Small Sided Games...Changes?

I stumbled across a US Soccer Powerpoint regarding the small sided initiatives dated August 2016. In this presentation the field sizes recommended for the small sided games are significantly larger that what was initially stated. For example, US Soccer originally said 47 yards long and 30 yards wide for 7v7 games. In this presentation it said 7v7 fields should be 55-65 yards long and 35-45 wide. That's 37%-107% larger than originally recommended. That's great news after the debacle of the tiny fields at Surf Cup. Hopefully these new standards will be communicated to CalSouth.

Another interesting wrinkle is that the new offsides line will be the buildout line. So no offsides between the halfway line and the buildout line.

I can't seem to link the PDF of the Powerpoint but if you google "us soccer small sided standards" you should get the result below which will allow you to download the PDF.

[PDF]2016 US Soccer - US Youth Soccer
https://www.usyouthsoccer.org/FileDownload.aspx?D...3O...

According to this PDF the build-out line should only be in effect for 7v7 games, correct? My daughter played in a 9v9 U11 game today and it was a complete clusterf***. They played on the same field as the 7v7 games (that's fine) but then the referee had it in his head that he had to enforce the build-out line with no keeper punts. Then there was confusion as to when the defending team could rush in and pressure the ball. This went on OVER AND OVER AND OVER throughout the game.

Even worse, they went to the field marshall at halftime to get clarification, and it was more of the same crap. SCDSL by the way.

Happened in Vegas too. I saw a u9 coach ask the referee time move the girls out of the build out area. The ref ignored him so he said louder "Sir they are in the build out area." The ref pulled the coach onto the field yelling at him it is a foul line area and to be quiet or he would be sent off. The coach walked back saying it is still a build out area. The ref gave him another warning. At half time the ref pulled out both coaches and advised them it was a build out area. Can you imagine getting ejected for advising the ref of the proper rules based on US Soccer Initiatives.

I reffed a boys u9 AYSO extra game this morning. Keeper punts are allowed, but there is supposed to be a build out line. No build out line drawn on the field.
Talked to both coaches pre-game.
On goal kicks, the opposing team had to be behind the center referee (me). Once the ball crossed the 18, it was free for either team to play it.
I called it on both teams once.
Not really a big deal. It gives weaker teams a bit more of a chance to play the ball out on a goal kick. But -neither team played the ball sideways to try and build up at all. They just tried to boot it up field.
Hopefully teams adjust and figure out how to use the extra space.

It's a joke and has been that way all tournament and now starting league season. Many ref's don't bother to read tourney or league rules. We are playing up at 9v9 just to avoid playing the 7v7 cluster. Nevertheless, the ref still allowed headers and only did 25 minute halves not the 30 min required. (not complaining about the heading...just not the rules). Its been Ref Rule Roulette all year.

Although not the ref's fault, the field was also 11v11 size.

Can you imagine getting ejected for advising the ref of the proper rules based on US Soccer Initiatives.

Happened last week at a tournament, both coaches were tossed arguing that heading was allowed in tournament which it was. Tourney officials did the right thing and reinstated coaches for next game.

According to this PDF the build-out line should only be in effect for 7v7 games, correct? My daughter played in a 9v9 U11 game today and it was a complete clusterf***. They played on the same field as the 7v7 games (that's fine) but then the referee had it in his head that he had to enforce the build-out line with no keeper punts. Then there was confusion as to when the defending team could rush in and pressure the ball. This went on OVER AND OVER AND OVER throughout the game.

Even worse, they went to the field marshall at halftime to get clarification, and it was more of the same crap. SCDSL by the way.

The PDF is US Soccer's 'Recommendation." SCDSL has introduced build-out-line for the season, at all ages 2006 and below. Only time will tell whether it's a good or bad thing for the players.

The PDF is US Soccer's 'Recommendation." SCDSL has introduced build-out-line for the season, at all ages 2006 and below. Only time will tell whether it's a good or bad thing for the players.

Saw the first game today with the build out line. I predict this will be a one and done year with this nonsense. All I see is cherry picking coming soon. Plus, it's pretty easy to defend the roll out, period. Seemed the littles that played decent ball all summer, suddenly went backwards today. Maybe time will prove me wrong. I sure hope so.

Saw the first game today with the build out line. I predict this will be a one and done year with this nonsense. All I see is cherry picking coming soon. Plus, it's pretty easy to defend the roll out, period. Seemed the littles that played decent ball all summer, suddenly went backwards today. Maybe time will prove me wrong. I sure hope so.
Cherry picking?

Don't evade the question. Say what you mean.

Not evading at all.

"7v7 Build Out Line - The build out line will also be used to denote where offside offenses can be called. Players cannot be penalized for an offside offense between the halfway line and the build out line. Players can be penalized for an offside offense between the build out line and goal line." per USSF

So.....what do you think coaches and players will do when they eventually figure out all these changes?

Not evading at all.

"7v7 Build Out Line - The build out line will also be used to denote where offside offenses can be called. Players cannot be penalized for an offside offense between the halfway line and the build out line. Players can be penalized for an offside offense between the build out line and goal line." per USSF

So.....what do you think coaches and players will do when they eventually figure out all these changes?

I don't see much more "cherry-picking" there than there was before.

Lol. If they're worth anything, they'll teach their kids to play properly.

Look. The rules are there to open up the game and keep it moving. If there's no offsides, the kids can break pressure by passing in behind the defense.

Additionally, as defenses sag off to defend kids behind them, it allows more space.to play possession.

I'd love to see what a good group of.l kids would do a team that was "cherry picking". It'd be hilarious.

Look. The rules are there to open up the game and keep it moving. If there's no offsides, the kids can break pressure by passing in behind the defense.

Additionally, as defenses sag off to defend kids behind them, it allows more space.to play possession.

I'd love to see what a good group of.l kids would do a team that was "cherry picking". It'd be hilarious.

You are assuming coaches will work on this aspect. They are quickly under pressure and there is no movement option on these small fields. They go up line or boot it. Depends not the team. The "space" you are speaking is so small, get real. Trust me. Give it 2 months. Cherry pick central. Maybe not at 08, but def at 06.

Last edited:

My kids' rec league decided not to enforce offside until the half-way point of the season a few years ago. That just delayed the date of the confusion.

You are assuming coaches will work on this aspect. They are quickly under pressure and there is no movement option on these small fields. They go up line or boot it. Depends not the team. The "space" you are speaking is so small, get real. Trust me. Give it 2 months. Cherry pick central. Maybe not at 08, but def at 06.

'06s don't have the rule.

Kids that are booting it will boot it regardless. No one cares how the crap teams play.

'06s don't have the rule.

Kids that are booting it will boot it regardless. No one cares how the crap teams play.

These rules affect all. Crap teams or not. I'm not sure how anyone can validate the new offside rule. It confuses all the players and coaches. So then we have to retrain and teach them in a year or two. Stupid!

Back