Socal League 2023 Fall Flights and Brackets

Curiosity question - For those in SoCal League in the youngers, do individual teams have access to their own results? The public gotsport page (linked here) hides the results through U10 (all 7v7 ages). There are 1 or 2 brackets where it looks like a checkbox was missed, so it does show results for B15-Flight 3 South, and B16 - Flight 1 East, but the rest are blanked/hidden. This matches what it says in the socal handbook (page 18):

Do teams keep track of their own 7v7 game history offline in teamsnap/byga/whatever?

Yes, I can see our "match stats" which have goals in gotsport on the team mgmt/matches page. We also keep track of them in our team snap app.

Got it. I can see the same on that team mgmt/matches page when logged in to GS as a team mgr. But GS visibility isn't needed to given to the parents, as you're duplicating that info in teamsnap - and with that teamsnap view it's easy to show individual game results plus overall record for the season.

With those game results, can you back into a standings table - or do you only have access to the games that your team played in directly and cannot see the results of other teams?

Got it. I can see the same on that team mgmt/matches page when logged in to GS as a team mgr. But GS visibility isn't needed to given to the parents, as you're duplicating that info in teamsnap - and with that teamsnap view it's easy to show individual game results plus overall record for the season.

With those game results, can you back into a standings table - or do you only have access to the games that your team played in directly and cannot see the results of other teams?
You can see results from every bracket/flight. Be nice to your team manager and ask him/her to share the password with you. :)

Makes sense - for clarity, I'm not in the area and have nothing to do with this particular league, was just wondering how it was handled - seeing hidden results on GotSport is pretty rare. What password is the team manager sharing with some parents, their same GotSport password that they use to enter/change scores and register the team for events? Seems like that would be somewhat risky. But then again, GotSport keeps the same event code and same exceedingly simple password to such an extent that hundreds of people could mess with other people's scores at any time, and it doesn't seem to happen.

You can see results from every bracket/flight. Be nice to your team manager and ask him/her to share the password with you. :)

The way I understand it, team managers should only be able to see their own team's results, as described by @Cruzer . If they can see other team's/brackets/flights, their account is setup differently than most.

You dont need to ask team manager for any password. You can call GS Support and they will provide you with the PIN for accessing scores from all games and brackets. SoCal Soccer League uses a single pin for ALL Fall League games.

With this you can create your own league bracket with W/L/D/GF/GA/GD/Pts etc and just share it on a google doc with your team. If you have zapier.com account you can even automate the process for the google sheet to automatically update scores as teams enter them.

The entire lets hide the scores and not award trophies/medals to the 7v7 league is just a cop out from SoCal Soccer League in my opinion to not have to do anything on their end.

If you need help figuring this out please feel free to PM me. Happy to help you get your kids teams scores and bracket setup so you have clear visibility of what is going on.

My youngest one is just starting out

I kinda like no scores/standings . The unknown going into virtually every game . You could lose 10-0, win 10-0 or hell today it was a great competitive game that ended 2-2 .

If as a parent you can just RELAX , and not take it too seriously the 5-7 year old age group is a lot of fun

Missed this...
Yes, I found a way to see other scores that have been posted via the scoring page.

You dont need to ask team manager for any password. You can call GS Support and they will provide you with the PIN for accessing scores from all games and brackets. SoCal Soccer League uses a single pin for ALL Fall League games.

With this you can create your own league bracket with W/L/D/GF/GA/GD/Pts etc and just share it on a google doc with your team. If you have zapier.com account you can even automate the process for the google sheet to automatically update scores as teams enter them.

The entire lets hide the scores and not award trophies/medals to the 7v7 league is just a cop out from SoCal Soccer League in my opinion to not have to do anything on their end.

If you need help figuring this out please feel free to PM me. Happy to help you get your kids teams scores and bracket setup so you have clear visibility of what is going on.
The DOC's of the member clubs vote on this rule. It's not the league that makes this decision. Since the inception of the league, there has not been scores or standings posted for 7v7 age groups. The league does what the members vote on. The DOC's believe that in the 7v7 ages there shouldn't be pressure to win games and it should be more developmental. Like it or not, the members discuss and vote on this and the league only sets up the system accordingly.

That doesn't track. If they're still recording the scores and entering them into the system but not making them public, that's the exact same amount of work.

I kinda like no scores/standings . The unknown going into virtually every game . You could lose 10-0, win 10-0 or hell today it was a great competitive game that ended 2-2 .

If as a parent you can just RELAX , and not take it too seriously the 5-7 year old age group is a lot of fun
This is my 7 year old chasing a State Cup medal/trophy. The fact is some kids love to play for something more than just having fun. Yes, dad wants to chase a little as well, but you can't teach medal chasing to a kid. It comes from those who are super competitive and from their heart of wanting to win. We lost all the games and my dd was one of the only players who cried after being smashed by better teams. The good news, one of the top coaches in socal saw her crying and saw someone who actually cared about winning. So, she reached out and the rest is history. I have boxes of medals from Legends Classic, Blues Cup, West Coast, Two Surf Cup trophies, A Man City Trophy, a Far West Regional plaque and a Natty medal to boot to name a few. Those are just the big trophies and medals she earned by hard work in her youth career. She wanted CIF so bad but the clowns at CIF put our little Laguna school in D1. Total joke and I'm still researching how on earth Laguna with 800 student needs to play against powerhouse RSM, Los Al, Newport and all the big schools like HB and Capo. These schools have thousands of students to choose from. Wining has to come into play around 7, but not win at all costs and no coach should yell or scream for the win, and that includes daddy. I yelled at refs only, my true confession. You would too if you saw the physical abuse my dd took during her medal runs.

20.jpg

Well that's why we have that league AYSO... Where soccer is played for FUN

This is my 7 year old chasing a State Cup medal/trophy. The fact is some kids love to play for something more than just having fun. Yes, dad wants to chase a little as well, but you can't teach medal chasing to a kid. It comes from those who are super competitive and from their heart of wanting to win. We lost all the games and my dd was one of the only players who cried after being smashed by better teams. The good news, one of the top coaches in socal saw her crying and saw someone who actually cared about winning. So, she reached out and the rest is history. I have boxes of medals from Legends Classic, Blues Cup, West Coast, Two Surf Cup trophies, A Man City Trophy, a Far West Regional plaque and a Natty medal to boot to name a few. Those are just the big trophies and medals she earned by hard work in her youth career. She wanted CIF so bad but the clowns at CIF put our little Laguna school in D1. Total joke and I'm still researching how on earth Laguna with 800 student needs to play against powerhouse RSM, Los Al, Newport and all the big schools like HB and Capo. These schools have thousands of students to choose from. Wining has to come into play around 7, but not win at all costs and no coach should yell or scream for the win, and that includes daddy. I yelled at refs only, my true confession. You would too if you saw the physical abuse my dd took during her medal runs.

View attachment 18408

View attachment 18408
Hopefully your baby had lots of fun and less tears.

Soccer is suppose to be fun at all age groups and at all levels, maybe excluding only the pros. Otherwise you aren't doing it right, and might I suggest if it's not played primarily because you love it, you are doing it wrong and should look at something else to fill so much time.

Let me rephrase that “only for fun” for me it needs to be both fun and competitive or else the player is not growing. Like @crush said not to win at all costs but it can’t be just rec. kids need to learn to win/lose and also have fun. At this age kids need to learn to win their 1v1’s while having fun.

Hopefully your baby had lots of fun and less tears.
One thing about a true competitor that is emotional, you cry both ways brother. When you win, you have cries of joy. When you lose, you have cries of sorrow. You only win and celebrate with medal, or you learn from a loss!!! I cried as well, and the guys made fun of me. My son cried when he struck out in Pony league and Coach Dave told me to take my son home early one day because he cries too much. Worse coach ever. My son was only 7 and coach Dave thought this was some MLB championship league.

One thing about a true competitor that is emotional, you cry both ways brother. When you win, you have cries of joy. When you lose, you have cries of sorrow. You only win and celebrate with medal, or you learn from a loss!!! I cried as well, and the guys made fun of me. My son cried when he struck out in Pony league and Coach Dave told me to take my son home early one day because he cries too much. Worse coach ever. My son was only 7 and coach Dave thought this was some MLB championship league.
EQ >IQ= Emotional Control needs to be the highest thing Elite athletes have no Disrespect Coach Dave might have been correct.

Let me rephrase that “only for fun” for me it needs to be both fun and competitive or else the player is not growing. Like @crush said not to win at all costs but it can’t be just rec. kids need to learn to win/lose and also have fun. At this age kids need to learn to win their 1v1’s while having fun.
Good correction Luis. I love Grace and she is right. Fun has to be at the top, but winning helps it be more fun. Some girls want to win the 1 v1 competitions early on in their youth careers. Let's just face it, if you're losing all the time, that sucks. So, some leagues should only be about fun, halftime snacks, bday parties and just fun. Keep no score or league standings. I will say the stupidest thing that dumb GDA league did was make our 2004 age group first year without playoffs or standings. It was billed as, "it's about development only and selling pay for play 25% goateed starts to rich parents and not about winning." WFT???? My kid was coming off a National Championship and was looking for the repeat and then was told to "Stand Down" in 8th grade. You can't mentally do that to winners, MOO!

EQ >IQ= Emotional Control needs to be the highest thing Elite athletes have no Disrespect Coach Dave might have been correct.
ADHD is real dude and some kids are emotional. Coach Dave was a complete asshole. He later lost his wife because he yelled and screamed at his two sons all the time and wanted them in the big leagues. I did hear he also drank a lot. Karma is real Hodari.

Good correction Luis. I love Grace and she is right. Fun has to be at the top, but winning helps it be more fun. Some girls want to win the 1 v1 competitions early on in their youth careers. Let's just face it, if you're losing all the time, that sucks. So, some leagues should only be about fun, halftime snacks, bday parties and just fun. Keep no score or league standings. I will say the stupidest thing that dumb GDA league did was make our 2004 age group first year without playoffs or standings. It was billed as, "it's about development only and selling pay for play 25% goateed starts to rich parents and not about winning." WFT???? My kid was coming off a National Championship and was looking for the repeat and then was told to "Stand Down" in 8th grade. You can't mentally do that to winners, MOO!

Wow :oops: The growth and development of a player, especially in their formative years, is of paramount importance. While your goat has indeed been through a myriad of experiences, both winning and losing, it's the long-term development that truly matters. As she grows older, it's clear that personal growth and skills development should be prioritized over mere winning.

For my DD the Blues have indeed played a significant role in shaping her into a resilient and hardworking individual player, instilling in her values of determination and mental strength to playing with proper workrate. While it's commendable, the role of all pay to play clubs shouldn't end there. From the age of 8 to 13, she honed her technical abilities primarily through my guidance, and this serves as a testament to the fact that under the pay-to-play system prevalent in the USA, the onus largely falls on parents and private trainers to mold a player technically.

However, as she navigates the ages of 13 to 16, it's imperative to focus on mental agility, strategy, and soccer IQ. This is where the system in the USA, particularly the pay-to-play model, seems to falter. It's disheartening to note after observing the ECNL playoffs in Virginia this past u13 season, that there's a stunted growth in the IQ development of players. At 16, they should be showcasing advanced tactical understanding and decision-making abilities, comparable to their European counterparts. Instead, they seem to be at par with 13-year-olds, with the only difference being their physical prowess.

In essence, while physicality is an essential facet of the game, it should not overshadow the critical aspect of game intelligence development. It's high time we re-evaluate our development model and focus on creating not just physically adept players, but intellectually agile ones too.

Back