Surf Cup accepted teams 05

I have too much time on my hands. LoL. Made this ranking sheet while drinking some refreshing soccer kool aid. Do you think they'll tier the teams into 3 brackets as shown in my pdf?

Attachments

• File Jun 20, 3 46 01 PM.pdf
    77.4 KB · Views: 152
Looking at that list again, even though it allowed my daughter's team to be picked up to play, that's way too many teams for it to be called "The Best of the Best." That being said, I'm still excited to see how my kid's team matches up.

I asked my daughter if she would rather her team be matched up against equally ranked teams or against the top teams. She said she would rather get stomped by the top teams. Haha. I have to agree with her though. There's nothing like getting pummeled by much better players to let you know where you stand and what you need to work on. Should be fun.

there must be 3 flights this year - how can you have only 2 flights with 60 teams?

From the website:
NEW THIS YEAR: All teams (non-DA) are guaranteed four (4) competitive games. Teams will play three (3) preliminary games on Saturday and Sunday. On Monday, the top 4 teams will play in Semis with the winners playing a 5th game in the championship match. All other finishers will play a consolation game on Monday as their 4th game. All top flight winners will receive winner’s jackets; with trophies and individual awards will be presented to all finalists and champions.

I think there will be 4 flights. 4 brackets - 4 teams X 3 = 48 and 3 brackets - 4 teams = 12, so 60 teams, 4 flights.
They are being uniformed in the format this year by having a max of 5 games, instead of having quarterfinals and up to 6 games like
last year. Plus, having an extra game for teams not making it to semis.

I know this is not the place to make any real changes happen, but I will put my two cents in anyway.
The teams that don't get out of bracket play should play their consolation games on Sunday afternoon or at least EARLY Monday morning.
They did this new format thing with consolation games being played on Monday at the Manchester cup and I understand that for the money teams are paying it can be seen as a nice gesture giving everyone a fourth game, but depending on the circumstances it can be more of a burden than a reward. Our team as many know did not have a good showing at the Manchester cup and got knocked into the consolation game. Coming from Camarillo, it would have been nice to drive home Sunday night and beat the traffic, but we had to stay in Oceanside for an extra night to play a 2:30pm consolation game. The opposing team was from San Diego, so I don't think it bothered them as much, but for us it was pretty rough after a tough weekend not getting home till after 8:00pm Monday night due to a consolation game.

I know this is not the place to make any real changes happen, but I will put my two cents in anyway.
The teams that don't get out of bracket play should play their consolation games on Sunday afternoon or at least EARLY Monday morning.
They did this new format thing with consolation games being played on Monday at the Manchester cup and I understand that for the money teams are paying it can be seen as a nice gesture giving everyone a fourth game, but depending on the circumstances it can be more of a burden than a reward. Our team as many know did not have a good showing at the Manchester cup and got knocked into the consolation game. Coming from Camarillo, it would have been nice to drive home Sunday night and beat the traffic, but we had to stay in Oceanside for an extra night to play a 2:30pm consolation game. The opposing team was from San Diego, so I don't think it bothered them as much, but for us it was pretty rough after a tough weekend not getting home till after 8:00pm Monday night due to a consolation game.
One way to ensure an extra night's worth of Hotel revenue.

From the website:
NEW THIS YEAR: All teams (non-DA) are guaranteed four (4) competitive games. Teams will play three (3) preliminary games on Saturday and Sunday. On Monday, the top 4 teams will play in Semis with the winners playing a 5th game in the championship match. All other finishers will play a consolation game on Monday as their 4th game. All top flight winners will receive winner’s jackets; with trophies and individual awards will be presented to all finalists and champions.

I think there will be 4 flights. 4 brackets - 4 teams X 3 = 48 and 3 brackets - 4 teams = 12, so 60 teams, 4 flights.
They are being uniformed in the format this year by having a max of 5 games, instead of having quarterfinals and up to 6 games like
last year. Plus, having an extra game for teams not making it to semis.

I may be wrong but this indicates the guaranteed minimum of 4 games and 5 for the champions and finalists. That means they can still have quarterfinals on Sunday and play semifinals and finals on Monday with fewer Monday consolation games because quarter finalists will have had their guaranteed 4 games.

I may be wrong but this indicates the guaranteed minimum of 4 games and 5 for the champions and finalists. That means they can still have quarterfinals on Sunday and play semifinals and finals on Monday with fewer Monday consolation games because quarter finalists will have had their guaranteed 4 games.
Then you have 2 teams playing 6 games in 3 days. That's just too much.

The 4th game on Monday is a money grab. Man Cities was advertised in their rules as 4 games (2 on Sat and 2 on Sun), with the semis and finals on Monday. The schedule came out and it was only 2 games Sat and 1 game Sunday, with the 4th game on Monday. It was a good experience for our girls, but the false advertising by the tourney was not cool.

The 4th game on Monday is a money grab. Man Cities was advertised in their rules as 4 games (2 on Sat and 2 on Sun), with the semis and finals on Monday. The schedule came out and it was only 2 games Sat and 1 game Sunday, with the 4th game on Monday. It was a good experience for our girls, but the false advertising by the tourney was not cool.
The money grab is having 3 flights which has caused them to spread games out in order to accommodate the vast number of teams they accept now.....cause and effect

The money grab is having 3 flights which has caused them to spread games out in order to accommodate the vast number of teams they accept now.....cause and effect

I would typically agree, but then they shouldn't advertise the tournament as 2 games Sat and 2 games Sunday..... Simply say 4 games guaranteed, which they have done for Surf Cup.

I think they learned their lesson on the advertising, as I'm sure our team was not the only team pissed about having to stick around and essentially waste away a full day for one game.
That being said, it is a complete money grab and there is no way to stop it so long as 60+ teams are showing up in any given age group.
I would be all for boycotting the tournament and forcing them to see us as customers rather than easy targets, but that's not up to me and obviously our team will be there to feed the monkey.
The friendly games our team will be doing in a couple weeks will give us just as good if not better competition for next to no cost and we don't have to "stay and play".
I'm really not sure why this has not become more of a trend in soccer with the obviousness of these tournaments taking us for every penny they can squeeze out.
Hope you all have a nice summer and look forward to crossing paths at the fields!

I think they learned their lesson on the advertising, as I'm sure our team was not the only team pissed about having to stick around and essentially waste away a full day for one game.
That being said, it is a complete money grab and there is no way to stop it so long as 60+ teams are showing up in any given age group.
I would be all for boycotting the tournament and forcing them to see us as customers rather than easy targets, but that's not up to me and obviously our team will be there to feed the monkey.
The friendly games our team will be doing in a couple weeks will give us just as good if not better competition for next to no cost and we don't have to "stay and play".
I'm really not sure why this has not become more of a trend in soccer with the obviousness of these tournaments taking us for every penny they can squeeze out.
Hope you all have a nice summer and look forward to crossing paths at the fields!
Willy = Completely agree.

Maybe Surf Cup should unfurl a new banner for us to walk under this year. "IT IS WHAT IT IS."

All kidding aside, my daughter and I still love Surf Cup because even as they have added teams (boy have they added teams), it is a well run event and still has that prestige factor and excitement that just isn't matched by most other tournaments.

That said, I do love the option of setting up round robins with a group of teams at the same level and wish we would do it more. More control over times and locations, and less pressure for the players which is good when you want to work on things. Looking forward to ours Willy!

Back