Small Sided Games...Changes?

Because of course the integrity of the game is more important than brain development. I do not agree with the way the heading ban was instituted, but I am glad that they have at least done something.

To say they have "done something" implies that the current program will have make real difference to the situation as it was before.

I doubt it.

Unless by "done something" you are recognizing the collapsed before the threat of a lawsuit.

I am undecided on the header rules. The vast majority of concussions that I have seen did not come from heading the ball. They were the result of collisions with other players and contact with the ground as result of collisions with other players. The only way to stop them would be to ban contact which in my opinion would ruin the game.

Even banning contact wouldn't help much. We had a girl get hit in the head with a driven ball from about 10 feet away. She wasn't trying to use her head. But the ball did know know that. She was out 2 weeks with a concussion.

I am undecided on the header rules. The vast majority of concussions that I have seen did not come from heading the ball. They were the result of collisions with other players and contact with the ground as result of collisions with other players. The only way to stop them would be to ban contact which in my opinion would ruin the game.

You would also have to ban contact with the ground and contact with goal posts. And you would have to decide what the ban would look like on free kicks - do you penalize the kid who is hit in the head while standing in a 1-yard wall? or the kicker?

Perhaps helmets or scrum caps are the answer. Hope it doesn't come to that but in our "make everything safe" society it may come to that.

Who said concussions are the only issue? There is mounting evidence that repeated, sub-concussion impacts are not a good thing. Until we know better, what is wrong with taking a conservative approach with the youngers? As I have said, I would have implemented this differently, but at least they are trying.

Who said concussions are the only issue? There is mounting evidence that repeated, sub-concussion impacts are not a good thing. Until we know better, what is wrong with taking a conservative approach with the youngers? As I have said, I would have implemented this differently, but at least they are trying.

Let's just ban all kicks that rise higher than shoulder height. In the event of such a kick, the ball is placed at the point where the kick was taken, indirect free kick for the opponents, with all the goal area and build-out line exceptions you can stand.

In case you think I am serious --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcastaball

what is wrong with taking a conservative approach with the youngers?

That's what I said last year too, but the problem is: what is "the conservative approach". With the implementation of these rules I'm seeing WAY more high kicks than last year and that combined with referees who refuse to call blatant fouls is going to cause way more injuries.

With the implementation of these rules I'm seeing WAY more high kicks than last year and that combined with referees who refuse to call blatant fouls is going to cause way more injuries.

Are you saying that there are actual Kicking Fouls occurring (due to "WAY more high kicks") but no calls? Contact from player's boot to opponent's head? Or you are saying that you think there is Dangerous Play occurring but the referees don't agree? Not all "High Kicks" are Dangerous Play. (Most aren't.) BTW, I'm not seeing this (players attempting to kick the ball above the waist) as much as I'd expected in the club games I watch or the AYSO games I referee.

Or are you talking about completely different "blatant fouls" that referees "refuse to call"?

Are you saying that there are actual Kicking Fouls occurring (due to "WAY more high kicks") but no calls? Contact from player's boot to opponent's head? Or you are saying that you think there is Dangerous Play occurring but the referees don't agree? Not all "High Kicks" are Dangerous Play. (Most aren't.) BTW, I'm not seeing this (players attempting to kick the ball above the waist) as much as I'd expected in the club games I watch or the AYSO games I referee.

Or are you talking about completely different "blatant fouls" that referees "refuse to call"?

After I posted I thought that might not read quite right. I believe I'm seeing more high kicks that I would call dangerous as most are happening within the attacking third. Is there a mechanism being used to track statistics on concussion and other injuries before and after these rule changes?

After I posted I thought that might not read quite right. I believe I'm seeing more high kicks that I would call dangerous as most are happening within the attacking third. Is there a mechanism being used to track statistics on concussion and other injuries before and after these rule changes?
Concussions are not the only issue. Repeated, sub-concussive blows may also be damaging, especially to young developing brains.

Our referee this week for an SCDSL game was enforcing offsides from the half-line. When the parents questioned it, another referee who had just finished his game was on the sideline. He said that the referees had been informed about two weeks into the season to start enforcing offsides at the half-line, not the build-out line, to limit confusion. Can anyone confirm?

Our referee this week for an SCDSL game was enforcing offsides from the half-line. When the parents questioned it, another referee who had just finished his game was on the sideline. He said that the referees had been informed about two weeks into the season to start enforcing offsides at the half-line, not the build-out line, to limit confusion. Can anyone confirm?

UPDATED 9/15/16. The build out line will NOT be used to denote or determine offside. Normal offside rules will apply and are not tied to the build out line.

http://www.scdslsoccer.com/docs/SCDSL Rules_2016Update.pdf.pdf

Is the Coast League using the build out line and no heading rule for 06's and up? If not will these new rules apply in State Cup and doesn't this place CSL teams at a disadvantage if they have not been accustomed to playing under these requirements.

Is the Coast League using the build out line and no heading rule for 06's and up? If not will these new rules apply in State Cup and doesn't this place CSL teams at a disadvantage if they have not been accustomed to playing under these requirements.

Coast isn't using build out lines at 06. I have the same question about state cup. I don't think it's a disadvantage and even if it were it's better for development so put it in place in whatever tournament you'd like.

Everyone knows the heading rule changed due to a lawsuit? What is interesting is this quote "According to the original filing in the case, nearly 50,000 high school soccer players sustained concussions in 2010 — more players than in baseball, basketball, softball and wrestling combined." Since the change didn't affect High School Soccer, how did the changes address this issue?

Since I have a 2005 kid that plays club and AYSO, I've noticed a couple things. AYSO went with the rules this year, so no heading. Club still allowing heading. I've noticed a few more high kicks in AYSO compared to club as the girls haven't come up with an alternative way of playing the ball.

Everyone knows the heading rule changed due to a lawsuit? What is interesting is this quote "According to the original filing in the case, nearly 50,000 high school soccer players sustained concussions in 2010 — more players than in baseball, basketball, softball and wrestling combined." Since the change didn't affect High School Soccer, how did the changes address this issue?

Since I have a 2005 kid that plays club and AYSO, I've noticed a couple things. AYSO went with the rules this year, so no heading. Club still allowing heading. I've noticed a few more high kicks in AYSO compared to club as the girls haven't come up with an alternative way of playing the ball.

Not stated in that statistic is that the majority of concussions suffered by soccer players did not occur while heading the ball.

Thanks. The biggest problem right now with the build out line play is the inconsistency with refs knowing the rule. While it may help with development it only works when the refs properly manage and enforce the manner in which it is intended to be used.

AYSO went with the rules this year, so no heading. Club still allowing heading.
The rules impact all 2006s/11Us, and since AYSO U12s include 2006s it impacts their U12s. U12 Extra plays with headers, but U11 Extra does not (no headers).

Back