• CO Storm

• Eagles

• LAGSD

• Placer United

• Strikers

• Surf EGSL

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
It seems like a lot of speculating right now with regards to the DA from everyone. Hopefully after the meetings in mid-December when all the DA clubs meet with US Soccer in Chicago, there will be a much clearer picture of what the plan is going forward. The one thing that I did hear is that the age groups 2004 and younger wont be playing high school soccer. The older age groups get grandfathered in as they are already in high school. It will be interesting to see how the ECNL/DA clubs navigate trying to play both leagues and which teams/league gets priority. Because at this point, I have not heard a logical plan from a current ECNL club to do both.

Many great 04 choose ECNL anyway because we have dual sport athletes and the commitment of a DA isn't logical in middle school for some families.

Many great 04 choose ECNL anyway because we have dual sport athletes and the commitment of a DA isn't logical in middle school for some families.
From a NorCal perspective... Our club, MVLA, did not apply for DA and neither did any other ECNL club in the area except DeAnza. In NorCal, DeAnza will be the only ECNL club that also has DA. A couple of weaker NorCal clubs got DA when ECNL clubs backed out. The speculation is that DeAnza will not have many competitive games with NorCal DA teams because of this. From everything I'm hearing, our MVLA 04 team will stay intact pretty much as it is.

This is very true. I know quite a few very good 04 players that aren't planning to tryout for DA. And a few that also aren't going to play ECNL. They want to play volleyball and/or basketball and study a bit.
This will be an interesting year (again).

Playing the devils advocate here..and honestly don't know the right answer but April H and the powers that be believe that a banded system is what works and improves players. It seems to me the problem isn't US soccer but rather clubs that are focused on winning by filling a DA team with all 03. A mandate for a percentage of 04 seems appropriate if they want to have their intentions enforced - you can't leave it up to the clubs because the win will always be the focus.

That being said I don't know the research about age pure vs banded. I don't know if it's better. I do know every article I have read about her focuses on how she believes in this system.
... Very strange then that we had to switch to Age Pure when we already had mixed (banded)age groups in the first place!

... Very strange then that we had to switch to Age Pure when we already had mixed (banded)age groups in the first place!
It's because the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
I'm sure someone at US Soccer said on a Monday "We are moving to birth year." His/her departments said "Cool. Let's do it. And let's announce it ASAP without consulting any clubs, coaches or parents that might care about this sort of thing. Everyone will love it!!!"
And then on Tuesday, some other jack wad said "We are going to start a girls development academy. Let's make it dual age banded." And his/her department said "Cool. Let's do it. Let's announce it right way without asking anybody for opinions."

Playing the devils advocate here..and honestly don't know the right answer but April H and the powers that be believe that a banded system is what works and improves players. It seems to me the problem isn't US soccer but rather clubs that are focused on winning by filling a DA team with all 03. A mandate for a percentage of 04 seems appropriate if they want to have their intentions enforced - you can't leave it up to the clubs because the win will always be the focus.

That being said I don't know the research about age pure vs banded. I don't know if it's better. I do know every article I have read about her focuses on how she believes in this system.

Multi-age banding works for the younger players because they get to practice with older bigger faster more-skilled players. It works for the older players because they get all the playing time.

Back