SoCal Soccer Attitude Change

You called yourself a moron, haha. While I would not go that far, if any of the idiocy that takes place in our youth soccer on all fronts is so disturbing to you, perhaps you should take genesis, yourself, and all of our misplaced energy with less importance? Just a thought.

Because the Express coach was evidently a f'ing moron. You should have video taped the moron and sent it into the league and ref assoc. Presidio is good about protecting the youth referees and would have suspended te moron. Tell him to stick with it.
If the Express coach questioned some calls in a polite tone, he's a f'ing moron and you want him suspended, do you feel the same way if the same kid wears a jersey and the coach questions in a polite tone his plays?

You called yourself a moron, haha. While I would not go that far, if any of the idiocy that takes place in our youth soccer on all fronts is so disturbing to you, perhaps you should take genesis, yourself, and all of our misplaced energy with less importance? Just a thought.
Believe me, I place very little importance on what goes on this forum or in soccer in general. My DD plays and likes the sport, me not so much. Honestly, just a way to entertain myself while I work the graveyard shift occasionally to help pay for the darn sport. I do enjoy a good debate though especially with those who get so riled up in here. My DD has one more year and off to college so after that you will not see my ugly mug on here again.....

Given that there is a shortage of referees in SoCal, and given that referees need to start and learn somewhere, you don't see any problem with a coach who is a fully grown man questioning the decisions of a 13 year old boy that is learning to be a ref during a U8 game? While his tone of voice was not unpleasant, the fact that he was questioning many calls during the game may discourage some children from continuing as referees as well as the fact that he was setting a poor example for his team of 7 year old players. Remember, this was a U8 game and the results will never matter. No body got hurt and the coach that was questioning the call had a team that was dominating the game and went on to win 8-1. I wonder how he acts when his team is losing?
If a coach questions your kid's calls in a polite and pleasant tone, that's not abuse. That's life. In school, fully grown adults will question his work ethics. On the field, coaches will question his effort, toughness or abilities. Once he's learned to drive, he'll be cut off on the freeway. His steaks will be overcooked. Life is not perfect. Neither are people. Maturity in part is the ability to accept people's mistakes, as long as it doesn't arise to abuse. What he can learn is that with authority comes boundaries and accountability, unlike what a couple of refs on this forum have you believe, whether he becomes student body president, congressman or CEO. Not all minor wrongs can or need be remedied.

Specific to being a ref, when a coach questions his calls - as long as it's done in a non-disparaging manner - it gives him an opportunity to develop a healthy mindset and different perspectives. With a sense of accountability, he'll eventually learn to defuse situations with a quick explanation. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was very impressed with a ref. He gave a yellow card on what appeared to be a minor foul. He quickly turned around and told the coach "Too many verbals." Being a good ref involves more than knowing LOTG. It involves humility. The ability to see how others could reasonable perceive things differently. The ability to agree to disagree.

On this particular incident, I simply disagree with you.

If a coach questions your kid's calls in a polite and pleasant tone, that's not abuse. That's life. In school, fully grown adults will question his work ethics. On the field, coaches will question his effort, toughness or abilities. Once he's learned to drive, he'll be cut off on the freeway. His steaks will be overcooked. Life is not perfect. Neither are people. Maturity in part is the ability to accept people's mistakes, as long as it doesn't arise to abuse. What he can learn is that with authority comes boundaries and accountability, unlike what a couple of refs on this forum have you believe, whether he becomes student body president, congressman or CEO. Not all minor wrongs can or need be remedied.

Specific to being a ref, when a coach questions his calls - as long as it's done in a non-disparaging manner - it gives him an opportunity to develop a healthy mindset and different perspectives. With a sense of accountability, he'll eventually learn to defuse situations with a quick explanation. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was very impressed with a ref. He gave a yellow card on what appeared to be a minor foul. He quickly turned around and told the coach "Too many verbals." Being a good ref involves more than knowing LOTG. It involves humility. The ability to see how others could reasonable perceive things differently. The ability to agree to disagree.

amen to that

Being a good ref involves more than knowing LOTG. It involves humility. The ability to see how others could reasonable perceive things differently. The ability to agree to disagree.

I totally agree and appreciate this being said. Make a poster.

The above applies to parents and coaches as well. I saw this in a microcosm of 2 games I refereed over the weekend. We all came to genuine, peaceful understanding and acceptance of our disagreements. During a break in action a coach asked me, as an AR, how I saw the player as being in an off-side position when they were shoulder to shoulder. I explained that when the ball was played through, the player was ahead of the defender, but that it had gone back and forth. If I wasn't sure, I wouldn't have signaled. He was fine and we moved on. I felt absolutely no animosity about being questioned. In the preceding game, I even had a parent and coach tell a parent, who wasn't even behaving out of the norm, that he should 'get a jersey'. I mentioned to him, as a ball was being retrieved, that I had to call it as I saw it from the field and the game wasn't going to turn on the throw in, he agreed, we both chuckled and that was the end of it.

This whole thread, as a reflection of the message board itself, has once again disintegrated into people "shouting" past each other about fringe elements behind them. While officiating, coaching and spectating during a match, you have to consider the other's perspective when considering decisions during play.

There are good referees and bad ones. Good coaches and bad ones. It serves no purpose, especially here, to lump decent, open minded people in with those that, frankly, aren't!! Referee's, coaches and parents shouldn't assume that just because one is being criticized, all are. We also have to admit that we know and have seen some really bad examples of 'ourselves' out there. The funny thing is, most people here do admit that, but their detractors seem to disregard the openness.

Nothing positive will come from continuing this thread. Maybe the next one similar to it that pops up this month will turn out different. But it will have a long history of failure preceding it.

Sorry for upseting you ref, we dont know what type of "questioning" occured, maybe "f coach" asked for an explanation of certain decision made by the ref? If you are not to question, ask, communicate w refs in u8, 10, 15 well let me know when is ok to ask for an explanation, at what age level is ok to do that? This type of an attitude feeds spectators and coaches, officials in cal south deserve such spectators and vice versa...its ridiculous to expect people on sidelines to behave properly when officials are so trigger happy to attack people with different opinions or even worse label someone moron...

It has nothing to do with the age of the players. It has everything to do with the age of the referee. Cal South, Presidio/SDDA, SCDSL, CSL and ECNL will back a youth referee 100 percent. When I have a youth referee on my crew, CR or AR, the coaches and managers get one warning before the game. All Cal South coaches know not to make and comments or questions toward a youth referee. There is zero tolerance for any comments/questions to a youth referee. The quickest way for spectators or coaches to get thrown out of a game is to yell at a youth referee. I worked with a 14 year old referee on two GU9 games. These were his first two games in the center. Riptide was the home team and I cannot remember who the visiting teams were. All four coaches told the spectators to say nothing to the refs. The Riptide coaches and spectators went out of their way after the game to provided positive comments to the youth referee and told him great job. The youth referee was all smiles and left the field with Some new found confidence. Those Riptide coaches understood that yelling at the youth referee would only make him want to quit and that positive comments would keep him coming back.

There is NEVER a good time when it is appropriate to yell negative comments or question a youth referee.

What you fail to understand is that Cal South and all the leagues have laid out guidance for the coaches that they WILL NOT comment or question the calls of youth referees. There is no wording saying that it is okay to politely question a youth referee. No comments or questions means just that.

The logic behind this policy is fairly simple. An adult questioning, even politely, a 12-16 year old can be intimidating to that kid. I cannot put it any simpler than that. If you still don't understand, than I feel sorry for you.

It has nothing to do with the age of the players. It has everything to do with the age of the referee. Cal South, Presidio/SDDA, SCDSL, CSL and ECNL will back a youth referee 100 percent. When I have a youth referee on my crew, CR or AR, the coaches and managers get one warning before the game. All Cal South coaches know not to make and comments or questions toward a youth referee. There is zero tolerance for any comments/questions to a youth referee. The quickest way for spectators or coaches to get thrown out of a game is to yell at a youth referee. I worked with a 14 year old referee on two GU9 games. These were his first two games in the center. Riptide was the home team and I cannot remember who the visiting teams were. All four coaches told the spectators to say nothing to the refs. The Riptide coaches and spectators went out of their way after the game to provided positive comments to the youth referee and told him great job. The youth referee was all smiles and left the field with Some new found confidence. Those Riptide coaches understood that yelling at the youth referee would only make him want to quit and that positive comments would keep him coming back.

There is NEVER a good time when it is appropriate to yell negative comments or question a youth referee.
What a bunch of crap....someday that kid is gonna have to get questioned on his/her decisions....questioning tactfully is not abuse. Nobody is advocating yelling at the kid. so as a coach do I tell my team, "sorry that ref made a couple bad calls and messed up your attempt at the goal, but his confidence and development is way more important than yours." That is why colleges now have had to double their counseling staffs because professors hold students accountable and they cant handle it. I wonder is that is how his teachers treat him, "its OK that you didn't study for this test and screwed up many answers, I am gonna tell u good job and give you an A for effort anyway......wow.

What a bunch of crap....someday that kid is gonna have to get questioned on his/her decisions....questioning tactfully is not abuse. Nobody is advocating yelling at the kid. so as a coach do I tell my team, "sorry that ref made a couple bad calls and messed up your attempt at the goal, but his confidence and development is way more important than yours." That is why colleges now have had to double their counseling staffs because professors hold students accountable and they cant handle it. I wonder is that is how his teachers treat him, "its OK that you didn't study for this test and screwed up many answers, I am gonna tell u good job and give you an A for effort anyway......wow.

We don't have to agree, but the coach and spectators do need to follow the Cal South policy and ethics guidance. Those are the rules that I have to enforce and coaches must follow.

Too many coaches questioning the 13 year old and he never makes it to the next year. Thays an asinine argument.

Too many coaches questioning the 13 year old and he never makes it to the next year. Thays an asinine argument.
Perhaps he/she shouldn't. My DD did tryouts for a couple teams and didn't make the cut. Should they have taken her even though she wasn't doing a good enough job? She didn't quit though, worked hard and came back the next year and made the team. A youth ref couldnt do that?

Perhaps he/she shouldn't. My DD did tryouts for a couple teams and didn't make the cut. Should they have taken her even though she wasn't doing a good enough job? She didn't quit though, worked hard and came back the next year and made the team. A youth ref couldnt do that?
Why would they? It's not a spot on a team. There aren't many kids who yearn to referee. It's very difficult to get the younger kids to stick with it. And going back to my question from many posts ago..... What does a U8 coach have to gain from questioning a 13 year old center? Since all you coaches are afraid to answer let me help you. Absolutely nothing. It's reflex. It means nothing. Are you working that kid to get the next call like in a high level older match? Or are you setting a poor example for the players, letting them know it's ok to question the ref on a throw in at the mid line? Even if it makes no difference. At U8, teach them to play, to argue, not dive, not question calls, not act up. It gets that coach nothing. It hurts that youth ref. Wide up

Of course you are right. Cal South, Presidio and other leagues nationwide all have it wrong. If only they had your insight; If only they would listen to you. Idiots, all of them.

What you fail to understand is that Cal South and all the leagues have laid out guidance for the coaches that they WILL NOT comment or question the calls of youth referees. There is no wording saying that it is okay to politely question a youth referee. No comments or questions means just that.

The logic behind this policy is fairly simple. An adult questioning, even politely, a 12-16 year old can be intimidating to that kid. I cannot put it any simpler than that. If you still don't understand, than I feel sorry for you.
Where is the CalSouth rule that prohibits anyone from talking to a youth ref? Or is it one of your "rules of thumb?" Speaking of which, you still haven't answered where in LOTG is "referee credibility" mentioned? And where in LOTG is the cap on the number of fouls can AR call?

Where is the CalSouth rule that prohibits anyone from talking to a youth ref? Or is it one of your "rules of thumb?" Speaking of which, you still haven't answered where in LOTG is "referee credibility" mentioned? And where in LOTG is the cap on the number of fouls can AR call?
From Cal South Code of Conduct:

"In addition, each Coach will ensure that his/her conduct sets a good example for team members and spectators. To meet these responsibilities, the Coach is expected to:
[...]
• Respect the game officials at all times. Refrain from questioning their decisions or challenging their authority.

Every player is expected to:
[...]
• Respect the game officials and refrain from addressing them or commenting on their
decisions during or after the game.

The parents' role is one of support to the players and coaches. Parents should not engage in "coaching" from the sidelines, criticizing players, coaches or game officials or trying to influence the makeup of the team at any time. Every parent and spectator is expected to:
[...]
• Respect the game officials and refrain from questioning their decisions

From Cal South Code of Conduct:

"In addition, each Coach will ensure that his/her conduct sets a good example for team members and spectators. To meet these responsibilities, the Coach is expected to:
[...]
• Respect the game officials at all times. Refrain from questioning their decisions or challenging their authority.

Every player is expected to:
[...]
• Respect the game officials and refrain from addressing them or commenting on their
decisions during or after the game.

The parents' role is one of support to the players and coaches. Parents should not engage in "coaching" from the sidelines, criticizing players, coaches or game officials or trying to influence the makeup of the team at any time. Every parent and spectator is expected to:
[...]
• Respect the game officials and refrain from questioning their decisions
Surfref claims that Calsouth and all leagues have guidelines specific to youth referees.

Surfref claims that Calsouth and all leagues have guidelines specific to youth referees.
These are from Cal South, and apply to all game officials. So I guess he's being generous, as are all referees for putting up with the violation of these rules in every match. I know I'm guilty on occasion as a parent or coach, and I appreciate the discretion.

All local leagues from AYSO on upto the highest competitive circuit all consistently state that there is zero tolerance for questioning decisions, or challenging the authority of youth referees, whether you agree with that or not. The reality, as opposed to these fictional hypotheticals, is that no coach is going to be sent off if they have a calm, rational, discreet question to a youth referee. But we all know that's not the "problem" being discussed here.

These are from Cal South, and apply to all game officials. So I guess he's being generous, as are all referees for putting up with the violation of these rules in every match. I know I'm guilty on occasion as a parent or coach, and I appreciate the discretion.

All local leagues from AYSO on upto the highest competitive circuit all consistently state that there is zero tolerance for questioning decisions, or challenging the authority of youth referees, whether you agree with that or not. The reality, as opposed to these fictional hypotheticals, is that no coach is going to be sent off if they have a calm, rational, discreet question to a youth referee. But we all know that's not the "problem" being discussed here.
I would agree with what you are saying, noting though that Cal south is looking out for its own interests first, not the interests of the players/coaches/parents. The code of conduct refers to officials but does not include them with specific guidelines as it does for the players, coaches and parents. I assume the officials are governed by a different code of conduct?? I have no issues with officials who come and call the game as they see it. There is always going to be calls that can go either way and depending on what team you are rooting for you are going to be biased toward the call. My issue is with officials who feel like they have some obligation to officiate the manners, etiquette, and demeanor of the fans...We tend to forget that if the soccer community desires for the sport to continue to grow it cannot only cater to parents who are bound by the Cal South agreements they have to sign to allow their kids to play. what a bout just a fan? Can't I as a member of the community got see the local team play? What if i get loud and offend the ref? Threatening me with removal from the game has a whole lot less effect that it does with a parent. That is where I think that the refs need to analyze if the "abuse" they feel they may be receiving is worth stopping the game and getting confrontational. From the games I have attended in other countries whose spectators were more than just parents, I consider American fans to be somewhat calm. We don't riot when our local club loses or wins.

I would agree with what you are saying, noting though that Cal south is looking out for its own interests first, not the interests of the players/coaches/parents. The code of conduct refers to officials but does not include them with specific guidelines as it does for the players, coaches and parents. I assume the officials are governed by a different code of conduct?? I have no issues with officials who come and call the game as they see it. There is always going to be calls that can go either way and depending on what team you are rooting for you are going to be biased toward the call. My issue is with officials who feel like they have some obligation to officiate the manners, etiquette, and demeanor of the fans...We tend to forget that if the soccer community desires for the sport to continue to grow it cannot only cater to parents who are bound by the Cal South agreements they have to sign to allow their kids to play. what a bout just a fan? Can't I as a member of the community got see the local team play? What if i get loud and offend the ref? Threatening me with removal from the game has a whole lot less effect that it does with a parent. That is where I think that the refs need to analyze if the "abuse" they feel they may be receiving is worth stopping the game and getting confrontational. From the games I have attended in other countries whose spectators were more than just parents, I consider American fans to be somewhat calm. We don't riot when our local club loses or wins.
what if the games on mars allow fans to shoot the referees with ray guns? that makes it ok in America and therefor calsouth? your argument is moot. this is where it is and what it is. and if a fan, not a parent, is abusive, then they will be asked to leave. if they don't, the game will be stopped until such time the proper authorities are called and they are removed. pretty simple and i don't understand any argument against it. if any adult, is ruining a game played by younger people, they are wrong. period. coach. parent. whomever.

Back