Verbal Commitments

From Topdrawersoccer: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/article/?articleId=41440&categoryId=2

Tatiana Fung, Forward, Arsenal FC (CA)/Sunny Hills
Class
: 2021
Commitment: Texas

While four years sit between now and the graduating class of 2021, head coach Angela Kelly continues to lead the way in early recruiting.

Tatiana Fung recently became the fourth player to commit for that year.

“I decided to commit to Texas because that has been my dream school for the longest time,” she told TopDrawerSoccer. “Their staff is one of a kind, they treat you like family and that's what I love about it. The facilities are beautiful and academics are the top priority. Angela Kelly's coaching style is exactly how I love it.”

MORE: Girls Commitments | 2018 Girls IMG Academy 150

The way Texas treats its athletes caught her attention, whether it was from the coaching staff or the university itself.

Academic choices, while farther down the road, intrigued her as well.

“I liked the kinesiology program and that you have tutors to help you if you are struggling,” Fund said. “They take pride in the classrooms and on the field.”

Four players have committed to join Texas in 2021.
My dd could have said the same about every program she visited. Everything said was pretty generic. She didn't take a trip until her sophomore year and waited till the beginning of her Junior year to commit. And we are glad we did as 2 of her dream schools made strong pushes for her at the end. She could have settled and went to the first school that had her on a visit. She would have literally quoted the above quote word for word. So glad she didn't. No need to commit too early. If a program really likes you they will still like after you wait until you are sure.

Before you know it, pregnant mothers of "desirable physical attribute parents" will be approached to commit their unborn kid to college. Since the kid is not born yet, no NCAA rules are broken and they can say and do whatever....

Promises of full ride and excellent education. No need for 529 plan or savings, for athletic parents who played at college or pro....
I heard it already happened.

No need to commit too early.

I think some people think that you aren't elite unless you commit before your sophomore year. People don't realize that Mallory Pugh (just one example) didn't commit until her senior year. I'm pretty sure she qualifies as elite ;) And it's just that, if you are elite, then you have plenty of time to figure out what you want to study, what you want in a college, AND the college will be able to watch you grow, or not, and keep pursuing you, or not.

I think some people think that you aren't elite unless you commit before your sophomore year. People don't realize that Mallory Pugh (just one example) didn't commit until her senior year. I'm pretty sure she qualifies as elite ;) And it's just that, if you are elite, then you have plenty of time to figure out what you want to study, what you want in a college, AND the college will be able to watch you grow, or not, and keep pursuing you, or not.

Mallory Pugh committed in April of her sophomore year of high school although she had offers from everyone and their mother as a freshman.

Mallory Pugh committed in April of her sophomore year of high school although she had offers from everyone and their mother as a freshman.
I meant that she didn't sign until her senior year, sorry, I'm always forget little details. I'm almost sure because wasn't there all of those rumors of her forgoing college and signing with the Portland Thorns? Then she officially signed her NLI in spring or something? And of course I know that she couldn't have signed, that nobody signs their sophomore year and that any commits made sophmore year are verbal, but I was under the impression that she was planning to attend UCLA, but didn't sign her NLI until considerably later...
Cause if so, I was just trying to show that even the best keep their options open
If not, my apologies that I was feeding bad info :(

I meant that she didn't sign until her senior year, sorry, I'm always forget little details.
And of course I know that she couldn't have signed, that nobody signs their sophomore year and that any commits made sophmore year are verbal, but I was under the impression that she was planning to attend UCLA, but didn't sign her NLI until considerably later...

I'm pretty sure no one can sign an NLI until their senior year.

I meant that she didn't sign until her senior year, sorry, I'm always forget little details. I'm almost sure because wasn't there all of those rumors of her forgoing college and signing with the Portland Thorns? Then she officially signed her NLI in spring or something? And of course I know that she couldn't have signed, that nobody signs their sophomore year and that any commits made sophmore year are verbal, but I was under the impression that she was planning to attend UCLA, but didn't sign her NLI until considerably later...
Cause if so, I was just trying to show that even the best keep their options open

She signed on signing day and they released a press release as soon as all 7 players that were based in North America signed. They added their Australian goalkeeper, a Spanish forward and a Japanese midfielder a few weeks later. The Spanish forward was a JC transfer (she had to pass the TOEFL), the goalie signed without visiting and the midfielder was a dual citizen (she was born in New York). I'm pretty well informed on this topic. Here is a press release from signing day that breaks down their class. That recruiting class could go down as the best ever and had an immediate impact even with Pugh and Canales sitting out the season for the U20 WWC and ended up having 3 players named to the best IX freshman and Fleming winning freshman of the year.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/ucla-womens-soccer-signs-2016-class_aid38799

I remember reading several articles about it last year, though at the time I definitely didn't have nearly the amount of knowledge about what was going on in the college world as MAP does. Here's two
https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/02/03/uswnt-mallory-pugh-ucla-signs-nwsl
http://pac-12.com/article/2016/02/04/mallory-pugh-nations-no-1-womens-soccer-recruit-signs-ucla

Those were just rumors and why they should speak to the kid or her family before the print such tripe. She isn't a kid from the hood who is hard up for money. She is enjoying her time at UCLA and is looking to win a national championship this season before the run up to the 2019 WWC begins. She is the scalpel that the Bruins were missing last year when Jenkins went down.

She signed on signing day and they released a press release as soon as all 7 players that were based in North America signed. They added their Australian goalkeeper, a Spanish forward and a Japanese midfielder a few weeks later. The Spanish forward was a JC transfer (she had to pass the TOEFL), the goalie signed without visiting and the midfielder was a dual citizen (she was born in New York). I'm pretty well informed on this topic. Here is a press release from signing day that breaks down their class. That recruiting class could go down as the best ever and had an immediate impact even with Pugh and Canales sitting out the season for the U20 WWC and ended up having 3 players named to the best IX freshman and Fleming winning freshman of the year.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/ucla-womens-soccer-signs-2016-class_aid38799
oh okay... I wasn't trying to say your uninformed, because I really like hearing you talk about soccer and seeing how knowledgeable you are on this topic in particular, I was trying to figure out where the inconsistencies in what I heard came from, and I knew the rumors were just rumors but that's where the timeline started for me. Thank you!

Your prior post is true, YNT players can wait and still get money. Here are a couple of examples of incoming college freshmen. K.P. committed to Stanford her Jr year and she was still being recruited by Virgina, Notre Dame, FSU, and Santa Clara as well. T.T. committed to UVA her Jr year as well.

oh okay... I wasn't trying to say your uninformed, because I really like hearing you talk about soccer and seeing how knowledgeable you are on this topic in particular, I was trying to figure out where the inconsistencies in what I heard came from, and I knew the rumors were just rumors but that's where the timeline started for me. Thank you!

I didn't say that you were trying to imply that I was uninformed. I was just clearing up the record about when she committed, when she signed (the same day as all of their North American based recruits) and where the fake rumors of her skipping college came from. No worries she is doing fine. Her, Fleming and Goralski won't be playing tomorrow against the Seattle Reign. All three are in various national team camps. I did hear that they have a spring game not listed on their official roster down in San Diego a week from Friday that will be announced soon.

Speaking of which, what are the thoughts on the UA contract? I know a lot of girls who don't really like UA, especially seeing as how they're always in Nike with a majority of the big time clubs wearing Nike, Cal South with the Nike sponsorship, and for YNT teams players, obviously their gear is Nike. Does anyone know if the contract is gear too? Or just apparel? I mean, even on the field, I would say Santa Clara has the best UA jerseys but for goalkeepers ... it's not always the prettiest or even nicest looking. Just looking for thoughts, maybe what their DD's say about it. I know a lot of parents don't think it's a big deal, but there are also a LOT of players who are very brand-picky.

Speaking of which, what are the thoughts on the UA contract? I know a lot of girls who don't really like UA, especially seeing as how they're always in Nike with a majority of the big time clubs wearing Nike, Cal South with the Nike sponsorship, and for YNT teams players, obviously their gear is Nike. Does anyone know if the contract is gear too? Or just apparel? I mean, even on the field, I would say Santa Clara has the best UA jerseys but for goalkeepers ... it's not always the prettiest or even nicest looking. Just looking for thoughts, maybe what their DD's say about it. I know a lot of parents don't think it's a big deal, but there are also a LOT of players who are very brand-picky.

They haven't started wearing the UA stuff yet. It starts in the fall. The contract is for gear and apparel. It is a very generous agreement and they will see how it goes. I do know that if they have a problem with a particular shoe that they can get other brands but would have to slap a UA sticker on it for games.

Regarding players being picky, free is always the best and I would imagine trump a lot of concerns.

They haven't started wearing the UA stuff yet. It starts in the fall. The contract is for gear and apparel. It is a very generous agreement and they will see how it goes. I do know that if they have a problem with a particular shoe that they can get other brands but would have to slap a UA sticker on it for games.

Regarding players being picky, free is always the best and I would imagine trump a lot of concerns.

And the Adidas contract ends this summer, correct? About the shoe thing, does UA produce high top boots? I've searched their website to no avail. I'd explain my thinking but you probably know the value (at least I have found) in a player's boot (i.e. fit, style, etc), but I'm not saying that the boot makes the player by any means. And I definitely share the same belief, if it's free it's free. Also, I know that a lot of contracts have the "leeway" where if a player is having problems with their feet due to the product, they can wear another brand only if the brand is (depending on the contract) either covered/hidden or covered with a sticker for the respective brand. I believe at Oregon, Nike had stated that should the player have problems they will do their best to adapt/personalize the shoe to that specific player's needs, but if ultimately it doesn't work, the above goes into effect.

And the Adidas contract ends this summer, correct? About the shoe thing, does UA produce high top boots? I've searched their website to no avail. I'd explain my thinking but you probably know the value (at least I have found) in a player's boot (i.e. fit, style, etc), but I'm not saying that the boot makes the player by any means. And I definitely share the same belief, if it's free it's free. Also, I know that a lot of contracts have the "leeway" where if a player is having problems with their feet due to the product, they can wear another brand only if the brand is (depending on the contract) either covered/hidden or covered with a sticker for the respective brand. I believe at Oregon, Nike had stated that should the player have problems they will do their best to adapt/personalize the shoe to that specific player's needs, but if ultimately it doesn't work, the above goes into effect.
My DD prefers Nike, but I'm sure if Lululemon got into the jersey business. She would rather have that over Nike.

Back