Vegas Cup

Vegas was, well Vegas.
Vegas Cup...not so much. It was a fun experience for the girls, but I'm hoping this one isn't on the scheduled tourneys for next season.

waste of a time and money for those teams in Girls U12 Gold - Bracket A --- no team at that level spends all that money to go win games 18-0

what a waste!

We got to play this team. Felt bad for the girls on the other side. The fault is 100% on the tournament directors. The team may have already been spent by the time we played them, but they showed up 15 minutes before game time (all our parents thought it was going to be a forfeit), they started the game one player short, they did not have matching uniforms, at least one of the girls was 9 years old at the most (looked like 8). I understand that Ajax dropping out last second was a curve ball, but they could have moved a team from the silver elite bracket up. No offense to the girls as I know they tried their best, but this team was not even at AYSO level and should not have been put through the beatings they got. As far as scores go, I was shocked when I seen 18-0, but we were scoring even when the coach made us connect a said number of passes before shooting or using players that only play defense up front. There was little that could be done about putting in a ton of goals when a game is this lopsided. We only got 13, so I felt that was a little softer a blow, but still not good for either team.

I can say that our girls felt good giving CDA a 6-0 loss to remember after the score they put up on the rockstars the night before.

As far as the tournament went, I already whined and bitched enough on here before we even went there, but I will add that them putting this team in our bracket made it basically a trip to Las Vegas for 2 games, and not being able to check out early because we still had to show up for a night game vs. the rockstars in hopes that Sting would lose. Pretty bad taste left in our whole clubs mouth.

Kicks, texans, and lfc play the most posession soccer in ntx imho. Kicks v blues should be a good game!
we really enjoyed watching Sting West 05G, we saw them play FCD JDL Red and they dominated the game. I believe one goal was a PK and one was a good slice and dice. The Sting team pressed really hard and was all over them but could not put it in back of the net. In my opinion the best final would have been Kicks and Sting West. Beautiful soccer from those two teams.

We got to play this team. Felt bad for the girls on the other side. The fault is 100% on the tournament directors. The team may have already been spent by the time we played them, but they showed up 15 minutes before game time (all our parents thought it was going to be a forfeit), they started the game one player short, they did not have matching uniforms, at least one of the girls was 9 years old at the most (looked like 8). I understand that Ajax dropping out last second was a curve ball, but they could have moved a team from the silver elite bracket up. No offense to the girls as I know they tried their best, but this team was not even at AYSO level and should not have been put through the beatings they got. As far as scores go, I was shocked when I seen 18-0, but we were scoring even when the coach made us connect a said number of passes before shooting or using players that only play defense up front. There was little that could be done about putting in a ton of goals when a game is this lopsided. We only got 13, so I felt that was a little softer a blow, but still not good for either team.

I can say that our girls felt good giving CDA a 6-0 loss to remember after the score they put up on the rockstars the night before.

As far as the tournament went, I already whined and bitched enough on here before we even went there, but I will add that them putting this team in our bracket made it basically a trip to Las Vegas for 2 games, and not being able to check out early because we still had to show up for a night game vs. the rockstars in hopes that Sting would lose. Pretty bad taste left in our whole clubs mouth.
We also played them.....our girls got nothing from that. We didn't want to run the score up....but we weren't sure how the tie breakers worked. So we matched CDA's score. Our Sunday night game against CDA was a mess.....game started 45 minutes late. They stopped the game for over 30 minutes at halftime to have a PK shootout for a unfinished U14 game on our field....it sucked for both teams little girls sitting in the cold waiting to finish their game.

We also played them.....our girls got nothing from that. We didn't want to run the score up....but we weren't sure how the tie breakers worked. So we matched CDA's score. Our Sunday night game against CDA was a mess.....game started 45 minutes late. They stopped the game for over 30 minutes at halftime to have a PK shootout for a unfinished U14 game on our field....it sucked for both teams little girls sitting in the cold waiting to finish their game.

Wow! I've never personally been to Vegas Cup, but was always wanting to go. I've heard so many bad things about it!!!

Here's the deal with Vegas cup (in my humble opinion) -
If you are going with the hope of a great "soccer" weekend, don't go. Maybe the top flights are great "soccer" worthy. If you are going as a fun travel tournament with a bit of soccer mixed in, go for it.
We played the last 3 years, but didn't go back this year. Years 1 and 2, we were 1-1-1 I believe, playing in the lowest flight. Year 3, we tried to play a bit out of our depth and got pounded in Flight 2.
In the first 2 years, our losses were to a team that had no business being in Flight 3 (or maybe it was even 4). In year 3, 2 of the teams seemed to be in the right place (we lost 2-0 and 3-0 I think). The 3rd team beat us silly. Maybe they belonged a bit higher up. But whatever.
This tournament is very expensive to enter. Very expensive to stay (with 3 night minimums and expensive touristy stuff to do). Their communication sucks. Their scheduling sucks (why do most teams have 1 game on Saturday and 2 on Sunday?) Their fligthing seems to be based on throwing darts at a board or trying to accommodate coaches that bring multiple team$$. Their good hotel options sell out quickly (even though you can to to hotels.com or direct to the hotel and still book a room at a similar or cheaper rate). And Vegas really isn't a kids town (I heard from a few friend that had the great idea to take their kids to Freemont Street at night.) They threaten you with cancelling your team if you don't book their hotels, yet they fill in holes with low level rec teams when there is room.

BUT - The kids seem to really love it. Most of them leave school early on a Friday. They either road trip in a caravan of friends or fly in. They are in awe of the city. They love the restaurants, the shops, the hotels and they usually get to do a few meals a day with some of their closest friends. They like walking through the hotels in their uniforms with their backpacks. On top of that, the parents usually have a great time. When else could you plan a trip to a major tourist destination with 15+ other families and have things work out pretty smooth?

My daughters best friends team won 06 silver elite bracket and my daughter was basically like "cool.. but did u go to the M and M store?"...

We had fun last year, played Slammars, a not great team that I forgot and a decent Hawaii team.. and we spent over 3k for our family of 6.

Kinda glad we were in Norco this year!

Here's the deal with Vegas cup (in my humble opinion) -
If you are going with the hope of a great "soccer" weekend, don't go. Maybe the top flights are great "soccer" worthy. If you are going as a fun travel tournament with a bit of soccer mixed in, go for it.
We played the last 3 years, but didn't go back this year. Years 1 and 2, we were 1-1-1 I believe, playing in the lowest flight. Year 3, we tried to play a bit out of our depth and got pounded in Flight 2.
In the first 2 years, our losses were to a team that had no business being in Flight 3 (or maybe it was even 4). In year 3, 2 of the teams seemed to be in the right place (we lost 2-0 and 3-0 I think). The 3rd team beat us silly. Maybe they belonged a bit higher up. But whatever.
This tournament is very expensive to enter. Very expensive to stay (with 3 night minimums and expensive touristy stuff to do). Their communication sucks. Their scheduling sucks (why do most teams have 1 game on Saturday and 2 on Sunday?) Their fligthing seems to be based on throwing darts at a board or trying to accommodate coaches that bring multiple team$$. Their good hotel options sell out quickly (even though you can to to hotels.com or direct to the hotel and still book a room at a similar or cheaper rate). And Vegas really isn't a kids town (I heard from a few friend that had the great idea to take their kids to Freemont Street at night.) They threaten you with cancelling your team if you don't book their hotels, yet they fill in holes with low level rec teams when there is room.

BUT - The kids seem to really love it. Most of them leave school early on a Friday. They either road trip in a caravan of friends or fly in. They are in awe of the city. They love the restaurants, the shops, the hotels and they usually get to do a few meals a day with some of their closest friends. They like walking through the hotels in their uniforms with their backpacks. On top of that, the parents usually have a great time. When else could you plan a trip to a major tourist destination with 15+ other families and have things work out pretty smooth?

You're right....my daughter had a blast. She hasn't stopped talking about how much fun she had with her friends and the crazy stuff she saw on the strip(this might not be so good....:)). It was really hard on the parents though. It was super expensive, scheduling was crazy (Sunday night game and a 8:15 semi-final the next morning 40 minutes away from the hotel was fun...), tournament officials were unresponsive to problems(they couldn't seem to enter scores correctly) and this was a problem before the tournament as well trying to get answers to questions.

That's great re the first part. A real smack down.

Shame to hear about the rest of the tourney re organization and team(s) being put up there that were never going to be good enough. That's a long drive for it not to be valuable.

Finally a minute to talk about Vegas Cup. TX teams were huge and impressive for sure. Irvine Slammers beat two quality teams in NV's and Hawaii's top teams but didn't belong on the same field as Dallas Texans. They were bigger, faster, stronger than us. Proud of the girls non the less. Thought Blues would do better but TX smoked them. Irvine Slammers has National Cup and then breaking up with the entire team moving over to Newport for Pre ECNL and Reserve teams. Sad to see the team split but girls will have same coach in both and add a great coach in Coach Bull. Lots of talent on both teams. Good luck to all in National Cup!.

Finally a minute to talk about Vegas Cup. TX teams were huge and impressive for sure. Irvine Slammers beat two quality teams in NV's and Hawaii's top teams but didn't belong on the same field as Dallas Texans. They were bigger, faster, stronger than us. Proud of the girls non the less. Thought Blues would do better but TX smoked them. Irvine Slammers has National Cup and then breaking up with the entire team moving over to Newport for Pre ECNL and Reserve teams. Sad to see the team split but girls will have same coach in both and add a great coach in Coach Bull. Lots of talent on both teams. Good luck to all in National Cup!.
good assessment. Slammers team will be tough in national cup might be the dark horse to win it all. Blues will have to rebound after getting punched in the mouth in sin city. But the Tx girls were big and strong and deserved the cup

Back