USWNT

This is complete and utter bs.
My post was on the hypocrisy of yours

I’ll bow out of any more political discussions

Cheers

That was my goal.

I fully understand that most people are unwilling to accept that praising someone for homophobia is no more admirable or acceptable than praising someone for racism or for believing in different religion. But if I cause someone to at least stop doing it, great. Hopefully the homophobe Jaelene Hinkle will follow your lead.

Luckily, her personal choice is between her and God. I doubt either of them give a shit about you calling them homophobic. How is that for some perspective! Lol.

Luckily, her personal choice is between her and God. I doubt either of them give a shit about you calling them homophobic. How is that for some perspective! Lol.

I think what you meant is that she doesn’t give a shit that she is homophobic.

And her personal choice to be a bigot isn’t just between her and her god, since she made sure to let everyone know how she feels in her 700 Club interview. She also made her personal choice between her and US Soccer. And although US Soccer probably dumped her because she just isn’t good enough, I’m cool if they made the decision due to her lack of moral values.

That is not what I said but nice try. It puts your petty name calling into perspective. A perspective you fail to grasp. I am ok with that. Carry on.

That is not what I said but nice try. It puts your petty name calling into perspective. A perspective you fail to grasp. I am ok with that. Carry on.

Hello. I’m not sure someone who claims LGBT folk suffer from mental illness is the best person to take this position.

Joy Behar was right by the way. You have it backwards.

That was my goal.

I fully understand that most people are unwilling to accept that praising someone for homophobia is no more admirable or acceptable than praising someone for racism or for believing in different religion. But if I cause someone to at least stop doing it, great. Hopefully the homophobe Jaelene Hinkle will follow your lead.
you didn't stop anything. and your rhetoric is old and tired and trollish.

have a great tolerant day

you didn't stop anything. and your rhetoric is old and tired and trollish.

have a great tolerant day

People who hate don’t get a free pass on bigotry because their religion tells them it’s ok. I’m certainly not going to respect someone for stating a hateful opinion, just as you don’t respect my hateful opinion.

Now do you understand the purpose for the Joy Behar comment? Not because I believe it, but because it pretty clearly points out your hypocrisy. You think we should respect a bigot for stating her bigoty opinion, but you don’t need to respect mine. Where was your post saying that people can disagree with my opinion but we need to respect it?

In other words, like I said earlier, it isn’t the fact that she spoke up that you believe people must “respect”, it’s her hateful opinion.

Ironicallly, the god that she’s using to justify her bigoted stance is the same god that has been used by other bigots to justify their racism towards African Americans like her. A racist, homophobic god - just awesome!

The problem with this discussion is that it represents everything that is right and wrong with America. Its also steeped in religion, which makes it an argument that is unwinnable. The very existence of this forum is rooted in principals of free speech, which is inextricably intertwined with freedom to practice one's religion. We start to go off the rails with a person's religious practices impact the rights of others.

As a preliminary matter, I believe it would be best if our National Team refrained from engaging in any kind of extraneous advocacy unrelated primarily to soccer. Abide by the law, don't discriminate and play.

As I understand the player's decision, she chose not to wear a jersey that the National Team elected to wear to honor LGBTQ month. This jersey deviated from the typical red, white and blue by incorporating rainbow numbers and would be later auctioned off to raise money for LGBTQ charities.

The player refused to wear the jersey based on her religious beliefs. She did not state that her motivation was to not play with gay teammates, rather, she refused to support the extraneous advocacy of the National Team as contrary to her religious beliefs. The player has every right to make a personal choice to refuse to support the national team because the national team has chosen to openly advocate for a non-soccer related issue.

Sports are entertainment and from a national and international perspective we should endeavor to be an inclusive as possible. We should also refrain from attempting to use sports for political/social/religious advocacy beyond adhering to a policy of being intolerant against intolerance.

If a person truly understands the definition of Bigot, that person would understand that the use of hate speech and of a belief system with differing views from their own demonstrates Bigotry more than anything she has done. She merely chose to not WEAR a shirt that was in support of something that is not congruent with her belief system. She has NOT demonstrated intolerance and in fact has expressed love for all no matter what. The only person impacted by her actions was her. She plays and shows respect for teammates who believe otherwise on a regular basis and played with the National team prior tp declining the opportunity. If she refused to play and/or condemned players of the LGBTQ community with hateful words or actions, then she would be intolerant and a Bigot.
One main difference between the situation with Colin and the situation with Jaelene is that each football player with a different belief system was able to choose to kneel or not and still play the game they love. Jaelene did not have that choice.

I believe it would be best if our National Team refrained from engaging in any kind of extraneous advocacy unrelated primarily to soccer. Abide by the law, don't discriminate and play.
Boom! The ONLY colors any US national team should be wearing is red, white and blue. Everything else is just unnecessary noise. Did I mention, we're only here for the soccer?

If a person truly understands the definition of Bigot, that person would understand that the use of hate speech and of a belief system with differing views from their own demonstrates Bigotry more than anything she has done. She merely chose to not WEAR a shirt that was in support of something that is not congruent with her belief system. She has NOT demonstrated intolerance and in fact has expressed love for all no matter what. The only person impacted by her actions was her. She plays and shows respect for teammates who believe otherwise on a regular basis and played with the National team prior tp declining the opportunity. If she refused to play and/or condemned players of the LGBTQ community with hateful words or actions, then she would be intolerant and a Bigot.
One main difference between the situation with Colin and the situation with Jaelene is that each football player with a different belief system was able to choose to kneel or not and still play the game they love. Jaelene did not have that choice.

No you don’t get to make yourself feel better by saying anyone who doesn’t respect your bigotry is a bigot. It’s that simple. Wow, you people are getting pretty desperate.

The problem with this discussion is that it represents everything that is right and wrong with America. Its also steeped in religion, which makes it an argument that is unwinnable. The very existence of this forum is rooted in principals of free speech, which is inextricably intertwined with freedom to practice one's religion. We start to go off the rails with a person's religious practices impact the rights of others.

As a preliminary matter, I believe it would be best if our National Team refrained from engaging in any kind of extraneous advocacy unrelated primarily to soccer. Abide by the law, don't discriminate and play.

As I understand the player's decision, she chose not to wear a jersey that the National Team elected to wear to honor LGBTQ month. This jersey deviated from the typical red, white and blue by incorporating rainbow numbers and would be later auctioned off to raise money for LGBTQ charities.

The player refused to wear the jersey based on her religious beliefs. She did not state that her motivation was to not play with gay teammates, rather, she refused to support the extraneous advocacy of the National Team as contrary to her religious beliefs. The player has every right to make a personal choice to refuse to support the national team because the national team has chosen to openly advocate for a non-soccer related issue.

Sports are entertainment and from a national and international perspective we should endeavor to be an inclusive as possible. We should also refrain from attempting to use sports for political/social/religious advocacy beyond adhering to a policy of being intolerant against intolerance.

The belief that US Soccer should stay out of non-soccer issues is finally a legitimate point, more or less. It is certainly more so than the moron who thinks people must respect Hinkle’s homophobic opinion, especially when carefully timed to coincide with the start of gay pride month to make the most offensive possible impact on a show with a long and inglorious track record supporting oppression of gays, blacks, foreigners and pretty much every other group that god allegedly tells “racist grandpa” founder Pat Robertson to denigrate.

A couple counter-points. First, USSF is a private entity. As such, it has the same right to slap rainbow numbers on a jersey that In-n-Out has to put religious slogans on cups and Hobby Lobby to refuse birth control coverage on its health plan. I don’t think the government even funds US Soccer, so you can’t even claim tax dollars are being used to support a historically oppressed group. But religious oppressors don’t to go down that road anyway because....

Even if we US Soccer were a government entity by virtue of it being granted monopoly status, I guess I’m fine with not supporting LBGT causes as soon as the US Government stops supporting religious ones. We have a congressionally mandated national day of prayer, our tax dollars pay a congressional chaplain, allof our money specifically references god, our kids say the religious pledge of allegiance in public schools, and the Catholic Church alone has received more than $2 billion in taxpayer money since 2012. If the government is going to stop supporting oppressed minority groups, it should stop supporting the religions that oppress them.

Next, of course Hinkle has the right to decide that hating gay people is more important to her than playing on the WNT. But I don’t need to respect it, and the WNT certainly doesn’t need to either. If she wants to continue to publicly offend her employer, many of her co-workers, and a significant portion of the customer base a year after the fact, she gets she deserves. Like I said earlier, good riddance.

Finally, you’re wrong that I won’t “win” this argument. Certainly, my in-your-face approach will never change anyone’s mind. But the days in which bigoted people could make their bigoty positions publicly known without getting called out and shamed are over. Sure, they’ll still state them here because they can hide in cowardly anonymity, but constant reminders that people no longer put up with it means they sure aren’t going to discuss Hinkle the homophobe’s “bravery” in anything other than hushed tones (if at all) at work, on the soccer sidelines, or anywhere other than their homes and steepled houses of bigotry. In fact, I’m just cleaning up the remnants of a battle I’ve already won. A generation ago, people used religious bigotry to prevent a black man from marrying a white woman and from eating BBQ in Alabama. Now, that same black man can marry a white dude and eat ribs anywhere he wants. And the WNT can therefore dump you for not representing American values.

Uh, Kaepernick was blackballed as a result and therefore deprived of his ability to play the sport he loved. Going forward, anyone who follows his lead will be fined to the point that they cannot either.

Hinkle, in the other hand, gets to keep playing the sport she loves, just not on the WNT. Interestingly, Rapinoe had the same difficult choice as Hinkle, which is she doesn’t get to play on the WNT either if she continued taking a knee. In response to her choice, you don’t see Rapinoe dropping out and telling Christians how they’re second-class citizens on Easter Sunday. Unlike Hinkle, Rapinoe has some character.

Go ahead and continue the anti-gay agenda folks, but it’s a lost cause. Even the US Supreme Court today couldn’t muster the homophobia necessary to endorse homophobic cake makers refusing to sell wedding cakes to gays. You’re a just gonna have to wait for the apocalypse now.

Back