So.Cal Youth Soccer Mecca

INFAMEE

SILVER ELITE
Iceland is roughly the size of Southern California yet is able to discover and cultivate it's talent.

If So.Cal is United States youth soccer Mecca how is it possible that their U17 USMNT doesn't roster players from it's region?

When the teams coaches, scouts, connections are more on the east coast, mid America you tend to go with who's "connected" more.

Iceland is roughly the size of Southern California yet is able to discover and cultivate it's talent.

If So.Cal is United States youth soccer Mecca how is it possible that their U17 USMNT doesn't roster players from it's region?

Mecca is terms of quantity, not quality.

It's part of US Soccer's problem with finding and evaluating talent. I don't know if they evaluated any West Coast talent. I think there is slightly longer history of soccer in the South East and Midwest, with more notable coaches in that region. They probably go with what they know.

Case in point

DKVyWCCXcAAVSnK.jpg

It's part of US Soccer's problem with finding and evaluating talent. I don't know if they evaluated any West Coast talent. I think there is slightly longer history of soccer in the South East and Midwest, with more notable coaches in that region. They probably go with what they know.
Going “with what they know”. Taken directly from the Bruce Arena Scouting Handbook, 2006 edition. Only available in old, tired, used book stores. Part of why US Soccer is in this mess to begin with.

There should be some rostered players from our area for sure. But let's not be so bold as to say a full SoCal roster would do better than what the team did. If you truly believe this then you have some huge blind spots.

That is a crazy graphic. So in that age group do we not have the players? Or are they not getting developed? Or is there a true bias?

Back