's training at Toca type facilities. Touch training to me is one of the most important skills. You do not see many girls playing at high levels who cannot control with touch.

Back