Vegas Cup

I completely understand teams playing up in tournaments to get better competition, but this tournament seems fairly strong. Any reason Strikers decided to play up?

Nothing against Blues Draluck but aren't those Texas teams supposed to be pretty tough as well? And you can't ever count the Hawaii teams out either. Lots of good competition for sure!

Finally had a chance to take a good look at the team list - lots of good teams indeed! More than a few teams that showed well at Surf Cup and/or Blues Cup. Will be interesting to see how everyone has developed since the summer!

Anyone want to take a shot at predicting bracket winners?

Girls U12 Gold
Bracket A
Team 1 Team 2 Team 3 Team 4 Points Finish
001) AJAX UNITED 05G GREEN - - -
002) EAGLES EGSL - - -
003) STING WEST 05G - - -
004) CDA SLAMMERS FC CERRITOS G05 SEGOVIA - - -

Bracket B
001) SO CAL BLUES 05 DRALUCK - - -
002) KICKS SC DALLAS KICKS SELECAO 05 - - -
003) REBELS GOLD 2005 - - -
004) HOTSPURS USA HOTSPURS G2005 PREMIER - - -

Bracket C
001) DALLAS TEXANS 05G STH - - -
002) HEAT FC 05 RM - - -
003) IRVINE SLAMMERS FC GO5 - - -
004) HAWAII RUSH RUSH 05G - - -

Bracket D
001) CROSSFIRE PREMIER G2005-A - - -
002) FC DALLAS YOUTH FCD 05G JDL RED - - -
003) CDA SLAMMERS FC 2005 GATH - - -
004) ARSENAL FC SAN DIEGO GU12 ELITE - - -

How will playing a game at 9:30 am and 7:30 pm on Sunday impact brackets A and B?
That 7:30 game means you aren't likely to get back to your hotel until 9:30.
And then the semi finals are the next morning at 8:15.
Ouch.

How will playing a game at 9:30 am and 7:30 pm on Sunday impact brackets A and B?
That 7:30 game means you aren't likely to get back to your hotel until 9:30.
And then the semi finals are the next morning at 8:15.
Ouch.
Yeah, these make for some tough days. Just the 8+ hour break between games is tough to try and get the girls back out and focused for the second game. It's just part of the deal when you sign up for these things I guess.

As for predictions I will go with:
A) Eagles (Sting in second)
B) Kicks (Blues in second)
C) Texans (Hawaii in second)
D) FC Dallas (Crossfire in second)

Those are all just shots in the dark as I don't know enough about the out of state and Cal north teams. Just know from years past with my older daughter that the top Texas teams are crazy good and would not be surprised if they take 3 out of 4 brackets...

Yeah, these make for some tough days. Just the 8+ hour break between games is tough to try and get the girls back out and focused for the second game. It's just part of the deal when you sign up for these things I guess.

As for predictions I will go with:
A) Eagles (Sting in second)
B) Kicks (Blues in second)
C) Texans (Hawaii in second)
D) FC Dallas (Crossfire in second)

Those are all just shots in the dark as I don't know enough about the out of state and Cal north teams. Just know from years past with my older daughter that the top Texas teams are crazy good and would not be surprised if they take 3 out of 4 brackets...

Nothing against Crossfire (one of the top clubs in WA) but this team has been playing smaller field/9 (or is it 8?) players all season in RCL (WA equivalent of SCDSL). They struggled at Surf Thanksgiving Cup with the full field/11 players. I'd be surprised if they finished 2nd in the D bracket.

I have a feeling there might be some changes yet to come, Strikers 05 & 04 Black in top flight while Strikers 04 EGSL is in the 2nd flight.
05s Strikers now playing 04 lower bracket why not just play top bracket in 05s? I'm guessing coaching conflicts as CB is coaching both 04s and 05s.

Sure would like to hear what the wise Technician has to say on the matter!!
Or at least a short break down of the teams playing. ;)

Question (we aren't playing this weekend, but plenty of friends are)-
1. How is there still a TBD spot in the o5 silver Elite (11v11) bracket? And a TBD in Gold 9v9?
2. How are there 3 05 teams playing in 04 age groups? (Gold, Silver Elite, Bronze?)

I haven't looked at other divisions, but is this also the case in other groups? I suppose there could be errors in gotsoccer team information.
But - If I'm in the 05 Silver Elite Bracket in Bracket B, I've traveled to Vegas to play 2 local teams. Will they play a 3rd team?

This tournaments Scheduling has turned into a real nightmare.
The scheduling people should spend a few weekends at a so cal tournament to see how it should be done. Here is what our team is up against due to the scheduling people.
Sat: 1 game @ 12:45pm (no big deal, but why not give us 2 on Saturday)
Sun: game 1 @ 10:15am (just got word due to "frost delay" the fields will not open until 10:00)
game 2 @ 8:15pm (schedule still says 7:00, but we got an email saying it has been moved to 8:15)
Mon: game 1 @ 8:15am (Semi final if we advance)

My problem here is: If we know going into game 2 on Sunday that we cannot advance, it would be nice to drive home after the game, but with an 8:15 start time that is pushing the envelope on how late I really want to be up driving. Also, the first game Sunday we get 15 minutes to warm up. Also, If we advance to the Semi final on Monday, our girls will be riding on short sleep due to not getting back to the room till 10:00 the night before and needing to be at the field by 7:15 the next morning.

I hate to bitch about these kinds of things, and I know that we are not the only team with issues here. I just thought I would share this with some other people that may be up against similar issues, or thinking about doing this thing next year.

The fact of the matter is the girls just need to give it their best and have some fun along the way.

This tournaments Scheduling has turned into a real nightmare.
The scheduling people should spend a few weekends at a so cal tournament to see how it should be done. Here is what our team is up against due to the scheduling people.
Sat: 1 game @ 12:45pm (no big deal, but why not give us 2 on Saturday)
Sun: game 1 @ 10:15am (just got word due to "frost delay" the fields will not open until 10:00)
game 2 @ 8:15pm (schedule still says 7:00, but we got an email saying it has been moved to 8:15)
Mon: game 1 @ 8:15am (Semi final if we advance)

My problem here is: If we know going into game 2 on Sunday that we cannot advance, it would be nice to drive home after the game, but with an 8:15 start time that is pushing the envelope on how late I really want to be up driving. Also, the first game Sunday we get 15 minutes to warm up. Also, If we advance to the Semi final on Monday, our girls will be riding on short sleep due to not getting back to the room till 10:00 the night before and needing to be at the field by 7:15 the next morning.

I hate to bitch about these kinds of things, and I know that we are not the only team with issues here. I just thought I would share this with some other people that may be up against similar issues, or thinking about doing this thing next year.

The fact of the matter is the girls just need to give it their best and have some fun along the way.

This is why we decided to skip it this year. The last 3 years, we've had 1 game on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. With one of the Sunday games being late.
We certainly had fun- the players had a blast. The parents maybe had more fun

Question (we aren't playing this weekend, but plenty of friends are)-
1. How is there still a TBD spot in the o5 silver Elite (11v11) bracket? And a TBD in Gold 9v9?
2. How are there 3 05 teams playing in 04 age groups? (Gold, Silver Elite, Bronze?)

I haven't looked at other divisions, but is this also the case in other groups? I suppose there could be errors in gotsoccer team information.
But - If I'm in the 05 Silver Elite Bracket in Bracket B, I've traveled to Vegas to play 2 local teams. Will they play a 3rd team?
We happen to be playing the TBD team in 05 Silver Elite bracket. Finally told at check in that we are playing an LVSA team... we will see I guess when we show up in the morning.

Arsenal San Diego vs. Crossfire 1-1 tie. It was 54 degrees and windy. Our girls thought it was freezing cold. Pretty sure the Crossfire girls that it was balmy (it's been about 26 degrees in the greater Seattle area for the past month). ;)
Refs were letting a lot of fouls go uncalled (both teams). I really wish the refs would call at least some of them - I hate seeing the girls get hurt. :(
Brrr... 54 degrees! Our girls and parents would have died! Good luck to your team.

Back