Worst Most Expensive Clubs

SuperNatural

SILVER ELITE
Socal's Privileged.

Name your top 5 most worthless expensive clubs.

1. Surf
2.Arsenal
3.Pateadores
4.Legends
5.West Coast FC

Worthless?? That's a strong word given that these clubs have so many teams and several of them are doing really well.

Better question is what's the most expensive club. I've heard $2,300 for older groups at Albion or rangers.

I think the better question would be which club has the worst money to value ratio.

And even then, at these big clubs if you're a starter on an elite team, you're probably getting a good value for whatever you're spending. It only starts becoming a possible issue if you're a bench warmer on these elite teams.

However it is indeed a huge issue if you're on a "B", "C", or "D" team at these big clubs while paying $2,500 - 3,000+ just to be on a branded bronze/silver team. Most of the complaints from this forum come from parents in the latter situation. Parents buy into or get conned into the hype in Jan. - March that these lower teams will be a spring board into an elite team and they'll get superior coaching compared to a local club. After a year most parents realize the former is an outright lie and the vast majority of the elite teams at these big clubs never give their B teams a second glance for opportunities and advancement. The latter is a crapshoot. Sometimes the bigger clubs can offer more experienced coaches compared to your local offering depending on how good or bad your local teams are. But even then the coaches at the bigger clubs are often over-burdened with 2-3 other teams or they give the lower teams the least experienced coaches.

We're seeing a high turnover everywhere because the lower team parents/families are disgruntled so they jump ship (ironically to another big club's "B", "C", "D" team). And then the elite teams have a high-turnover because the big clubs just keep poaching players from each other's elite teams like a big merry-go-round. None of them promote from within unless they have a roster shortage. The only teams that don't have a high turnover are the league winners and state/national cup finalist.

As for improving the money/value ratio, the big clubs could make a huge improvement in parent satisfaction if they just lowered the price for lower teams and be upfront about the teams capabilities/level of play and set realistic expectations. From a business perspective, instead of using high-pressure sales techniques, aim for long-term customer satisfaction. I wish I had real statistics to back it up, but it definitely feels like there is a much higher turnover the last 3-4 years compared to 6-7 years ago. I thought the whole "B", "C", "D" team scheme would have collapsed by now but it looks like the shell game continues with DAII/DPL, ECNL, Boys ECNL, ENPL, EGSL, and etc.

The only way to unwind this madness would be if CalSouth and/or US Soccer mandated all clubs to only have two teams per age group. An "A" and a "B" for all leagues combined. No spreading 5-6 teams across 2-3 different leagues. You get two teams and that's it. Of course this would never happen because that's why SCDSL came into existence, so big clubs could expand and spread like the ebola virus. But going back to a 2 team limit would breath life back into local clubs and avoid silver/bronze level players getting completely burnt out and broke playing at overpriced "C", "D" teams at the big clubs. It would also force the big clubs to bring some quality back to their "B" teams, which typically have some good players with a lot of potential albeit still raw or undersized. These type of players used to have a path forward and played in leagues with solid competition, but now they get lumped in with the kiddie table with the other "C", "D", and "Z" teams or play in watered down faux elite leagues that not even their own DOC pays attention to after registration fees are secured.

Last edited:
I think the better question would be which club has the worst money to value ratio.
[...]
However it is indeed a huge issue if you're on a "B", "C", or "D" team at these big clubs while paying $2,500 - 3,000+ just to be on a branded bronze/silver team. Most of the complaints from this forum come from parents in the latter situation. Parents buy into or get conned into the hype in Jan. - March that these lower teams will be a spring board into an elite team and they'll get superior coaching compared to a local club. After a year most parents realize the former is an outright lie and the vast majority of the elite teams at these big clubs never give their B teams a second glance for opportunities and advancement. The latter is a crapshoot. Sometimes the bigger clubs can offer more experienced coaches compared to your local offering depending on how good or bad your local teams are. But even then the coaches at the bigger clubs are often over-burdened with 2-3 other teams or they give the lower teams the least experienced coaches.
While its true that parents get sold to pay the big bucks at these "elite" clubs with a promise of development and advancement, I think its equally true that many parents play a game of status with their friends and neighbors. They don't wouldn't be caught dead at the valet with a "local club" sticker, and are happy to pay thousands more to have the "elite"club logo on the back window of their Range Rover. I know plenty of kids at elite clubs playing on teams with AA-B/C talent, getting crushed in their games, and playing against AYSO teams in the State Cup rec division, for this very reason. But their parents can tell their friends at the cocktail hour that Johnny plays for "Elite Club," and they did great at State Cup, not mentioning they played in rec division.

And even then, at these big clubs if you're a starter on an elite team, you're probably getting a good value for whatever you're spending. It only starts becoming a possible issue if you're a bench warmer on these elite teams.

We're seeing a high turnover everywhere because the lower team parents/families are disgruntled so they jump ship (ironically to another big club's "B", "C", "D" team). And then the elite teams have a high-turnover because the big clubs just keep poaching players from each other's elite teams like a big merry-go-round. None of them promote from within unless they have a roster shortage. The only teams that don't have a high turnover are the league winners and state/national cup finalist.

As for improving the money/value ratio, the big clubs could make a huge improvement in parent satisfaction if they just lowered the price for lower teams and be upfront about the teams capabilities/level of play and set realistic expectations. From a business perspective, instead of using high-pressure sales techniques, aim for long-term customer satisfaction. I wish I had real statistics to back it up, but it definitely feels like there is a much higher turnover the last 3-4 years compared to 6-7 years ago. I thought the whole "B", "C", "D" team scheme would have collapsed by now but it looks like the shell game continues with DAII/DPL, ECNL, Boys ECNL, ENPL, EGSL, and etc.

The only way to unwind this madness would be if CalSouth and/or US Soccer mandated all clubs to only have two teams per age group. An "A" and a "B" for all leagues combined. No spreading 5-6 teams across 2-3 different leagues. You get two teams and that's it. Of course this would never happen because that's why SCDSL came into existence, so big clubs could expand and spread like the ebola virus. But going back to a 2 team limit would breath life back into local clubs and avoid silver/bronze level players getting completely burnt out and broke playing at overpriced "C", "D" teams at the big clubs. It would also force the big clubs to bring some quality back to their "B" teams, which typically have some good players with a lot of potential albeit still raw or undersized. These type of players used to have a path forward and played in leagues with solid competition, but now they get lumped in with the kiddie table with the other "C", "D", and "Z" teams or play in watered down faux elite leagues that not even their own DOC pays attention to after registration fees are secured.
The only problem with your last statement is we would then have hundreds more clubs. While a good thought in theory, the fact is that there is way too much money involved for that to solve the problem. Maybe my experience has been different, but a lot of these families on the non A/B teams don't mind the money, love the structure and friendships that a competitive teams give above a rec team. Is $1500 really too much to keep your kid active, having fun, off of the xbox, usually surrounded by other kids, etc? Maybe I just have a different view of the value proposition.

Eusebio once again provides good perspective.

Is $1500 really too much to keep your kid active, having fun, off of the xbox, usually surrounded by other kids, etc? Maybe I just have a different view of the value proposition.
Concur with you that $1500 is more than reasonable. The difference between a $1500 B team and a $3k B team is that your extra $1500 is going to overhead, marketing, A-team travel funds and scholarships, and other incentives for the overall club. I'm for players and families first, which is why I question posts from team managers and coaches that sound too good to be true or omit important facts.

Eusebio once again provides good perspective.

Concur with you that $1500 is more than reasonable. The difference between a $1500 B team and a $3k B team is that your extra $1500 is going to overhead, marketing, A-team travel funds and scholarships, and other incentives for the overall club. I'm for players and families first, which is why I question posts from team managers and coaches that sound too good to be true or omit important facts.
I guess I am going off of what it is at our club. I don't think I am omitting important facts, I am a coach at the club with two kids that have played at complete opposite ends of the spectrum. I agree, 3k is a lot of money but I guess a lot of that is still what you value. Not a fan personally but to each their own.

It could be worse. In Canada they pay close to $10k a year for their kids to play club hockey! Anything below $2k is fine. I almost enrolled my daughter to taekwando and it's basically $1,500 a year.

We all pay more than reported. Consider, gas, practice jersey's , balls, cleats, private lessons (for those that do it with their coaches for extra time), hotel rooms, tournament fees, league fees, and so on and so on.. what fees did I miss. Now how but of that is a Club Fee?

fcla $2750 plus uniforms
On the westside of LA, that's basically market price (for combined club and team fee). Even a small new club like FC England charges about $2500 + uniforms. Combination of expensive/scarce fields, expensive cost-of-living for coaches, and wealthy demographic. On the other hand, they give lots of scholarships. Those who can pay don't blink at the price and then the clubs can use a % of that $$ to give scholarships to those who can't.

What's happening with Golden State? Was the Academy sold?

Can't really sell youth soccer team(s) or status I thought?

Heard yesterday that Golden State will not be funding Academy teams starting in the 17-18 season. Maybe making some changes or merging operations or something along those lines with another org?

Back to the original questions; Comes down to supply and demand. The demand outstrips the supply by a large margin for real good coaches and programs so costs are high and the demand is not really not meet for most.

It could be worse. In Canada they pay close to $10k a year for their kids to play club hockey! Anything below $2k is fine. I almost enrolled my daughter to taekwando and it's basically $1,500 a year.

Then you have to pay for every test as they move up the belts/levels, apparently early on that happens quite often...
On the westside of LA, that's basically market price (for combined club and team fee). Even a small new club like FC England charges about $2500 + uniforms. Combination of expensive/scarce fields, expensive cost-of-living for coaches, and wealthy demographic. On the other hand, they give lots of scholarships. Those who can pay don't blink at the price and then the clubs can use a % of that $$ to give scholarships to those who can't.

WC does the same thing with the scholarships for the club fees, in my experience 2 to 3 per team, full or partial. Also based in a similar demographic, $outh OC.
For the record it's 2300 there +unis +team fees +travel, it all adds up.

Then you have to pay for every test as they move up the belts/levels, apparently early on that happens quite often...

WC does the same thing with the scholarships for the club fees, in my experience 2 to 3 per team, full or partial. Also based in a similar demographic, $outh OC.
For the record it's 2300 there +unis +team fees +travel, it all adds up.

Most club scholarship money is pretty much imaginary, anyway. As long as a team has enough players rostered to pay the nut (coach salary and expenses, league team registration fee, Cal South player registrations) any added players add nothing to the team or club expense. Uniforms and travel expenses are another matter - in my experience scholarshiped player families paid for and kept the uniforms, and travel and tournament expenses were worked out among the club, coach, manager and family.

Most club scholarship money is pretty much imaginary, anyway. As long as a team has enough players rostered to pay the nut (coach salary and expenses, league team registration fee, Cal South player registrations) any added players add nothing to the team or club expense. Uniforms and travel expenses are another matter - in my experience scholarshiped player families paid for and kept the uniforms, and travel and tournament expenses were worked out among the club, coach, manager and family.
That's assuming an old-school dues structure where the money stays with the team. If the club takes the money from some teams (usually lower ranked) and redistributes it among other teams (usually the elite teams), then it looks a lot more real. Moreover, even under the old-school scheme the scholarship amount is quite real, even if not transparent. Figure out the total amount you need, divide it among the number of full pay units you expect to have (which could include two 1/2 pays as 1 full pay for budgeting purposes) and you have your dues number. If you divided it among the number of kids on the roster, the full pay price would drop as much as $250-$500 depending upon the number of scholarship kids. That's effectively the amount of real money each full pay family is contributing to your team's scholarship fund.

That's assuming an old-school dues structure where the money stays with the team. If the club takes the money from some teams (usually lower ranked) and redistributes it among other teams (usually the elite teams), then it looks a lot more real. Moreover, even under the old-school scheme the scholarship amount is quite real, even if not transparent. Figure out the total amount you need, divide it among the number of full pay units you expect to have (which could include two 1/2 pays as 1 full pay for budgeting purposes) and you have your dues number. If you divided it among the number of kids on the roster, the full pay price would drop as much as $250-$500 depending upon the number of scholarship kids. That's effectively the amount of real money each full pay family is contributing to your team's scholarship fund.

In my experience (which is admittedly several years old) the club charges a set registration fee, which covers coach's salary (which might include in his contract presence at a number of tournaments), registration fees for the player (Cal South registration) and team (Fall playing league registration). That money goes into the club bank account. Each individual team collects money, usually held in an account under control of the coach or team manager, in addition for expenses beyond league play - summer tournaments, winter tournaments, State Cup - including additional coaches fees and expenses.

Back