Turning Pro at 10?

In the commercial, she is a kid in street clothes who is basically dragged around a soccer field and, while she kicks a ball at the end, she isn't really portrayed as a soccer player or playing the sport. But I am no expert.
Anyone know the backstory?
How was she selected? Has she done other acting work?
Did Nike call her club and say “we are doing a World Cup commercial, send us a 9 year old?”

It appears that she’s done other modeling jobs, but she has an extensive and carefully crafted Instagram profile that positions her primarily as an athlete and focuses on her athletic abilities.

Her social media profile arguably rivals that of many professional athletes and markets herself as a soccer player.

You are getting paid for an “acting” gig, not to participate in a sanctioned competition or league so you are not considered a professional athlete

Professional athlete does not necessarily mean you’re getting paid to play - but getting paid because of who you are.

For example, college athletes who sell their own clothing line or get paid to endorse a brand are considered professionals and lose their eligibility.

The rules evolve over time
Professional athlete does not necessarily mean you’re getting paid to play - but getting paid because of who you are.

For example, college athletes who sell their own clothing line or get paid to endorse a brand are considered professionals and lose their eligibility.

She got paid for acting. As for who she is - no one knew about her before the ad.

I showed these commercials to my 9 year old daughter. She says " I don't get it". To me, her answer confirms that we are making huge progress with women's soccer.
I had to explain that 20 years ago, that was just a dream and none of this existed. I told her that we have come a long way to see how popular this sport has become at a global level for women.

She finally understood why I was excited about these commercials.

I have to say that Nike got it right with these commercials. Let's hope that the TV rankings are good for this World Cup.

If I'm being honest, these commercials lack creativity and cleverness. Kids dreaming to become pro and running around with their idols. Yawn. Seen it 100x. This one was and still is one of my faves:

since they are featuring this new commercial with the younger star does that mean they have already lost interest with OM? Has she been passed over already by a younger version? I'm honestly not impressed with the commercials, I find them odd and tired.

since they are featuring this new commercial with the younger star does that mean they have already lost interest with OM? Has she been passed over already by a younger version? I'm honestly not impressed with the commercials, I find them odd and tired.
These are not interesting. I agree. Kinda like watching the Hallmark Channel. The videos being put out are blah. This is one of my favorite soccer videos and not a World Cup one.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=sean+garnier+old+man&form=APIPH1&PC=APPL

Last edited:

Filming commercials has nothing to do with soccer skill. It all has to do with looks. These other girls are just more marketable.

Back