Verbal Commitments

Glen

SILVER ELITE
Interesting article about potential Ivy League changes to early recruiting and verbal commitments. I've seen some proposals from the NCAA about the same, but the Ivy League may be the testing ground.

One fact that jumped out at me:

"Harris pointed to increasing transfer rates in intercollegiate athletics as evidence athletes are making recruitment decisions too early. According to the NCAA, one-third of college athletes transfer to another program."

Interesting article about potential Ivy League changes to early recruiting and verbal commitments. I've seen some proposals from the NCAA about the same, but the Ivy League may be the testing ground.

"Harris pointed to increasing transfer rates in intercollegiate athletics as evidence athletes are making recruitment decisions too early. According to the NCAA, one-third of college athletes transfer to another program."
G, can you post the link to the article ?

G, thanks for posting the link. Interesting article. The Ivy League is small which will make it easy to police themselves and enforce the rule. Not sure how it would work on a broader scale. Kids committing in middle school seems insane... I think it might be an issue with the parents more so than the schools...

Good article. My DD was one of those transfer students. She left in-state tuition and a $14000 scholarship in South Carolina after her freshman year and came back home to attend and play at a junior college this year. She did not like the South Carolina atmosphere on campus/team or the culture off campus. She took summer classes a full load in the fall and over winter break and will be transferring to a California college next fall. She has offers from 4 of the 5 California colleges she has applied for, so we are just waiting to see which ones she gets accepted. She has a 3.98 GPA and will complete her Associates degree this spring. What I didn't know is that since she will complete her AA degree in the spring that the California Universities look at that as already being completed and she falls within the priority transfer group. We expect her to get accepted to all 5 universities, than the hard part comes....deciding which one she will attend and whether she will play soccer and if so at which level (universities top competitive team or the universities club team). DD said that if she had to do it all over again that she would have stayed home, attended the JC and played soccer than transferred to a University. She will get free tuition at whichever California university she attends since I am a disabled Veteran. One of my DD friends is a freshman at an Illinois university and playing soccer this year. She has also decided that she will be coming back to California and attending a JC next fall. She hates the cold and snow, and has changed her mind about her declared major.

Surfref, Interesting about your DDs friend not liking almost zero degree weather and 2-3 feet of snow. Seriously, I'm not surprised she doesn't like the weather. It's why I tell parents, if their DD is considering mid-west and/or east coast schools. They need to go on their unofficial visit during the dead of Winter. IMO, these teenagers think cold and snowy weather as having fun snowboarding at Mammoth or Big Bear.

Good luck to your daughter!

G, thanks for posting the link. Interesting article. The Ivy League is small which will make it easy to police themselves and enforce the rule. Not sure how it would work on a broader scale. Kids committing in middle school seems insane... I think it might be an issue with the parents more so than the schools...

Agreed. Though, the one thing usual about verbal commitments is that "secret verbal commitments" aren't what coaches really want. Will they still happen if early verbal commits are banned, of course. But it's not like other rules, such as practice, where you can violate them quietly and still get all the benefit.

Agreed. Though, the one thing usual about verbal commitments is that "secret verbal commitments" aren't what coaches really want. Will they still happen if early verbal commits are banned, of course. But it's not like other rules, such as practice, where you can violate them quietly and still get all the benefit.

Verbal-schmerbal....Of course the Ivy League is proposing it, they have the least to loose because no matter how much of a talented baller a recruit may be, if the kid doesn't make high standards of an Ivy academic admissions dept, the verbal means zero, zilch, nada:(

My kid is gutting it out on the mean streets of Malibu.
Fingers crossed.

Well, let's hope she doesn't run into these cronies from the "Bu"...(circa 1991)

pointbreak01-640x420.jpg

Verbal-schmerbal....Of course the Ivy League is proposing it, they have the least to loose because no matter how much of a talented baller a recruit may be, if the kid doesn't make high standards of an Ivy academic admissions dept, the verbal means zero, zilch, nada:(

And they get some pretty talented ballers. Not to mention some AMAZING and powerful women!

Signing day on Wednesday. It all starts to get real. Hopefully everyone has been putting in work. Bad decisions or poor work ethic leads to transfers! Florida St. had half of their 8 man recruiting class leave school and might lose another. Lots of SoCal girls from the 2016 class have transferred. Let's hope that the 2017 class did a better job of vetting their options. Playing in BFE may sound good but the reality is most of our girls are West Coasters... Pick the college not the soccer program. Good luck to all.

Signing day on Wednesday. It all starts to get real. Hopefully everyone has been putting in work. Bad decisions or poor work ethic leads to transfers! Florida St. had half of their 8 man recruiting class leave school and might lose another. Lots of SoCal girls from the 2016 class have transferred. Let's hope that the 2017 class did a better job of vetting their options. Playing in BFE may sound good but the reality is most of our girls are West Coasters... Pick the college not the soccer program. Good luck to all.

Even with good vetting and several visits, the program and school can turn out to not be a good fit. If it is not a good fit, hopefully the kids are not afraid to tell their parents and restart the college process. Don't make a bad situation worse.

It's tough to receive a scholarship to a D1 CA school.

Very true. There are only 21 universities in California that currently play D1 women's soccer. That is on average 7 opportunities per grad year per school for a total of 147 spots. Even if you remove Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, Santa Clara and Pepperdine you still have 105 spots. Not many but still plenty of chances for players to stay instate. When you consider that Notre Dame, Duke, Georgetown, Virginia and the Ivies will poach some of the better players that are also elite students it still gives a talented SoCal girl a fighting chance to stay in California.

I agree with you though it is tough to get a scholarship to play college soccer in SoCal. That's why a lot of players go out of state.

It's tough to receive a scholarship to a D1 CA school.

True statement but its hard to get any when you consider only handful of players get a roster spot regardless of division.

Why is D1 important? Or the school of your interest happens to be D1? Hope is the latter. There are so many top notch institutions that are D3. For some unknown reason, D2 seems to be in no man's land but maybe its a CA thing...

So, eastbay, is staying in the Bay Area or SoCal important? Options are so much greater, when you fold the map out...

My dd was open to going anywhere for the adventure. We opened up the recruitment to D3 and yes if you receive an academic scholarship of some sort it's probably better than the D2 choices we have in CA. UC SAn Diego is probably at the top of the list at D2 but as a UC is it is very difficult to juggle a science major with soccer. At D3's you are a student first and hence you have time to be an engineering major or pre-med and play soccer.

Back