Turning Pro at 10?

Working on commercials, movies, tv, video or media now as a minor doesn't necessarily mean student's have to give up college egilibity.

With a work permit many public schools will accommodate if you keep the grades up, follow the hours rules, etc. Trust fund and other things can be used

Working on commercials, movies, tv, video or media now as a minor doesn't necessarily mean student's have to give up college egilibity.

With a work permit many public schools will accommodate if you keep the grades up, follow the hours rules, etc.

Hmm... getting compensation/sponsorship for your soccer talent doesn't disqualify you from NCAA eligibility? If she's doing it completely for free, that's one thing, but if she's getting paid, I'm pretty sure that's a violation, no? I thought potential college athletes can't even accept free gear to wear?

Hmm... getting compensation/sponsorship for your soccer talent doesn't disqualify you from NCAA eligibility? If she's doing it completely for free, that's one thing, but if she's getting paid, I'm pretty sure that's a violation, no? I thought potential college athletes can't even accept free gear to wear?

Getting compensation for acting is not the same as getting paid to play a sport on a professional team

Getting compensation for acting is not the same as getting paid to play a sport on a professional team

Thanks for the post, I always found the rules on this a bit vague, but did just come across this article that supports what you're saying... (Not that CBS sports is the end all be all)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...get-paid-and-remain-eligible-for-their-sport/

If that's the case, kudos to that kid, super cool gig!

Of course, I wonder where the NCAA draws the line between her getting gigs for being the soccer player she is (she's actually pretty good) vs because she's a model... perhaps it's how much she gets paid - commensurate w/model experience vs youth athlete rates...?

Soccer talent? Did she even touch the ball?

What about a kid that does other commercial work for Nike (or any other sporting company). I know a kid on a DA team that has done some Nike running commercials.

You are getting paid for an “acting” gig, not to participate in a sanctioned competition or league so you are not considered a professional athlete

You are getting paid for an “acting” gig, not to participate in a sanctioned competition or league so you are not considered a professional athlete

You may be surprised to find out how many NCAA rules there are. My son got cited for sleeping on the couch in the team captain's off-campus apartment for a few days before his official reporting date.

You may be surprised to find out how many NCAA rules there are. My son got cited for sleeping on the couch in the team captain's off-campus apartment for a few days before his official reporting date.
That’s receiving something for free....having an Acting Job is not.

NCAA amateurism rules (https://www.ncsasports.org/ncaa-eligibility-center/amateurism-rules)
The NCAA rules in this area are not easy to interpret. However more than 95 percent of recruits will not have a problem meeting the NCAA requirements. For athletes who have a nontraditional athletic history, here are the main points to look out for concerning your eligibility.

• Receiving compensation that exceeds actual and necessary expenses – The NCAA does allow athletes to receive some compensation as an amateur athlete, as long as the amounts do not exceed what are deemed actual and necessary expenses. Some athletes are asked to join travel teams in which their cost is covered by the team (this would be allowed). However, if an athlete is paid more than the travel costs, they could get into trouble.
  • Receiving compensation for media appearances based on your athletic ability or fame – The obvious rules violation is being paid appearance fees, but this can also include things like athletes with large YouTube followings where they are profiting from advertising dollars.
  • Endorsing (expressly or implicitly) commercial products or services – This is one of the more difficult areas to interpret. If the athlete is being paid in any way to wear a specific brand or promote a product, it would be considered a violation.
  • Accepting prize money beyond the actual/necessary expenses – It is not illegal for a potential NCAA athlete to have competed in professional competition. However, if they are eligible to win prize money, it cannot exceed the amount more than the necessary expenses. **There is an exception for tennis players, who are allowed to accept up to $10,000/year and still maintain eligibility.

Some additional clarifying questions:
  • Did/do you have a written or verbal agreement with an agent or agency? – Not all contracts with agents are illegal, but you should be extremely wary of signing an agreement and seek the advice of an NCAA expert before signing.
  • Have you or your family ever accepted any money from an agent or agency? – This is almost always a clear violation. You may be allowed to give the benefits back and be eligible but, to be safe, always avoid taking anything from an agent.
  • Have you ever been involved in an advertisement or promotion? – This rule can be difficult to interpret and you should consult an NCAA expert before agreeing to any promotions or advertisements.
  • Receiving compensation for media appearances (radio, television, etc.) that exploit your athletic ability or fame?

• Have you ever been involved in an advertisement or promotion? – This rule can be difficult to interpret and you should consult an NCAA expert before agreeing to any promotions or advertisements.

This is what I was concerned about - if she was just a model and not a player, it’d be obviously fine. But this is a high level player who is helping to promote her sport and also helping to sell the unique Nike girls jersey... really curious what the official NCAA stance is on this...

This is what I was concerned about - if she was just a model and not a player, it’d be obviously fine. But this is a high level player who is helping to promote her sport and also helping to sell the unique Nike girls jersey... really curious what the official NCAA stance is on this...

You basically can't make money from your sport, either from playing it, or from commercials/endorsements. From the NCAA Website:

Can a college-bound student-athlete be paid for appearing in a commercial or receiving an endorsement?
College-bound and current student-athletes who want to compete at Division I and II schools need to preserve their eligibility by meeting NCAA amateurism requirements. If a college-bound student-athlete is paid for appearing in a commercial or receives an endorsement before he or she is accepted at an NCAA member school, his or her eligibility could be affected.

If the college-bound student-athlete was chosen for the commercial or other event for reasons other than athletic ability, he or she may be compensated. If the college-bound student-athlete was chosen to participate because of his or her athletic ability, he or she may not be paid. However, the prospective student-athlete may receive expenses related to the commercial event such as meals or lodging.

In the commercial, she is a kid in street clothes who is basically dragged around a soccer field and, while she kicks a ball at the end, she isn't really portrayed as a soccer player or playing the sport. But I am no expert.

Anyone know the backstory?
How was she selected? Has she done other acting work?
Did Nike call her club and say “we are doing a World Cup commercial, send us a 9 year old?”

Back