Who brought the most ECNL players to Presidents this weekend?

you mean the west coast team that lost all 3 of their games?
Nope. West Coast Flight 1 team that won 8-0, 5-0 and 3-0.
Seems they played within the rules.
Their other 04 team in presidents 04 was 0-3 however. Maybe they should have shared the ecnl players between the 2 teams
Their 05 team (same coach as the 04 F1 team) did lose all 3 games.

Gotta beat the best to win the whole thing and some of the best teams aren’t even there. Relish in beating the better players!

sandbagging to win president's cup? why does ecnl take a break to allow this BS and why does cal south allow it? never mind... I hope you all saw some decent soccer this weekend.

I guess the ecnl players were in their scdsl roster most of the season too. 6 on both rosters. 2 as DA Designated players.
I suppose they could have been on the scdsl roster first but were moved up for their development. Rather than moved down to try and make a stronger flight 1 team.

4 of those players are dual carded (and have patches) but play every game with their reserve team. They were given a few opportunities to play up with our 04 ECNL team to give them opportunities to play at a higher level. No rules broken here folks. West Coast gives players opportunities to play up if they earn it and show it during games. My 04 ECNL daughter is actually triple carded to help the Reserve team if needed (which hasn't happened yet) or play up on DA if needed. I like this multiple carding and what it can give to the players. So, no Randy Brown going on here.

Additionally, many of these teams have small roster sizes for more play time but can backfire a bit when players get injured.

sandbagging to win president's cup? why does ecnl take a break to allow this BS and why does cal south allow it? never mind... I hope you all saw some decent soccer this weekend.
Why does ECNL take a break this time of year? Seems they play 11 games from September through end of November. Then pick back up again at the end of March and play 8 more games until the end of May.
Makes sense for those that are playing in a high school season. But most 04s aren't in high school yet.

ECNL likes to keep things consistent. I.e., all WC teams play the same club on the same day to make things easier on scheduling. All ECNL clubs do this I believe. I like it because I have 2 kids on WC ECNL teams and I just show up the same day, same field and I'm done for the weekend. No driving to oceanside and then to thousand oaks on the same day to play different teams.

How many ECNL patches on the Slammers team that won it all today? I know of a few players that are on the ECNL team that played with them.
Both Slammers teams in Flight 1 had pretty slim rosters all season, so I guess they needed to have a few for the bench. You'd think they'd play National Cup though.

How many ECNL patches on the Slammers team that won it all today? I know of a few players that are on the ECNL team that played with them.
Both Slammers teams in Flight 1 had pretty slim rosters all season, so I guess they needed to have a few for the bench. You'd think they'd play National Cup though.
Heard they split the 2004 ECNL team down the middle - half played Presidents and half played National

TB you’ve been at this a long time so I know you know this, but sadly most parents don’t.

The main reason coaches, especially at the larger clubs with many teams per age group, play state cup is to use it as a recruiting tool. So bringing ecnl players is part of the marketing package. Win, claim the title, and bring more kids - naive ones who think winning state cup is special, when there is national cup at the age group and ecnl/DA teams that don’t participate - into the club

There were other years I experienced and heard from friends that their coaches not only lamented national cup but strategically lost to exit early and move on to the next year.

I would guess in the Slammers case, that they brought 4-5 in to replace those who will be cut anyway. Some coaches will tell kids, you can come to state/national cup, but you won’t play.

Slammers, and other large clubs likely could use some other ecnl Players in National Cup, except their season is going again then.

In the end, as much as parents don’t want to realize, club soccer is business, clubs will take anyone’s money, and for the most part these cups are worthless.

But they sell a ton of sweatshirts, parking spaces, and they enjoy their take from the hotel fees.

Slammers had 5 ECNL players when my dd's team played them. Her team was the only team to score 2 goals on them in regulation during the tourney. Her team actually had a 2-1 lead late in the 1st half.
Not bad for a Flt 2 team.

I guess that's another benefit of a club being part of ECNL. You can grab players from that team to play in tournaments at all levels.

Slammers had 5 ECNL players when my dd's team played them. Her team was the only team to score 2 goals on them in regulation during the tourney. Her team actually had a 2-1 lead late in the 1st half.
Not bad for a Flt 2 team.

Beware of first half scores against teams that know what they’re doing. I’ve seen several coaches play softly first half and then bring the needed heat in second. Bakers have always been good at making you think you were in a game then punish you in second half.

As for ECNL players - they are just players. They aren’t magical. They may be a half step faster, a slight but more skilled, or have a little bit better IQ. While some are leaps and bounds better than the average player, the difference is hard to see in the rest. And adding 1,2, or 5 May make a ton of difference or no difference at all in a game.

Did you kid have a good experience? That’s all that really counts here.

Back