• CO Storm

• Eagles

• LAGSD

• Placer United

• Strikers

• Surf EGSL

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Surf wins becuz all the good teams are playing n Norco. Rumor is this team blowing up. Truth???
Every "good" team in this age group will be blowing up because of DA. As good as Surf's A team is, they won't all be making the DA cut. I'd look for half to move on, at least.

To some extent, remember you will have a handful of 04s per 03/04 DA.

No doubt. It is certainly dependent on the strength of the clubs but at least for a couple in San Diego I would expect anywhere from 1-3 girls that will play on the top DA team. There is also talk of a DA II team for the '04 age. There is a meeting in Chicago mid December for all DA clubs. We should know much more after that.

I personally feel the majority of the 04's will play ecnl next season and the 03/04 Da will be made up of all 03's? Any thoughts on this?
Only if there is an ECNL club in your area or if you are willing/able to drive the distances required to get to the nearest ECNL club.

I looked through the rules and can't find anywhere where it states that there must be a certain amount of 04 players on a DA team. I think a lot of people are in for a rude awakening since the majority of the 2004 players will not make DA. Unless your kid is a phenom or physically superior it will be tough for an 04 to get any playing time. Most of the ECNL/DA clubs are telling people the same thing. On the boys side at the U14 age they have their own age group and it doesn't go to 2 years until 15/16 and 17/18. Surprised they didn't copy the boys side.

I looked through the rules and can't find anywhere where it states that there must be a certain amount of 04 players on a DA team. I think a lot of people are in for a rude awakening since the majority of the 2004 players will not make DA. Unless your kid is a phenom or physically superior it will be tough for an 04 to get any playing time. Most of the ECNL/DA clubs are telling people the same thing. On the boys side at the U14 age they have their own age group and it doesn't go to 2 years until 15/16 and 17/18. Surprised they didn't copy the boys side.
Agreed. I like the structure of the boys DA. I am also surprised they didn't copy the boys side for the girls DA.

Every "good" team in this age group will be blowing up because of DA. As good as Surf's A team is, they won't all be making the DA cut. I'd look for half to move on, at least.
I am interested to see how the high school soccer season will impact DA? DA is allowing players to play high school and take a break from DA during this time. If the DA teams are made up of primarily 03's which are 9th graders and the entire team wants to play high school soccer, how does the DA team co-exist with the players they will be missing during the high school season? I don't see how both can co-exist together and be successful? Will a coach be able to say NO to high school soccer to keep the DA intact? Will they bring an entire new pool of 04 players (8th graders) to DA while the high school players are missing? Any thoughts?

I am surpised they didnt do the Boys DA replica as well.
I had heard that next year AFTER (2018-2019) is single band- this year with the 03/04 is just a one year experiement.
That being said its kind of odd that they announce it as a 03/04 band and A Heinrichs philsophy is that the youngers benefit from the play up YET all the DA will play to win I assume and limit the 04 players. If so fine but announce it now so they can sign with ECNL teams fast and move on.
@Lightning Red what we have on boys side is "reserve" or "discovery. I have already heard clubs saying that the girls "will be part of the DA" but what they are referring to is the "reserve squad".
Looking forward to hopefully a single band 2004 soon.

I think the days of the longstanding team are unfortunately long gone. Its best to stay open minded and flexible. I will miss the continuity

I am surpised they didnt do the Boys DA replica as well.
I had heard that next year AFTER (2018-2019) is single band- this year with the 03/04 is just a one year experiement.
That being said its kind of odd that they announce it as a 03/04 band and A Heinrichs philsophy is that the youngers benefit from the play up YET all the DA will play to win I assume and limit the 04 players. If so fine but announce it now so they can sign with ECNL teams fast and move on.
@Lightning Red what we have on boys side is "reserve" or "discovery. I have already heard clubs saying that the girls "will be part of the DA" but what they are referring to is the "reserve squad".
Looking forward to hopefully a single band 2004 soon.
Thanks. I would agree that it would be a "reserve" squad and you would have a few "discovery" players that if capable would earn some minutes in some tourneys or games on the DA side. With the split year scenario to get started I'm not so sure they would copy the boys model. You would dissuade a lot of kids from sticking around. Probably even more so if you didn't have a viable option to ECNL.
I think we would all like to know which clubs you know of that have already offered DA spots to 04's.

Thanks. I would agree that it would be a "reserve" squad and you would have a few "discovery" players that if capable would earn some minutes in some tourneys or games on the DA side. With the split year scenario to get started I'm not so sure they would copy the boys model. You would dissuade a lot of kids from sticking around. Probably even more so if you didn't have a viable option to ECNL.
I think we would all like to know which clubs you know of that have already offered DA spots to 04's.

Fair question. The more appropriate answer is parents stating their Dd got offered a spot. I can't confirm.

It seems like a lot of speculating right now with regards to the DA from everyone. Hopefully after the meetings in mid-December when all the DA clubs meet with US Soccer in Chicago, there will be a much clearer picture of what the plan is going forward. The one thing that I did hear is that the age groups 2004 and younger wont be playing high school soccer. The older age groups get grandfathered in as they are already in high school. It will be interesting to see how the ECNL/DA clubs navigate trying to play both leagues and which teams/league gets priority. Because at this point, I have not heard a logical plan from a current ECNL club to do both.

My 2cents Hoping after this meeting in Chicago US Soccer realizes what a huge mistake they made by combining the age groups AGAIN. I think there is a very good chance they make a change back to age pure as that is the only way they can take down ECNL. To many very good 04's will jump to a ECNL team (depending on distance) if this doesn't happen is my educated guess. I know 95% of the 04 age group hopes this happens and US Soccer makes this easy correction. If so all will be good with the world.

My 2cents Hoping after this meeting in Chicago US Soccer realizes what a huge mistake they made by combining the age groups AGAIN. I think there is a very good chance they make a change back to age pure as that is the only way they can take down ECNL. To many very good 04's will jump to a ECNL team (depending on distance) if this doesn't happen is my educated guess. I know 95% of the 04 age group hopes this happens and US Soccer makes this easy correction. If so all will be good with the world.

Playing the devils advocate here..and honestly don't know the right answer but April H and the powers that be believe that a banded system is what works and improves players. It seems to me the problem isn't US soccer but rather clubs that are focused on winning by filling a DA team with all 03. A mandate for a percentage of 04 seems appropriate if they want to have their intentions enforced - you can't leave it up to the clubs because the win will always be the focus.

That being said I don't know the research about age pure vs banded. I don't know if it's better. I do know every article I have read about her focuses on how she believes in this system.

Back