Too much yelling?

At what point as a parent should you decide to switch your child to a new team. I Have a situation where the team is losing every week (playing above our level). Coach is yelling every week at the kids asking them to play harder. As a parent, I am fine for kids to get yelled when they are not playing well or making mistakes. The problem that I have is that it's happening every week. The coach yells and also threatens that kids (my child) will be benched, dropped, etc.
The main problem is that we are a flight 2 team playing at flight 1 level (per coach decision).

Not sure what to do on this one. I am trying to teach my child that everyone yells and they need to deal with it. I don't really believe in this type of behavior as eventually the kids will just here noise and not want to play soccer. We worked so hard (several years) to make it to club and now I am regretting my decision to push them to club.

Should I start looking at a new team now or suck it up and wait until the end of the season. Any advice?

That stinks ... makes for difficult car rides home for you and your child.

You didn't mention the age, which will make some difference in the answer. But if it's my 11 y.o., no way we stick with a coach like this. "Everyone" does not yell. Our family's POV is our son's coach's approach and demeanor is more important than the club, flight, or circuit he's in as this will be a role model for him in treating others. (But he's not pushing to make an Academy team.) I witnessed a Beach coach who was borderline abusive in criticizing his 12U boys after a tournament game loss. Couldn't imagine serving up my son to a season of that as a parent.

So what are your options? Are other parents also upset about this? A club we were at brought in a coach with a complete team, and this coach was abusive to officials and others, just an embarrassment. But the team's parents seemed to be fine with it, and they won games.

Best answer I'd offer is stick it out. If it's a big club, you could talk to the DOC about moving to another team and flight right now. Or at your games now identify which coaches your child plays that you "like" how they run games and begin dialogues with them or their parents - ask about their clubs and opportunities for the future. If you don't like how your coach acts during the games, odds are the opposing parents and coaches won't like him either and will lend you a sympathetic ear.

Hopefully others with more experience with this will weigh in.

IMHO, I would not allow my dd to play for a coach that is always yelling at the players. I think that every coach is going to have moments where yelling is needed to get their point across, but after a while, the kids tune them out.

Is your player learning (developing) with this coach and this team? Is your player getting more of the "abuse" than the other players? What are the other parents saying/doing about this?

What age group is your player at? This attitude/behavior may kill the passion for soccer your player has.

I believe you've answered your own question. You do not find the coach behavior acceptable to you; therefore, the only choice is to move.

Since everyone has different threshold of what is acceptable, and what is not, from any given coach, its not a question that anyone but you can determine for your own kid.

Btw, not all coaches are constant yellers. My older kid's coach doesn't yell and if he does, its a shocking exception when he does. My younger kid's coach yells often but to be heard on the field for instructions during the games (most kids don't hear across the field) - things like "what do you see?", "where are your options?" and "take responsibility for your actions".

As for changing now, your option is limited. I would wait until the end of the season or deal with putting your kid in some rec league now and leaving the club. There's always an option to talk to DOC and the coach but it is most likely that the DOC will protect his own coaches for something like this.

Positioning is the number one reason our coach yells. The problem might be he doesn't yell loud enough. Many times the girls don't hear, being 50 yards away. If the parents are on the same side as the coach, it could sound loud when it really isn't.

I'm a yeller for the AYSO GU12 team I coach, mostly positioning, options that they have, etc. I'm constantly checking with the parents to make sure I'm not out of line, plus my wife keeps me in line. I know I was a bit over the top in the first 10 minutes of our previous game as the girls had zero energy( as if I could light a fire under them). They did come alive after the first substitution after a brief talk.

I would think the older they get and the more experienced would lead to less and less in game corrections.

What age?
What is he yelling? Instructions? Criticism? Encouragement?
I have a booming voice that can be pretty loud. As a coach, I've learned to chill out over the years. I used to be much too vocal. How experienced is your coach at coach? (I've found some coaches were/are great players. But that doesn't mean they know how to coach kids).
Does your kid listen to what he is being told? Or is the coach constantly reminding him of the same thing? (I have a few of those players on my current team.)

At what point as a parent should you decide to switch your child to a new team. I Have a situation where the team is losing every week (playing above our level). Coach is yelling every week at the kids asking them to play harder. As a parent, I am fine for kids to get yelled when they are not playing well or making mistakes. The problem that I have is that it's happening every week. The coach yells and also threatens that kids (my child) will be benched, dropped, etc.
The main problem is that we are a flight 2 team playing at flight 1 level (per coach decision).

Not sure what to do on this one. I am trying to teach my child that everyone yells and they need to deal with it. I don't really believe in this type of behavior as eventually the kids will just here noise and not want to play soccer. We worked so hard (several years) to make it to club and now I am regretting my decision to push them to club.

Should I start looking at a new team now or suck it up and wait until the end of the season. Any advice?

You should speak to the coach. If you find that to be an uncomfortable thought, you may have answered your own question - get out now.

If you speak to the coach and you don't see anything change, go to the DOC and maybe the Club President or Board.

Of course, if the Coach, DOC, and President are all the same person, and the Board is made up of his children and in-laws - good luck.

You should approach the coach and ask him what is being done (not being done) during the training sessions that requires him to coach so much during matches. Coach instruction during a match is a balancing act - you don't want a coach that is silent and you don't want a coach joy sticking. It is up to you to decide what is acceptable and what isn't. My experience tells me that coaches who's training sessions are unorganized and not focused tend to be the ones that yell during a match.

My opinion of this, which I expressed to my daughter's first (inexperienced) club coach, is that coaches (adults/leaders) should concentrate on loudly verbalizing praise, and privately verbalizing criticism. This goes for parents, too!! No 11 year old wants to be criticized in public. It is sad to see a kid make a mistake and meekly look over to the sideline in anticipation of someone yelling to them what they should have done.

Another thing that I would point out is some coaches yell a question like "Why kick it?" too often. Most often there isn't a "why", and they aren't expecting the answer anyways. Instead, say "Why not take the ball into space" or something like that.

The more you yell, the less it works. Coaching should be done in advance of games. Game time is reminder time. Short phrases and comments should suffice for that.

The most ironic thing I hear on the field is a coach constantly yelling "communicate".

The coach yells and also threatens that kids (my child) will be benched, dropped, etc.

This is completely counterproductive. Kids will only be afraid of making a mistake and will be reluctant to be creative and make their own decisions, which is the antithesis of soccer development.

We had a similar situation last year and stuck it out and finished the year. As long as your kid is not petrified to go to practices and games it might turn out to be a learning experience that will be useful later in life.

What does your child think? Does the yelling bother them? We've had a yelled for a coach before, I would literally sit way down the field from him bc he was so loud. But it didn't phase my daughter one bit. She liked him. So is it your feeling or your childs? I think each kid is unique in what they need. Threatening to bench etc is exactly what our old team needed. But it was more like if you don't bust your butt out there there are a dozen girls behind you that want your spot on that field. I was okay with that. It falls in line with my own thinking, lose or win I don't care, make a goal or don't but come off that field head held high that you played your best and tried your hardest. If it didnt work well guess what we do it all again next week. So find out what exactly he's saying, why are the losing (lack of effort, etc?) And how your child feels. And realistically there are only about 10 weeks of season left...tryouts will be here again before you know it.

Not every coach yells. Your DD should not have to learn to deal with yelling especially if it is an negative as you say. My DD played for 4 coaches from U12 to U19. Two of those coaches were negative yellers, one was a directive yeller but if a directive way, and one would say very little to the players and provide them with guidance once they came out of the game or after the game. DD absolutely hated the two negative yellers and walked out of a practice at U13 and told me she was done and not going back. I had her with another coach, directive yeller, within a week. Good coach. The next coach was another negative yeller and she left that team as soon as the fall season ended. Then she got on a team with the coach that was positive which she responded and improved greatly. Her current college coach is positive and says very little during the game and gives the players feedback when they come off the field or at practice. DD says she will never play for a coach that yells again.

So, my advice. Get you kid out of that toxic situation as soon as the fall season ends and the transfer window opens. Check with the league to determine the date.

In a thread I posted earlier, someone said a kid should have several coaches when they are young. Maybe it's true. But don't leave a good situation for the unknown. Know what works for your kid.

A good coach doesn't threaten during games or shortly after games. I good coach will take moments during games to provide timely instruction when the player will hear it (short stoppage) - often this is loud, perhaps yelling, but you can tell they are just conveying a message. A good coach doesn't threaten benching, he/she takes a player out and talks to them about what they did wrong so they understand why they were taken out and can change it during the next time they are in.

Some great advice above. If in large club try to move. Tough to move to rec league, but could be an option. Definitely talk to coaches/parents of other teams you play that are near you. If you don't play some club teams that are close by, search out their games and watch the coach, meet parents and find out if you like it. Develop relationships and as soon as the season is over, start practicing with those other teams before tryouts start.

Good luck!

I've seen this a lot - particularly with 2nd teams playing tier 1. If a coach handles it well, it can still be a good season, but if they resort to yelling it kills the fun. I've seen plenty of kids just walk away after a season like that. Since we're almost in October, I'd say ride it for the rest of league and split.

Since you say the team is playing at the wrong level, can your team try to find a friendly or 2 against teams that are the right level?
Maybe then he/you/the team will see how much improvement there has been by playing out of your comfort zone.

The problem here from what I gather is not one of yelling but of a charlatan pretending to be a coach. I would not have my kid within fifty miles of this pretender even if he didn't yell.

Sounds like you have a coach focused on wining and not developing. I'm in the same situation except we are a c team playing the lowest bracket. Our tryouts are in January. If this coach is staying with the team then I'm out. I hate to leave the club but again it all depends on this coach if he's keeping the team or not. Ugh I truly hope he doesn't.

Back