When to let your kid quit?

Now if the coach is consistently stopping play during scrimmage, talking about what specific scenarios, decisions made vs. other possible decisions, moving players around, etc, that THAT is hard work and the coach deserves every penny he makes for coaching like that.
Just think how much better this would be if there were two coaches who were on the same page, but one watching and talking to the GK and backs and the other more focused on watching mids and forwards. But that would mean paying two coaches...

Now if the coach is consistently stopping play during scrimmage, talking about what specific scenarios, decisions made vs. other possible decisions, moving players around, etc, that THAT is hard work and the coach deserves every penny he makes for coaching like that.

That is the idea behind the US Soccer methodology and what coaches are supposed to be doing in stage 2, 3 and (more rarely) 4....they call it the "freeze" method. They also recognize the limits of not having 2 coaches....it's why the coach is supposed to be focused only on the attackers/defenders/fw/mid/def/gk (depending on his topic)....in my exercise, for example, I was reprimanded for giving the keeper (my son) a teaching point when the exercise was supposed to be focused on the wingers.

That is the idea behind the US Soccer methodology and what coaches are supposed to be doing in stage 2, 3 and (more rarely) 4....they call it the "freeze" method. They also recognize the limits of not having 2 coaches....it's why the coach is supposed to be focused only on the attackers/defenders/fw/mid/def/gk (depending on his topic)....in my exercise, for example, I was reprimanded for giving the keeper (my son) a teaching point when the exercise was supposed to be focused on the wingers.
This seems so counter productive. Any teaching point should be embraced...

Never thought of that! Right now I tell him if he doesn't go to practice he loses all his electronics and phone till he goes to the next practice. which means he wouldn't have access for days. He ends up going but it's never without an argument. He says he hates soccer that I made him hate it. His grades are average nothing to brag about. I told him if he can swing a 4.0 I'll let him quit, but that's not going to happen.

It bugs me to see him on the computer when he's not in school or at practice. I mean give me a break it's 2-3 times a week out of 7. The other 4-5 he has to himself to play hours and hours of his stupid games.
This is the heart of the problem.

Organized soccer is probably not as fun as it should be. Travel. Coaches getting mad, parents getting frustrated. Car rides home after a long drive and a shitty game. And I'm as guilty as anyone out there. I'd love to have a neighborhood of great kid players living nearby that would play pickup with each other for a couple hours a day.

But that neighborhood doesn't exist anymore. There has to be a critical mass of players, and video games and multiple sports choices are siphoning off the critical mass of players needed for neighborhood balling.

So you end up with a kid not enjoying organized sports and no informal neighborhood games to turn to, so they shut themselves in their room with their phone, beats headphones, and computer.

And then Mom and dad are trying to figure out, how do I motivate this kid.

I have to say I disagree a tad on this now. I am happy he DA came about and added 9. Yes dilution occurred but frankly every one can and should have the ability to play in their neighborhood now.
I really wish this would happen and people would stay at their local clubs.

Yes dilution occurred but frankly every one can and should have the ability to play in their neighborhood now.
That's the thing: Families have to commit to doing that. The Slammers or Galaxy(TM) franchise is the "new" model, but doesn't have to be the better model. (But they do, in general, pay to have better fields.)

Also coaches have to commit to bringing in pairs/trios of friends to build a team. Takes work. Hard to make money that way. :(

I have to say I disagree a tad on this now. I am happy he DA came about and added 9. Yes dilution occurred but frankly every one can and should have the ability to play in their neighborhood now.

But I think this is part of the reason we see movement from local clubs. A local club that only offers presidio, scdsl or csl is no longer enough for a lot of parents. I really think there should be one league per geographic area, with a couple ecnl/Da teams to cater to the "special" players.

I understand your reasoning though. I'm just seeing several local clubs go under because they don't offer the acronyms that parents like.

Your coach must be giving the US Soccer and CalSouth methodology the massive finger. See my post on the E License, but the gist of the US Soccer/Cal South methodology is, in short, all srimmage all the time. Skills work is supposed to be limited to the warm up (phase 1), progressing to small sided exercise, mid sided exercise, and (they couldn't emphasize enough) always always always ending in scrimmage.
Sorry, I guess we do scrimmage at least 50% of practices if you consider dividing the team in half and playing each other counts as a scrimmage. But I believe coaches should have leeway and not have to adhere to a national plan that may not be perfect for every team out there. Our team needed more skills development, hence why we were a bit heavy on that the past few months.

Back