Surf Cup move

The lease as proposed --

Editing note -- the original PDF URL is no longer working, but this one is --

http://dockets.sandiego.gov/sirepub/cache/2/wtculwhsdnn5z4c2pe4ahdjl/96310007262016091340344.PDF

Lease payments are $20,000 a month plus 10% of all sub-rents (which inspires the question of what rent Surf Soccer Club will pay Surf Cup Sports), adjustable according to cost of living every 5 years.

Lessee will complete the repairs to the public trail graded without permission by the Polo Club.

Lessee may pump up the City's groundwater without paying an additional fee.

Pages 33 and 42 are maps. The infamous parking lot is not included.

The neighbors have already hired a lawyer who is threatening to sue because large athletic tournaments do not fit within the "allowed uses" cited in the original deed when the land was given to the City of San Diego in 1983 (see page 37).

Does anyone know if there was anything preventing Surf from putting up Lights on the Fields?

What tax benefits would they enjoy?

I don't know, that's why I asked. If I was a resident, trying to decided what was best for me and my neighbors, any benefits we received from Surf events would have to figure in to that equation.

Depends. The parking lot on the North end/Villa De la Valle is privately owned.
Over the years I have been told that the lot is owned by Surf Cup, Surf Soccer, the City, the 22nd Agricultural District (Del Mar Fairgrounds operator), and a "private individual". The only clear evidence I have is an old parking stub that says "22nd Agricultural District", and they own the Horse Park just across the street, so that made sense. However, some one posted on the old web site that the private owner merely hired 22AD to operate the lot.

From the communications I've received, this means that there will be far fewer polo matches on the front complex and the grass should improve as a result. In fact, on Monday, the fields at the far East of the property which are always struggling with potholes created by the horses is now in really good shape. We walked around the fields during practice and they are now in the best condition I've seen in 8+ years.

I don't know about what plans they have to improve the site, but if past experience is any indication, the crazy NIMBY neighbors and lunatic environmentalists will oppose them every step of the way.

The original deed specifically allows "equestrian activities, jogging, frisbee, and similar activities" as long as it does not involve "large assemblies of people or automobiles".

The neighbors have been complaining for years about the traffic nightmare they face three weekends a year, and they didn't get those big houses on the hill by backing down from a fight.

don't they face traffic drama with Del Mar right down the road too?

Over the years I have been told that the lot is owned by Surf Cup, Surf Soccer, the City, the 22nd Agricultural District (Del Mar Fairgrounds operator), and a "private individual". The only clear evidence I have is an old parking stub that says "22nd Agricultural District", and they own the Horse Park just across the street, so that made sense. However, some one posted on the old web site that the private owner merely hired 22AD to operate the lot.
The 22AD is responsible for fee collection only. The parking lot land is privately owned and Mike Connerly was paying the owner 40K a year to keep the owner from building on it. At least that is what he told volunteers during Field Marshall Meetings in the past.

The 22AD is responsible for fee collection only. The parking lot land is privately owned and Mike Connerly was paying the owner 40K a year to keep the owner from building on it. At least that is what he told volunteers during Field Marshall Meetings in the past.

There is a line item in the Surf Cup 2014 Form 990 Schedule O for "Parking" of $23,100.

Surf Cup would be difficult to conduct without that parking lot.

Surf's win at the polo fields is a win for everyone in youth soccer.

Whoa, I don't know if I would go that far.

Most of the teams in Surf Cup are out of state, especially in the older age groups. With only a handful of CalSouth teams and even less San Diego teams.

And ever since Surf moved all their club teams to SCDSL, very few of the local teams actually play on the those fields. So basically any San Diego kid under the age of 12 who plays on a Presidio/SDDA team probably has never set foot on the Polo Fields.

Surf Cup brings lots of tourist money to San Diego and it's great having a prestigious tournament here. But let's not exaggerate and say the Polo Fields is a benefit for everyone in youth soccer. For the vast majority of San Diego youth players, the Polo Fields are about as accessible as a $50k plate political fundraiser in Rancho Santa Fe. Facilities such as the SoCal Complex and Norco have had a greater benefit to area youth teams because they host a wider variety of tournaments and local clubs.

Not saying more tournaments should be held at the Polo Fields (especially with the local residents already complaining). Surf has a good thing going with the Polo Fields with the current events schedule. But it doesn't change the fact that the Polo Fields are essentially a gated community that most San Diego youth players never get to play on. It's probably why most non-Surf families are indifferent to Surf leasing the Polo Fields. And it's probably also why Surf Cup hastily started a new partnership with Presidio several months ago because it was pretty glaring how so few San Diego teams use the Polo Fields despite the size of the facility and it was going to negatively affect their lease request.

Whoa, I don't know if I would go that far.

Most of the teams in Surf Cup are out of state, especially in the older age groups. With only a handful of CalSouth teams and even less San Diego teams.

And ever since Surf moved all their club teams to SCDSL, very few of the local teams actually play on the those fields. So basically any San Diego kid under the age of 12 who plays on a Presidio/SDDA team probably has never set foot on the Polo Fields.

Surf Cup brings lots of tourist money to San Diego and it's great having a prestigious tournament here. But let's not exaggerate and say the Polo Fields is a benefit for everyone in youth soccer. For the vast majority of San Diego youth players, the Polo Fields are about as accessible as a $50k plate political fundraiser in Rancho Santa Fe. Facilities such as the SoCal Complex and Norco have had a greater benefit to area youth teams because they host a wider variety of tournaments and local clubs.

Not saying more tournaments should be held at the Polo Fields (especially with the local residents already complaining). Surf has a good thing going with the Polo Fields with the current events schedule. But it doesn't change the fact that the Polo Fields are essentially a gated community that most San Diego youth players never get to play on. It's probably why most non-Surf families are indifferent to Surf leasing the Polo Fields. And it's probably also why Surf Cup hastily started a new partnership with Presidio several months ago because it was pretty glaring how so few San Diego teams use the Polo Fields despite the size of the facility and it was going to negatively affect their lease request.

Do you have any more details on that Surf Cup/Presidio partnership?

Back when my kids' teams played Surf there in Presidio League, we played on the back fields, allegedly because the main surface was reserved for polo.

From the communications I've received, this means that there will be far fewer polo matches on the front complex and the grass should improve as a result. In fact, on Monday, the fields at the far East of the property which are always struggling with potholes created by the horses is now in really good shape. We walked around the fields during practice and they are now in the best condition I've seen in 8+ years.

I don't know about what plans they have to improve the site, but if past experience is any indication, the crazy NIMBY neighbors and lunatic environmentalists will oppose them every step of the way.

I heard the following during the Man City tournament from someone that would know the plans. What I heard is that the Polo matches will be moved around the hill to the far east fields. The stables and ring on the south east corner and east end are going to be torn down to allow more field space, limited parking and a small office. The stage on the west end will be torn down to expand that parking lot. This west end parking will supply more than enough parking for the Surf practices and fall season games. Should be interesting to see what happens.

I heard the following during the Man City tournament from someone that would know the plans. What I heard is that the Polo matches will be moved around the hill to the far east fields. The stables and ring on the south east corner and east end are going to be torn down to allow more field space, limited parking and a small office. The stage on the west end will be torn down to expand that parking lot. This west end parking will supply more than enough parking for the Surf practices and fall season games. Should be interesting to see what happens.

The stage on the west end has already been removed and the dirt parking lot has been expanded. They've also already removed the crappy old "clubhouse" and adjacent buildings on the southeast side of the field and have added a large dirt parking area as well.

I'm really hoping that now Surf Cup has gotten the lease approved they'll be able to pave (or at least gravel) the parking lot and adjoining access roads. I'm tired of having a perpetually dust coated car!

Back