SOCAL KID BREAKS RECORD

Jared actually seems knowledgable and ahead of the curve in terms of his understanding of the youth soccer landscape. Props to him. That said, people have got to stop with the phenom/future of soccer BS for little kids; it's like a mental disease here.

"What about Freddy Adu?"
"Freddy who?"
"Exactly."

This is exactly my take. He seems capable of dissecting the issues with youth soccer in the US, but takes a massive 180 degree turn on this front. I just don't get it. In the video he mentions he doesn't like to deal with crazy US soccer parents (or something like that), yet his actions with this UPSL move seem to make him even crazier. I'd almost get it if his son was leaps and bounds better than what you see at all of the top teams across the US. I'm just not seeing it. It just feels like a marketing ploy -- perhaps to get his and his son's name out there. In fact, Jared is probably loving it we're even talking about it here. I just feel bad for the kid.

I'm definitely not an expert in this. We're just starting to try to figure out for ourselves what's allowed and what isn't. It looks like players can get _some_ compensation as long as it is just covering "costs to participate":

If that's the deal the kid has, then I guess he should be okay, but that doesn't seem any different from a fully-funded academy.

It's still too early to see the results of the NIL rules and their obvious opportunities for what would have been seen as rule violations in the past.

Jared actually seems knowledgable and ahead of the curve in terms of his understanding of the youth soccer landscape. Props to him. That said, people have got to stop with the phenom/future of soccer BS for little kids; it's like a mental disease here.

"What about Freddy Adu?"
"Freddy who?"
"Exactly."
I was at the game in San Diego where Freddy Adu got his first chance to play on the MNT, coming in as a sub in a game against Sweden (I think it was Sweden). All I remember is that he quickly got a yellow card.

**Late edit -- it was Canada, not Sweden

Last edited:
This one belongs under this topic:

The NWSL framework looks like a good deal for young players --

Additionally, the NWSL has introduced a new entry mechanism for players under the age of 18 wishing to enter the league. With the consent of the player and their parent or legal guardian, teams may place eligible players on an Under-18 Entry List to be selected under the following criteria:
  • Each team is limited to two Under-18 players between its senior roster and the Entry List;
  • Players must be signed to a guaranteed contract within 30 days of being placed on the list and the contract term must run through the season in which the player turns 18;
  • Players will occupy a full roster spot;
  • Players may be placed on or called up from the list at any time during the season;
  • Players may not be waived or traded until the player has turned 18 or the team has received consent from both the player and parent or legal guardian;
  • Players may not be selected in the expansion process;
  • Players must reside with a parent or legal guardian until their 18th birthday;
  • Players must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States.

National Women's Soccer League Announces 2023 NWSL Draft, Presented by Ally, To Be Held At 2023 United Soccer Coaches Convention Thursday, January 12, 2023 In Philadelphia | National Women's Soccer League (nwslsoccer.com)

So just so I understand the rules now… we just changed college recruiting rules so no college coach could talk to a player until June after their sophomore year of high school ( so basically after they had turned 16) but they can be recruited and sign a professional contract at any age? Just wanted to make sure I got it straight. They are too you to decide on a college to go to but they are certainly old enough to make a decision to give that up and play professionally for about $30,000 a year contract.

So just so I understand the rules now… we just changed college recruiting rules so no college coach could talk to a player until June after their sophomore year of high school ( so basically after they had turned 16) but they can be recruited and sign a professional contract at any age? Just wanted to make sure I got it straight. They are too you to decide on a college to go to but they are certainly old enough to make a decision to give that up and play professionally for about $30,000 a year contract.
The NCAA rules were not established to protect young players. Their objective is to protect the colleges from each other.

I was at the game in San Diego where Freddy Adu got his first chance to play on the MNT, coming in as a sub in a game against Sweden (I think it was Sweden). All I remember is that he quickly got a yellow card.

**Late edit -- it was Canada, not Sweden
Seems as good a time as any to tell my Freddy Adu story. I was at the MetroStars game where he scored his first professional goal. There was so much hype about him that a buzz went through the stadium when he started warming up to come on as a sub. He had an incredible charisma. You couldn't take your eyes off of him and when he came on, it felt like one of those highlight cams that focus on one player the entire match. He scored and everyone cheered even though we were at the Meadowlands.

In retrospect, it's clear that all that buzz and charisma was from the hype. Would anyone have even noticed him if he weren't the vaunted Freddy Adu? Probably not. He did have a lot of energy, but so do a lot of players and often those with an overabundance of energy are making up for technical deficiencies.

Over the years as a soccer dad, I've thought about that game a lot. If you asked anyone in the crowd they would have said Adu was the best player they'd ever seen. But, of course, he wasn't. It's just that people wanted him to be that good. And I see the same thing at the youth level. A kid comes into a team with some buzz ("he played for LAFC...!" "He plays for the Someplace youth national team...!") and everyone sees him as better. He "catches the eye" and you notice the good things and dismiss the mistakes as needing time to get used to the team. They get the benefit of the doubt. But a kid can come in from a lower team with no hype and be just as good or better, and not get that benefit. People only see their mistakes and discount the good stuff as luck.

And to bring this back to the current thread. That's what I see happening with a lot of the parents who get their kids early pro contracts. They're creating the buzz that makes people think their kids are better than they really are. And, honestly, good for them. There are so many good, but not great soccer players in the world that you need a way to stand out.

It's a little bit different. Going professional allows saves money from club, travel, training and gear fees as that's all paid by the NWSL team. It's probably a saving of 10 to 15K a year, amounting to a payment of 50K a year. Going pro gives talented kids that are solely focused on soccer, a chance to focus solely on soccer and not as much on school, admission process, and the college recruiting process.

It's a different path for different individuals and I'm glad dedicated 15 year old girls are getting paid for pursuing the dreams rather than have to worry about school and cost of club, travel and trainings. Boys are able to do this already in MLS and other professional leagues.

NCAA and NWSL should amend the rules though to
1. Allow a one time eligibility return to NCAA before their 19th birthday AND
2. The NWSL contract can be terminated if a player chooses to return to NCAA before their 19th birthday.

Seems as good a time as any to tell my Freddy Adu story. I was at the MetroStars game where he scored his first professional goal. There was so much hype about him that a buzz went through the stadium when he started warming up to come on as a sub. He had an incredible charisma. You couldn't take your eyes off of him and when he came on, it felt like one of those highlight cams that focus on one player the entire match. He scored and everyone cheered even though we were at the Meadowlands.

In retrospect, it's clear that all that buzz and charisma was from the hype. Would anyone have even noticed him if he weren't the vaunted Freddy Adu? Probably not. He did have a lot of energy, but so do a lot of players and often those with an overabundance of energy are making up for technical deficiencies.

Over the years as a soccer dad, I've thought about that game a lot. If you asked anyone in the crowd they would have said Adu was the best player they'd ever seen. But, of course, he wasn't. It's just that people wanted him to be that good. And I see the same thing at the youth level. A kid comes into a team with some buzz ("he played for LAFC...!" "He plays for the Someplace youth national team...!") and everyone sees him as better. He "catches the eye" and you notice the good things and dismiss the mistakes as needing time to get used to the team. They get the benefit of the doubt. But a kid can come in from a lower team with no hype and be just as good or better, and not get that benefit. People only see their mistakes and discount the good stuff as luck.

And to bring this back to the current thread. That's what I see happening with a lot of the parents who get their kids early pro contracts. They're creating the buzz that makes people think their kids are better than they really are. And, honestly, good for them. There are so many good, but not great soccer players in the world that you need a way to stand out.

I think this is a solid post. In the case of Freddie and this 15-year old girl, the U.S. needs that kind of hype. Pulisic hype. Beckham hype. Ibra hype. Unfortunately it will probably be at this girl's expense, but the game needs this. Reminds me of Mallory Pugh. When she was first on scene, greatest thing ever. Blowing past everyone like The Flash. Then I saw her a few years later. Couldn't figure out why she wasn't standing out anymore. Then it occurred to me... she finally grew into her "woman" body and leveled the playing field. Fortunately she's had great success but for every Mallory... I think there will be other casualties and when the family Facebook post ages poorly, like all of us have seen so many times, you just hope there's a happier ending for these kids and they aren't just marketing pawns.

Pretty sure college has never been in the equation. With elite boys is it ever?
In soccer??? If they are truly elite meaning usmnt superstars (and assuming they can get around the immigration barriers), the elite are playing in academies in Europe or Mexico At worst you are a marquee player at a us academy and have been flagged at an early age for Hgp status and have been taken off the usual eval procedures (ie you aren’t subject to cut)

otherwise assume you are lucky enough to get picked for Hgp status because you are a lucky surprise in your development. You are looking at $65000 contract base pay in the mls. You might if you are in demand enough get that bumped to the low $100s if some tam money is thrown your way. And that s assuming you aren’t doing Galaxy ii or some lower level league. Big money in Jamaica and El Salvador. Unionized school teachers with several years tenure make more in california.

anything less than Europe Mexico or a marquee pick at the mls academies and you are rolling the dice including with risk of injury, which means you aren’t doing it for the money or career but for love of the game. Because in comparison to a stem degree with college soccer, it’s a piss poor choice. And we were just talking in the other thread how dangerous it is for transgendered kids parents to make a choice for them before 18. While not the same, parents taking this roll of the dice are potentially driving their kid to financial suicide for the rest of their lives for the roll of the dice. It’s a permanent long impacting choice.

In soccer??? If they are truly elite meaning usmnt superstars (and assuming they can get around the immigration barriers), the elite are playing in academies in Europe or Mexico At worst you are a marquee player at a us academy and have been flagged at an early age for Hgp status and have been taken off the usual eval procedures (ie you aren’t subject to cut)

otherwise assume you are lucky enough to get picked for Hgp status because you are a lucky surprise in your development. You are looking at $65000 contract base pay in the mls. You might if you are in demand enough get that bumped to the low $100s if some tam money is thrown your way. And that s assuming you aren’t doing Galaxy ii or some lower level league. Big money in Jamaica and El Salvador. Unionized school teachers with several years tenure make more in california.

anything less than Europe Mexico or a marquee pick at the mls academies and you are rolling the dice including with risk of injury, which means you aren’t doing it for the money or career but for love of the game. Because in comparison to a stem degree with college soccer, it’s a piss poor choice. And we were just talking in the other thread how dangerous it is for transgendered kids parents to make a choice for them before 18. While not the same, parents taking this roll of the dice are potentially driving their kid to financial suicide for the rest of their lives for the roll of the dice. It’s a permanent long impacting choice.
Ps either 1 of 2 things is happening with the op. I get he doesn’t want to put his kid in the club soccer system because he doesn’t think it develops but why is this move then rational. Two possibilities: 1) they have an immigration issue (no European or Mexican eligibility) so going direct to Europe isn’t a possibility so they hope the kid makes waves and a European academy makes it happen and his objection to the club system extends to the mls academies (so both he and sv are essentially using each other for short term marketing), or 2) his kid got a hard pass from Galaxy and lafc (maybe due to the difficulties issues he talks about or maybe because he isn’t yet good enough not having been through the puberty lottery or because of politics) and either the other academies also passed or they can’t move. Either ways it’s a huge roll of the dice and would require the kid making a huge impact against adult players right out of the box.

…….Boys are able to do this already in MLS and other professional leagues.

NCAA and NWSL should amend the rules though to
1. Allow a one time eligibility return to NCAA before their 19th birthday AND
2. The NWSL contract can be terminated if a player chooses to return to NCAA before their 19th birthday.
Not sure I understand why the NCAA should do that? You can’t be a paid professional athlete in any sport and still have eligibility. Why would they make a substantive change like that? For what purpose? If you are mature enough to make that decision to go pro then you should be responsible for your decisions. Also, just don’t understand the argument of bringing in what happens with males and the MLS. The salary and future earning potential is beyond significantly different. I would not have any objection to a 14 or 15 year old female going pro if the contracts and earning potential was the same as it is for Mens’s sports but it isn’t the same.

It should be. You can't know at 12 how elite someone might (or might not) be. The puberty lottery hasn't been held yet.

I agree, just stating that I'm pretty sure this guys dad is not thinking about college with these decisions and press releases, and thus he sees his kid as an elite talent. Less so in the US obviously becuase of college soccer, but globally its safe to say elite boys are not thinking about NCAA eligibility

Probaby just means they end up as a soccer coach when/if soccer career doesn't work out, the cycle continues

I agree, just stating that I'm pretty sure this guys dad is not thinking about college with these decisions and press releases, and thus he sees his kid as an elite talent. Less so in the US obviously becuase of college soccer, but globally its safe to say elite boys are not thinking about NCAA eligibility
Globally the elite boys are mostly in the academy systems. The cut rate is very severe and there are articles online about the harshness of the up or out system. Many use US colleges as a fallback (since they are required to go off the academic tracks in their home countries), and the academies try to be careful not to mislead them about professional contracts at 16, when that decision typically has to be made. That said, there are players that wind up stuck.

Back