Surf Thanksgiving

Not that I'm trying to persuade Surf teams to play at Silver Lakes next year but 04's have 35 min halves and 5 Zamboni movers came at half time and mowed our field and finished within the 5 min half break. Grass smooth as ice after. Kind of weird but took all those nasty grass lumps out. I think the tourney folks are trying to set a new standard. Was a very nice atmosphere. Surf Tourney better step up their game and play time or more teams are going to move.
I took a picture of the "grass zambonies" but can't upload it. First time I've ever seen anything like it.

Semi's are determined...
Arsenal/Beach SB
LAGSD/Surf <- game to watch!!!

Hope the weather doesn't spoil the fun.....

Anyone want to entertain us with some commentary from the day?

Weather was brutal for the quarterfinal games. LAGSD weathered the storm. No pun intended. Sideways rain, crazy wind. Held off CO Storm in the first half against it all. Felt like we played downhill in the second half. Proud of these girls who continue to miss three starters and work through adversity. Tomorrow should be fun. I wouldn't want to play against this team right now.

Semi's are determined...
Arsenal/Beach SB
LAGSD/Surf <- game to watch!!!

Hope the weather doesn't spoil the fun.....

Anyone want to entertain us with some commentary from the day?
Saw more than a few games past 2 days.

Arsenal looks like Arsenal but is missing their best player, a few of their games have been closer than expected. They adjusted well, had to push their lines up together in unison and not just rely on 1 striker.

Was very impressed by Beach SB and the tenacity of that team. Was next to their game tying efforts versus Strikers OC. Beach SB is fiesty and plays like they have a fighter's chance.

Weather was brutal for the quarterfinal games. LAGSD weathered the storm. No pun intended. Sideways rain, crazy wind. Held off CO Storm in the first half against it all. Felt like we played downhill in the second half. Proud of these girls who continue to miss three starters and work through adversity. Tomorrow should be fun. I wouldn't want to play against this team right now.
Galaxy SD and their resiliency was a hot topic amongst the people I talked with, they've earned a ton respect for what the team has accomplished with dealing with all the adversity. Going to be a good one tomorrow!

Sounds like some great matches on the pitches at the Polo Fields...how did the parking lot handle the deluge?

Last edited:
Cali , the parking lot handled the rain like a champ. it got muddy and never complained. when it gets sunny it will be dirt again.

Inserting your comment here is a weak attempt on your part to promote the Silverlakes event.

Galaxy SD and their resiliency was a hot topic amongst the people I talked with, they've earned a ton respect for what the team has accomplished with dealing with all the adversity. Going to be a good one tomorrow!
Just curious, what adversity? Besides, missing a couple players.

Wow, the self-proclaimed champs went down cuatro - zero. The chest pumping should calm down for a while, thank goodness!
For all ages, I think LAGSD's soft league schedules kill their top teams as the season goes on. Everyone else is grinding in SCDSL and they're playing pretty much nobody for 10 weeks.

For all ages, I think LAGSD's soft league schedules kill their top teams as the season goes on. Everyone else is grinding in SCDSL and they're playing pretty much nobody for 10 weeks.
If you look at what this particular Galaxy SD team does, it was actually was a much needed "softer" series of games. They chase down all the top competition from SCDSL all summer and in CRL. With their injuries, playing in CSL did them well as it let them move players around. A big loss to Surf doesn't take away that they've been more than capable against all the "everybodies" the rest of the year.

If you look at what this particular Galaxy SD team does, it was actually was a much needed "softer" series of games. They chase down all the top competition from SCDSL all summer and in CRL. With their injuries, playing in CSL did them well as it let them move players around. A big loss to Surf doesn't take away that they've been more than capable against all the "everybodies" the rest of the year.
I'm not knocking this team - they're really good - but taking 10 weeks off for league doesn't do much to prep them for a long weekend like this. That they have to chase down their real competition over the summer is exactly what I am talking about. Who's better off after league - the teams that grind it out against each other or the team that plays basically nobody for 10 weeks? Same goes at the 2003 and 2005 levels - both lost in the quarters (and the 2005's only made it that far because they beat an Eagles team on Saturday morning that had already clinched the group and was tinkering with their line-up).

I'm not knocking this team - they're really good - but taking 10 weeks off for league doesn't do much to prep them for a long weekend like this. That they have to chase down their real competition over the summer is exactly what I am talking about. Who's better off after league - the teams that grind it out against each other or the team that plays basically nobody for 10 weeks? Same goes at the 2003 and 2005 levels - both lost in the quarters (and the 2005's only made it that far because they beat an Eagles team on Saturday morning that had already clinched the group and was tinkering with their line-up).
I would expect DA to change this landscape.

I would expect DA to change this landscape.
yes and no. DA will be separate all together so they sorta work themselves out of the discussion all together. But what will Galaxy's top non-DA team do then? At least at Surf, Blues etc. they have ECNL, EGSL and SCDSL to offer non-DA players. Shoot, even Express' top 2004 team plays SCDSL.

Back