What's happening at Cal South?

I wish it could be just CSL like the old days...not a bunch of leagues creating parity everywhere...there was promotion and relegation and you actually had to do well to move up, Premier teams were actually legit and got there because they deserved it, not because they are a part of a big club that controls the landscape of youth soccer today. Then ODP actually meant something, too bad. New is definitely not always better
I heard about those days where it was only a few top teams and no one traveled until college and maybe a natty run. The last four years, if you showed any need for financial help so kid can fly to FL and all the other places in one year, you got looked at like, "What's wrong with you." Pay up or stay home and no play for you unless you pay. How much, honestly was it to play soccer back in those day? I also heard it wasnt 24/7, 365. Kids played other sports and had other hobbies, I love hearing about what it used to be like.

Turner is an opportunist and sell out. He would never have been voted into CalSouth when it was strong and he never really cared about the clubs in Presidio, especially the little neighborhood clubs. Now he is going to help in their demise. I see the large clubs taking over and deciding which clubs get into the league. AYSO Matrix and United teams will be the first ones crushed and these kiddos are the ones least likely to be able to afford the big clubs and travel the longer distances for practice.

Turner is an opportunist and sell out. He would never have been voted into CalSouth when it was strong and he never really cared about the clubs in Presidio, especially the little neighborhood clubs. Now he is going to help in their demise. I see the large clubs taking over and deciding which clubs get into the league. AYSO Matrix and United teams will be the first ones crushed and these kiddos are the ones least likely to be able to afford the big clubs and travel the longer distances for practice.
I'm not sure why everyone is so worried about big clubs? Technically AYSO United is a huge club as AYSO is a national organization. There are still plenty of community based clubs all across the country. They still matter and will continue to matter. Club size just gives people options. Whatever experience they are looking for, there are options.

Pepsi is a name brand product and is a little on the expensive side. But Stater Bros also has a generic, cheaper brand of soda. Buy what you want based on your taste and what you can afford. No one is forcing you to buy one brand over the other.

Competition in any market it good for the consumer. Community based clubs will always have a base and local support which is great for the families that want to practice at the local park or school and aren't looking for a national experience. For those that want the bigger experience then a larger club that provides that experience is an option for them. People shouldn't be pigeonholed into just one option. This is why electric bills are so high in CA. One option. No choice in electric companies. Pay what we charge or your power is turned off. Youth soccer isn't that way. Choose what type of club experience you are looking for and commit to it.

Next, lets looks at club expansion and your theory that the smaller ones will be crushed and let's use the model of a few of the larger clubs, Surf, Legends, Pateadores. They expand in to areas by merging with smaller clubs because the smaller clubs want this. Not because they are forced to. The smaller club isn't crushed. The players aren't traveling longer distances for practice. They are still playing and practicing in their local area but wearing a different uniform. If fees go up then that's because the smaller club that became part of the larger club agreed to it. Most likely they are getting more for their fees by being a part of something bigger. But the clubs don't go away. They probably still have the same staff, same coaches, same leadership and again, they still practice and play at the same fields.

Every parent wants an experience that is best for their player and they want to get the most for their money. There are plenty of options for every level of play and every type of player. Just choose the one that is right for your player and your family.

I'm not sure why everyone is so worried about big clubs? Technically AYSO United is a huge club as AYSO is a national organization. There are still plenty of community based clubs all across the country. They still matter and will continue to matter. Club size just gives people options. Whatever experience they are looking for, there are options.

Pepsi is a name brand product and is a little on the expensive side. But Stater Bros also has a generic, cheaper brand of soda. Buy what you want based on your taste and what you can afford. No one is forcing you to buy one brand over the other.

Competition in any market it good for the consumer. Community based clubs will always have a base and local support which is great for the families that want to practice at the local park or school and aren't looking for a national experience. For those that want the bigger experience then a larger club that provides that experience is an option for them. People shouldn't be pigeonholed into just one option. This is why electric bills are so high in CA. One option. No choice in electric companies. Pay what we charge or your power is turned off. Youth soccer isn't that way. Choose what type of club experience you are looking for and commit to it.

Next, lets looks at club expansion and your theory that the smaller ones will be crushed and let's use the model of a few of the larger clubs, Surf, Legends, Pateadores. They expand in to areas by merging with smaller clubs because the smaller clubs want this. Not because they are forced to. The smaller club isn't crushed. The players aren't traveling longer distances for practice. They are still playing and practicing in their local area but wearing a different uniform. If fees go up then that's because the smaller club that became part of the larger club agreed to it. Most likely they are getting more for their fees by being a part of something bigger. But the clubs don't go away. They probably still have the same staff, same coaches, same leadership and again, they still practice and play at the same fields.

Every parent wants an experience that is best for their player and they want to get the most for their money. There are plenty of options for every level of play and every type of player. Just choose the one that is right for your player and your family.
The trouble comes when big clubs use their power to rewrite the rules in their favor.

Little club finally has a chance to win the division. But, when they play the second team from the big club, there are four guest players from the first team. And four bored-looking kids on the bench. Down 4-3, second place.

You can appeal if you like. But the big clubs control the board, so it’s not going anywhere.

With stunts like that, don’t be surprised people hate the big clubs.

I wish it could be just CSL like the old days...not a bunch of leagues creating parity everywhere...there was promotion and relegation and you actually had to do well to move up, Premier teams were actually legit and got there because they deserved it, not because they are a part of a big club that controls the landscape of youth soccer today. Then ODP actually meant something, too bad. New is definitely not always better
We have promotion and relegation now.
A local, community based team at u9 has some strong players. They have a good season. The ECNL club in town comes out and "promotes" themselves to the 2 best players on the team. The other 9 players are now "relegated" to trying to recruit a few new players to fill those spots. Either from a team that they beat last year in their league or from the "b" team within their same club.

Those 9 decent kids would probably thrive playing with those 2 players who got "the call up" now have an average season. The parents can't figure out why they arent winning every game by 3 goals this year. They see the ECNL club that now has those 2 players is doing well. They hear that ECNL is the best place to be. They hear about that club having an ECNL Regional League and a Flight 1 team, so they go to a "Player Identification" camp to check things out. The big club offers their kid a "Spot" but doesn't say which team. Just "pay your deposit and we'll let you know someday soon."

Lots of people talk about youth sports as promoting "team work" and "work hard values." The current landscape is more about managing change every year and how to deal with something new every 9 months.

Philosophically I don't disagree with you; however, I believe were at the point of oversaturation of choices in the market. Most of the leagues and clubs are just the same product with different branding. It has a Pepsi label, but its just State Bros Cola.

The trouble comes when big clubs use their power to rewrite the rules in their favor.

Little club finally has a chance to win the division. But, when they play the second team from the big club, there are four guest players from the first team. And four bored-looking kids on the bench. Down 4-3, second place.

You can appeal if you like. But the big clubs control the board, so it’s not going anywhere.

With stunts like that, don’t be surprised people hate the big clubs.
Respectfully, I'd have to argue with you on this. If you go to the standings page on the SCDSL website for 2019 results, you will see a lot of smaller clubs in first place and just because you see the name Legends or Pateadores or Surf after the team name in some cases, they are still communicty based satellite groups with their own player pools. They just wear the same uniform.
I'm not sure this POV bares any weight based on what I'm seeing http://scdslsoccer.com/standings/2019-fall-standings

Philosophically I don't disagree with you; however, I believe were at the point of oversaturation of choices in the market. Most of the leagues and clubs are just the same product with different branding. It has a Pepsi label, but its just State Bros Cola.
I get what you are saying. I too believe there is oversaturation in the market and I could go on for days about why and what needs to be done but it won't change anything so we just have to make the best choice we can for our players and be as educated as possible on those choices.

We have promotion and relegation now.
A local, community based team at u9 has some strong players. They have a good season. The ECNL club in town comes out and "promotes" themselves to the 2 best players on the team. The other 9 players are now "relegated" to trying to recruit a few new players to fill those spots. Either from a team that they beat last year in their league or from the "b" team within their same club.

Those 9 decent kids would probably thrive playing with those 2 players who got "the call up" now have an average season. The parents can't figure out why they arent winning every game by 3 goals this year. They see the ECNL club that now has those 2 players is doing well. They hear that ECNL is the best place to be. They hear about that club having an ECNL Regional League and a Flight 1 team, so they go to a "Player Identification" camp to check things out. The big club offers their kid a "Spot" but doesn't say which team. Just "pay your deposit and we'll let you know someday soon."

Lots of people talk about youth sports as promoting "team work" and "work hard values." The current landscape is more about managing change every year and how to deal with something new every 9 months.
How the hell did you read my mind bro? That's my dd story in a nutshell. Two dudes scouting her from top club for a season because my goat scored a lot of goals at second tier club. I got the call and she got the call up by the great one and off she went to da Blues. The smaller club was not so small though and had just lost AS as well to the Blues. Again, dumb dumb dad and moron, idiot, stupid father got caught in the tug of toxic shit that made me puke all the time. I just coulndt keep my big mouth shut. I sure hope it gets better coach. Stay local and somehow keep those two kids from leaving. I'm here to give any feedback I can to help the smaller club keep the two from leaving. One thing I would propose is to offer them full rides, just like the big clubs do. Have the local board do a one time cash call each year and put the loot in the vault for safe keeping. If you see the top clubs Doc sitting on the sidelines taking notes, go to the goats parents and get the deal done. Dont wait until the goat leaves and wins state cup and then make big offer.....lol!!! Kicker knows the story all to well.....lol!!! All kidding aside, stay local and play local :)

How the hell did you read my mind bro? That's my dd story in a nutshell. Two dudes scouting her from top club for a season because my goat scored a lot of goals at second tier club. I got the call and she got the call up by the great one and off she went to da Blues. The smaller club was not so small though and had just lost AS as well to the Blues. Again, dumb dumb dad and moron, idiot, stupid father got caught in the tug of toxic shit that made me puke all the time. I just coulndt keep my big mouth shut. I sure hope it gets better coach. Stay local and somehow keep those two kids from leaving. I'm here to give any feedback I can to help the smaller club keep the two from leaving. One thing I would propose is to offer them full rides, just like the big clubs do. Have the local board do a one time cash call each year and put the loot in the vault for safe keeping. If you see the top clubs Doc sitting on the sidelines taking notes, go to the goats parents and get the deal done. Dont wait until the goat leaves and wins state cup and then make big offer.....lol!!! Kicker knows the story all to well.....lol!!! All kidding aside, stay local and play local :)
Best players need to be with best players. Don't stay so little Susie can win because your goat did all the work. There is no future for goats who stay with mediocre teams.

Respectfully, I'd have to argue with you on this. If you go to the standings page on the SCDSL website for 2019 results, you will see a lot of smaller clubs in first place and just because you see the name Legends or Pateadores or Surf after the team name in some cases, they are still communicty based satellite groups with their own player pools. They just wear the same uniform.
I'm not sure this POV bares any weight based on what I'm seeing http://scdslsoccer.com/standings/2019-fall-standings
The scenario I gave was from NorCal. My kid was one of the ringers. Parents on the other team were pissed, and I don’t blame them. There was no way the 2nd team could have won that game on their own. Bad decision on my part. I thought they were short people, but it was something else.. We did not guest down after that.

I don’t know if the big clubs down there use guest players to prop up a weak team, but it would surprise me if they didn’t.

Best players need to be with best players. Don't stay so little Susie can win because your goat did all the work. There is no future for goats who stay with mediocre teams.
I'm 50/50 on that. Yes and no, does that make any sense to you Eagle or do you think I'm on drugs? I do think if your a super goat and pro type player, then you need to go where the pros are. What age are you thinking the goat should go to be with the other top goats? Be honest with me? Boys first and then the what age for the girls? I know you to be a wise man so level with me before I leave to have tea with my best friend who holds me at night and tells me everything will be just find.

The scenario I gave was from NorCal. My kid was one of the ringers. Parents on the other team were pissed, and I don’t blame them. There was no way the 2nd team could have won that game on their own. Bad decision on my part. I thought they were short people, but it was something else.. We did not guest down after that.

I don’t know if the big clubs down there use guest players to prop up a weak team, but it would surprise me if they didn’t.
I've been there. One time back when me goat was 9, I took her over to United club for a looksy. I needed a change because one of the dads on the team who tried to coach the kids from the sideline wanted to kick my ass. So I take her and after 30 minutes parents were coming up to me in ahhhhh. The coach leveled with me and said their is no way she would be allowed to play on the team, let alone the league. He said the parents on the opposing teams would be super pissed off at me for even thinking about the idea of my dd playing. So we left and went somewhere else.

Agree to a point. There are a lot of kids who stay local, play for teams with “mediocre” results but have phenomenal coaches who are developing those teams and “goats” at the expense of results and those players go on to do great things.

I'm 50/50 on that. Yes and no, does that make any sense to you Eagle or do you think I'm on drugs? I do think if your a super goat and pro type player, then you need to go where the pros are. What age are you thinking the goat should go to be with the other top goats? Be honest with me? Boys first and then the what age for the girls? I know you to be a wise man so level with me before I leave to have tea with my best friend who holds me at night and tells me everything will be just find.
As soon as you know your goat is better than anyone on a team. Same for boys and girls.

Agree to a point. There are a lot of kids who stay local, play for teams with “mediocre” results but have phenomenal coaches who are developing those teams and “goats” at the expense of results and those players go on to do great things.
Yes, you are correct it is happening and often, but it shouldn't. The players you see currently breaking away like Pulisic or recently Hoppe would not be where they at if they would stay on a mediocre team.

Yes, you are correct it is happening and often, but it shouldn't. The players you see currently breaking away like Pulisic or recently Hoppe would not be where they at if they would stay on a mediocre team.
Agreed....there is a nexus where a player outgrows the environment they are in.

As soon as you know your goat is better than anyone on a team. Same for boys and girls.
Kicker disagrees bro. I need someone else then myself to chime in here. This was where The Decision was made. 46, the TM thinks I made the decision. She was 10 when the great Tad called. Kicker makes a point to so I want to hear both sides. Scene 2, Chapter 2: Sometime in 2013. She is scoring and killing it. Her second tier club was actually beating the big boys sometimes and it was on. I hated the Blues and Surf at the time. meaning, we just wanted to beat them. I heard it all about the big clubs. I keep going back and forth in my brain. The kicker for me thinking that it was right was because she would have stayed on Tad's team until next year. That was the plan and I will always wonder, "what if."

Dear Presidio Board Members:
This is one of the most difficult decisions I have ever made, but I am comforted as I look to the future and what it brings, as I believe this is truly the right thing at this time.
Presidio has been my home for over 25 years. You all have not only been coworkers, but my friends, and I have loved every minute (well most every minute) of being a part of this organization. The member clubs of Presidio have always been my #1 priority in all decisions I have made. It has always been about what is best for the clubs, the players, and the families here in San Diego.
You all know how passionate I am about youth soccer in our community. To the extent that I ran for, and won, the Cal South President position in hopes of invoking change within our State Association. However, and as you have already heard, effective Friday, February 12th, I resigned from the Cal South Presidency.
I have been very boisterous for many years about Cal South’s ineptness, lack of respect and disregard for our League and Club’s needs. We have talked many times over the years about teaming up with the other gaming Leagues and leave Cal South. Well for me, enough is enough.
This notification is the next step on my journey.
I am resigning from my position as the Executive Director of Presidio Soccer, effective immediately, and I will be joining the Southern California Developmental Soccer League (SCDSL) as the Executive Director of SCDSL – San Diego. This opportunity presented itself very recently and I believe that what the SCDSL is offering, through its transition out of Cal South and into US Club Soccer, will provide an abundance of possibilities and opportunities to all members that are part of the SCDSL, including the member clubs in San Diego.
Their new platform that includes State Cup, a CA State Championship, regionalized PDP, expanded coaching education, college showcases, the Discovery NPL, and a self-contained San Diego gaming schedule, that will rejuvenate youth soccer in Southern California.
I am excited about this new adventure and I would not be doing this if I did not whole-heartedly believe that this is what is best for the clubs in San Diego. Joining this movement to US Club and the SCDSL, will benefit everyone that is a part of it and I truly believe that the San Diego market deserves better and will thrive and prosper from it.
It has been a wonderful journey working with all of you and it is my sincere hope that we can continue to work together on this new adventure.
Sincerely,
Bob Turner

So is SCDSL going to form a competing league to Presidio in San Diego? Or is it trying to get Presidio to leave Cal South and join forces with SCDSL?

In league play not so much, but in weekend tournaments quite often.

Back