Training question

Two quick things to your response:
1) its imperative that she leans to dribble running full speed with the ball very close to her feet,
2) the reason she is more accurate with her left is probably because she's not trying to kick it as hard as her right. In other words, in her right kicks, she may be trying to use too much power in striking the ball, and losing accuracy (spin/no spin on the ball too but that's a whole another subject).

As for money grab, it the coach is insisting on you using one of his buddies or someone in the club, then you might be right (it is club soccer after all....). But if its just go get it done somewhere by someone, probably not.
Thanks Mirage I agree about the dribbling. She counts on her speed a lot. She's fast so she kicks the ball too far ahead IMO and then chases it down. You're probably right about the right kick too. She goes to a striker training which I hope will help with these issues. I love the input! And he did hand out business cards for the teams trainer after the evals ;)

Like I said I have no issue with privates etc and the only thing coach put for my kid was footskills with left. Ironically she shot her last 4 goals with her left. Ha. I just thought it was odd that this was advised to the majority of the team. At least 75% of them.
My kid's had that same input from a coach despite the fact that she can use both feet equally. LOL, cut and paste...

I do my rankings on the following :
Technical- passing; receiving; dribbling; shooting/finishing; heading; defending
Tactical- reading the game; decisions with the ball; decisions without the ball; understanding team play; understanding role/position
Physical- strength; speed; mobility; fitness
Game performance- attitude; consistency; intensity; aggressiveness; versatility; focus
Mental- attitude; focus; determination; passion; competitiveness; coachability
Training- attitude; effort; focus
Each topic gets a score of 1-5. Total possible of 155.
Scale:
1= needs significant work
2= below age and competition level expectations
3= at level of age and expectations
4= above level
5= Excellent

And then, I write a few lines of specifics strenghts, opportunities and what to work on.

I send each parent a blank eval form. I ask them to have their kid fill it out on themselves before they see mine. I tell them that if there are any discrepancies, we should set up a discussion right away.
I like to deliver them in person, but I am on crazy business travel this week and next. Only coming home from Friday-Sunday. So I sent them via email. Not ideal, but I didn't want to wait.

This is for 04/05 players. I don't do evals for my 07 team.

I do my rankings on the following :
Technical- passing; receiving; dribbling; shooting/finishing; heading; defending
Tactical- reading the game; decisions with the ball; decisions without the ball; understanding team play; understanding role/position
Physical- strength; speed; mobility; fitness
Game performance- attitude; consistency; intensity; aggressiveness; versatility; focus
Mental- attitude; focus; determination; passion; competitiveness; coachability
Training- attitude; effort; focus
Each topic gets a score of 1-5. Total possible of 155.
Scale:
1= needs significant work
2= below age and competition level expectations
3= at level of age and expectations
4= above level
5= Excellent

And then, I write a few lines of specifics strenghts, opportunities and what to work on.

I send each parent a blank eval form. I ask them to have their kid fill it out on themselves before they see mine. I tell them that if there are any discrepancies, we should set up a discussion right away.
I like to deliver them in person, but I am on crazy business travel this week and next. Only coming home from Friday-Sunday. So I sent them via email. Not ideal, but I didn't want to wait.

This is for 04/05 players. I don't do evals for my 07 team.
That's pretty comprehensive! Impressive. Hers was not quite so detailed. A couple of checkmarks in boxes and a few notes ;) But I'm happy to get feedback from the coach and my daughter likes it bc it feels official to her.

If you are paying $ for your kid to play then you/your kid are serious about playing soccer otherwise your kid would be playing rec. So why would you think that practicing 2x a week, like rec, is enough? Adding privates is/was huge for our kids. Even playing futsal or indoor, pickup games helps. JMO.

My daughter has to make a choice for December. Play basketball while playing club soccer, or take a private keeper class once a week and leave Fridays open for Futsal. Currently leaning towards privates and futsal.

I find it amazing that with just two practices a week, some parents still manage to not bring their kid to every practice.

If she hasn't played basketball before, I say "do it".
She has played 3 seasons. 1 all girls, two coed. I've actually seen some of her basketball skills come into play on the soccer field. Best example was a shot off the top crossbar that she turned around on immediately, hands up, and rebounded before it hit the ground.

I will say watching basketball is a bit claustrophobic after watching so much soccer lately. Plus basketball parents are so much worse than soccer parents. Constant complaints about the referees, yelling at kids, etc. Even with all that, I think it would be good for one more basketball season, but my wife isn't agreeing, so won't try and convince the daughter.

She has played 3 seasons. 1 all girls, two coed. I've actually seen some of her basketball skills come into play on the soccer field. Best example was a shot off the top crossbar that she turned around on immediately, hands up, and rebounded before it hit the ground.

I will say watching basketball is a bit claustrophobic after watching so much soccer lately. Plus basketball parents are so much worse than soccer parents. Constant complaints about the referees, yelling at kids, etc. Even with all that, I think it would be good for one more basketball season, but my wife isn't agreeing, so won't try and convince the daughter.

How old is she?

It is strange how girls basketball is such an afterthought in So Cal. I grew up in Michigan and all of the athletic girls play hoops in the winter. Some still play indoor soccer.
Seems that soccer and volleyball really dominate in So Cal. I've made my girls give basketball a shot.

Our coach has also done evals in the past, pretty detailed and similar to timbuck's evals. Weaknesses and strengths, with the recommendation to work on the weaknesses but without any kind of requirement to seek outside training. When asked about how DD could improve on certain things, he recommended simple things like wall ball and at this age just "spending more time on the ball." He would mention additional training, but with no obligation. Over time though it's become clear that the girls that do the most outside training and do the small things at home have improved the most and are the most consistent; they also happen to be the ones that seem to have the greater desire and drive to pursue soccer later in life, but of course that could all change.

In my mind, other sports like mentioned above count as "extra training" and her coach encourages it as long as it doesn't conflict with too many games. Mine is an 05 and has played basketball concurrently with soccer since she was in 2nd grade. It's great cross training and the tactics complement each other since her soccer team plays a short passing game (think Steve Nash). It's fun for us as parents because we grew up watching basketball. For her it's fun because she's been with the same team for 4 years and has found that it's easier to find a pick up game of basketball at school than it is for soccer. Also, she puts no pressure on herself because she has no future basketball aspirations. Unfortunately though, her only 2 sports-related injuries (not major, just bruises and sprains) have come from basketball.

It is strange how girls basketball is such an afterthought in So Cal. I grew up in Michigan and all of the athletic girls play hoops in the winter. Some still play indoor soccer.
Seems that soccer and volleyball really dominate in So Cal. I've made my girls give basketball a shot.

I think it's because it's difficult to find organized basketball, especially at the younger ages. City leagues are kind of so-so in terms of quality, NJB is kind of sporadic in terms of location. And unless you live near an indoor sports complex like Next Level in Garden Grove, there just aren't many well-coordinated leagues. Most kids (girls, at least) don't start thinking about basketball until they find out their middle school has a team.

Unfortunately though, her only 2 sports-related injuries (not major, just bruises and sprains) have come from basketball.
Oh so true. I love it, but basketball is by far worst sport on your body. Football and soccer may have concussion issues, but ER and Urgent Care doctors will tell you playing basketball causes way more injuries. I know this also, unfortunately, from personal experience.

Oh so true. I love it, but basketball is by far worst sport on your body. Football and soccer may have concussion issues, but ER and Urgent Care doctors will tell you playing basketball causes way more injuries. I know this also, unfortunately, from personal experience.

Ya, that part sucks. The first was from a hard foul on the playground playing against a boy who has never played organized ball so didn't really know how to control his strength--shoved in the back, hit the blacktop with her knee. Second was kind of an ankle thing that had to do with the fact that she has flat feet. Her soccer coach has said she doesn't seem to get injured despite taking hits because she "goes in strong." Not sure if that's true, that the player that goes in less strong is the one that ends up down. To my DD's benefit so far, she's been that kid ever since she was a baby that looks slim but when you try to pick her up she's super solid with heavy bones haha.

It's totally natural for a coach to have a moneymaking motive when recommending private training. It's our job as parents to decide if it fits our goals, budget, time, how much their body can handle, etc. In terms of getting better, there're always things to work on. Take striking the ball for example, you can work on driving, chipping, curving with inside and outside of the foot, body positioning, planting foot, the right part of the foot, properly weight of the pass or shot, accuracy, weak foot, doing it at full speed, under pressure, with a defender on your back possibly pushing you, doing it exactly the way you want to after dashing for 20 yards, etc. Extra touches under guidance always help, and your biggest concern as a parent should be over use. I train my kid myself for the most part, but sometimes a different voice is more effective.

Does your club require players to seek outside training/privates? This was the subject of discussion at our team meeting. Coaches stance is that if he has addressed an area of weakness for a player and they are not improving, he highly recommends they seek 'extra' help. He just issued the girls evaluations. Many girls had endurance, accuracy, footskills etc. I'm thinking if the girls need to seek extra help for these issues what on earth are they doing at practice? I'm not against using a trainer and we have had privates before but this was the majority of the team he had evaluated as needing extra help. Is this the norm and I just don't know it?
A good coach adjust his or her training exercises and drill to help those kids. Your paying over $1500 for club dues.

Some coaches start practice with drills and then move on to team practice. At the end they would end with 1v1. It all depends on the coaches.

If you are paying $ for your kid to play then you/your kid are serious about playing soccer otherwise your kid would be playing rec. So why would you think that practicing 2x a week, like rec, is enough? Adding privates is/was huge for our kids. Even playing futsal or indoor, pickup games helps. JMO.

Depends on how old the kid is. Some people play competitively because a 3 month rec season isn't long enough for a kid who likes soccer and that's it. And most kids play futsal, or indoor, or arena, or street, or at school, or on their own, and also do other sports at some point in the year. An hour extra a week feels nice and can certainly help with some skills, but really, it's not going to make your kid a player he/she wouldn't eventually become anyway. And down time is good for growing kids - too many burn out or suffer repetitive use injuries way before their time.

Depends on how old the kid is. Some people play competitively because a 3 month rec season isn't long enough for a kid who likes soccer and that's it. And most kids play futsal, or indoor, or arena, or street, or at school, or on their own, and also do other sports at some point in the year. An hour extra a week feels nice and can certainly help with some skills, but really, it's not going to make your kid a player he/she wouldn't eventually become anyway. And down time is good for growing kids - too many burn out or suffer repetitive use injuries way before their time.
I can only speak from experience. Four kids, all played/play club and I can count on one hand how many of their teammates played indoor,futsal or street. Down time is great and so is playing other sports, especially for an 8 year old. As far as rec being 3 months long, my 3 oldest played Fall and Spring rec prior to playing club. Having your kids train with a private trainer is as important as having the right coach for your kid. It can turn a good player and turn them into an even better player. This goes for any sport.

From experience 3 months with a trainer(the whole team was using him on Saturdays) helped my daughter, who had played less than a year, catch up to the rest of her Extra team last year, with most of them playing 3-5 years. Her problem when she plays the field is that she isn't aggressive enough, which is funny in that when she plays keeper she has no problems with contact, attacking loose balls, etc. Weird.

Back