Socal League 2023 Fall Flights and Brackets

EQ >IQ= Emotional Control needs to be the highest thing Elite athletes have no Disrespect Coach Dave might have been correct.

very important as well and should definitely be developed after 16. At the end of the day it’s the differentiating factor among pro athletes. But 13-16 is about IQ as the main

Wow :oops: The growth and development of a player, especially in their formative years, is of paramount importance. While your goat has indeed been through a myriad of experiences, both winning and losing, it's the long-term development that truly matters. As she grows older, it's clear that personal growth and skills development should be prioritized over mere winning.

For my DD the Blues have indeed played a significant role in shaping her into a resilient and hardworking individual player, instilling in her values of determination and mental strength to playing with proper workrate. While it's commendable, the role of all pay to play clubs shouldn't end there. From the age of 8 to 13, she honed her technical abilities primarily through my guidance, and this serves as a testament to the fact that under the pay-to-play system prevalent in the USA, the onus largely falls on parents and private trainers to mold a player technically.

However, as she navigates the ages of 13 to 16, it's imperative to focus on mental agility, strategy, and soccer IQ. This is where the system in the USA, particularly the pay-to-play model, seems to falter. It's disheartening to note after observing the ECNL playoffs in Virginia this past u13 season, that there's a stunted growth in the IQ development of players. At 16, they should be showcasing advanced tactical understanding and decision-making abilities, comparable to their European counterparts. Instead, they seem to be at par with 13-year-olds, with the only difference being their physical prowess.

In essence, while physicality is an essential facet of the game, it should not overshadow the critical aspect of game intelligence development. It's high time we re-evaluate our development model and focus on creating not just physically adept players, but intellectually agile ones too.
I agree with you that IQ isn't being developed in the US and that it is the central problem. I think you got the cause wrong, however. If you look at the boys side, the boys teams are regularly able to hang with the academy teams and some have even beaten them (thinking of the TFA-Manchester MIC game or that Manchester was knocked out of the MLS Flex U15 tournie last year early). It's the way they do it, however: long ball, getting really athletic runners and early bloomers, banging it at the goalkeepers (that aren't athletically capable of doing a block of a shot of that power yet or over their heads) instead of finessing into corners, and a lack of possession play. The reason why is because the coaches need to take those short cuts in order to pursue the win, which is demanded by the club managers and parents.

It's also great that your guidance worked out. Most overly involved sports dads (and moms) wind up have a reckoning moment. Agassi, my son's GK coach and his kid, Myzel Miller, Lavar Ball, Gloria James, me, countless others. That's not a solution for most people because: a) they lack the technical knowledge, and b) the kid eventually rebels. You are correct the clubs can't do this. The coaches don't have the players for enough time and have other things to worry about than to hone technical skills. It's really irritating on the boys side so many coaches at even the non-academy MLS Next level have to waste time in practice doing conditioning, which really should be done by players on their own, and at the academy level is part of the larger curriculum.

Beware: Emphasizing on solely emotional control in elite athletes suggests that emotional intelligence might be more crucial than cognitive intelligence. This notion resonates when observing pure athletes. However, in the realm of soccer, there's a nuanced balance to consider. Emotional control is essential, but on-field intelligence, which includes understanding game dynamics, reading situations, and making strategic decisions, holds equal weight. The zenith of soccer proficiency is reached when elite athletes refine their soccer-specific intelligence while mastering their emotional responses.

Last edited:
very important as well and should definitely be developed after 16. At the end of the day it’s the differentiating factor among pro athletes. But 13-16 is about IQ as the main
Side note Luis. Did you hear about the Big Foot sighting in CO?
'Bigfoot' caught on camera during couple's romantic getaway in Colorado
Shannon and Stetson Parker shared videos and pictures that they claim prove Bigfoot's existence

1697139038119.png

Side note Luis. Did you hear about the Big Foot sighting in CO?
'Bigfoot' caught on camera during couple's romantic getaway in Colorado
Shannon and Stetson Parker shared videos and pictures that they claim prove Bigfoot's existence

View attachment 18436
Watching now thanks. I just messaged Todd Standing. He should be able to let us know if its the real deal.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, I never saw the actual video proof. These Big Foots are all over the place and some are Black & Brown. Is there a White Big Foot or some like to say, "Albino Big Foot." There coming out to say hi and be friends. The world is changing Luis.

yes the white big foot can be found in the Himalayas. AKA Abonimable Snowman

Oh my gosh, I never saw the actual video proof. These Big Foots are all over the place and some are Black & Brown. Is there a White Big Foot or some like to say, "Albino Big Foot." There coming out to say hi and be friends. The world is changing Luis.
Bigfoots are great trackers. They know how to hide but looks like this one got caught red handed. Notice how it sits down and blends so well with the natural habitat. This footage looks genuine to me.

This is my 7 year old chasing a State Cup medal/trophy. The fact is some kids love to play for something more than just having fun. Yes, dad wants to chase a little as well, but you can't teach medal chasing to a kid. It comes from those who are super competitive and from their heart of wanting to win. We lost all the games and my dd was one of the only players who cried after being smashed by better teams. The good news, one of the top coaches in socal saw her crying and saw someone who actually cared about winning. So, she reached out and the rest is history. I have boxes of medals from Legends Classic, Blues Cup, West Coast, Two Surf Cup trophies, A Man City Trophy, a Far West Regional plaque and a Natty medal to boot to name a few. Those are just the big trophies and medals she earned by hard work in her youth career. She wanted CIF so bad but the clowns at CIF put our little Laguna school in D1. Total joke and I'm still researching how on earth Laguna with 800 student needs to play against powerhouse RSM, Los Al, Newport and all the big schools like HB and Capo. These schools have thousands of students to choose from. Wining has to come into play around 7, but not win at all costs and no coach should yell or scream for the win, and that includes daddy. I yelled at refs only, my true confession. You would too if you saw the physical abuse my dd took during her medal runs.

View attachment 18408
you kept your teams trophies?

Curiosity question - For those in SoCal League in the youngers, do individual teams have access to their own results? The public gotsport page (linked here) hides the results through U10 (all 7v7 ages). There are 1 or 2 brackets where it looks like a checkbox was missed, so it does show results for B15-Flight 3 South, and B16 - Flight 1 East, but the rest are blanked/hidden. This matches what it says in the socal handbook (page 18):

Do teams keep track of their own 7v7 game history offline in teamsnap/byga/whatever?

Team manager enters the scores but it remains hidden by the site.
I believe when TMs enter the scores, other TMs can see the scores entered? If they're entered.
I believe they're not required to enter the scores.

Back