Silverlakes in hot water?

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm so fed up with people complaining about parking fees.

They can usually be avoided if you want by parking off-site or carpooling. If the parking fees were eliminated, they'd just jack the prices up by $200 per team, and nobody could avoid it. I'm a referee, could show my card and almost certainly park for free every time if I felt like being a cheat, and I don't. I'm happy to pay to keep the nice fields at Silverlakes or Oceanside. I don't care that my car gets dirty, either, since it usually is.

I just ran a report. I spent $4,919.91 in the last 12 months on sports for 2 kids, and one child is just high school, so that is pretty cheap. My daughter's club is probably in the lower 1/2 as far a registration and stuff goes. I don't usually count gas, and we drove probably about 8,000 miles in that period of time (no lie). That amount doesn't include parking because I usually pay cash and am pretty lazy about accounting for my cash expenditures. Why the hell would I care about a couple hundred in parking when I spend over 25 times that on everything else? I know a lot of people pay more than my family does.

Silverlakes charges for walk-in's. Either way, I don't mind paying.

I am trying to remember the name of the fields in Temecula. They were west of the 15 sandwiched between a low ridge and the freeway. The fields were strung lengthwise one after another and parking was in a single row along the edge. Due to the arrangement you could walk almost 2/5 of a mile to your field. The road was dirt and very uneven and due to the parking arrangement there was no where to loop area or turn around easily and thus tons of traffic. The fields were a mess because they knew they were going to be developed into homes eventually and thus did not keep them up. By far the dirtiest portapotties which were generally on even dirt. Plus the area was not that developed yet and so there were not many places to eat or take the wife to the bathroom. I believe they charged for parking but I did not complain because it was better than going to Lancaster.

I am trying to remember the name of the fields in Temecula. They were west of the 15 sandwiched between a low ridge and the freeway. The fields were strung lengthwise one after another and parking was in a single row along the edge. Due to the arrangement you could walk almost 2/5 of a mile to your field. The road was dirt and very uneven and due to the parking arrangement there was no where to loop area or turn around easily and thus tons of traffic. The fields were a mess because they knew they were going to be developed into homes eventually and thus did not keep them up. By far the dirtiest portapotties which were generally on even dirt. Plus the area was not that developed yet and so there were not many places to eat or take the wife to the bathroom. I believe they charged for parking but I did not complain because it was better than going to Lancaster.
John Blanch

Thank you I would never have remembered that. Your boy is probably too young to have played there? A horrible place thanks mostly due to the traffic flow and mud.

John Blanch sucked but at least it was not Lancaster. There were some epic mud and flooded field games there. Those fields almost never closed. I worked State Cup games there in 2005-07 timeframe and there was torrential rain and the games continued even with 6-12 inches of water on some fields that quickly turned to mud. I got yelled at by a Cal South official because for the second game I and my referee team deemed my field too dangerous to play on after we had numerous injuries during the first game. I was also one of the smart ones that parked on the paved street outside of the complex. The tow trucks were making a killing pulling cars out of the muddy parking lot.

John Blanch sucked but at least it was not Lancaster. There were some epic mud and flooded field games there. Those fields almost never closed. I worked State Cup games there in 2005-07 timeframe and there was torrential rain and the games continued even with 6-12 inches of water on some fields that quickly turned to mud. I got yelled at by a Cal South official because for the second game I and my referee team deemed my field too dangerous to play on after we had numerous injuries during the first game. I was also one of the smart ones that parked on the paved street outside of the complex. The tow trucks were making a killing pulling cars out of the muddy parking lot.

At every entrance to those fields, there were little warning signs on metal posts. I don't remember the exact words, but the content was that those fields were spreading grounds for surplus reclaimed water generated by the sewage treatment plant next door.

It looks like most of the land now is taken up by a solar power array.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...aacc8c54d00ef!8m2!3d33.5191987!4d-117.1776172

Ha! I probably waded by you during one of those games. I never complained because it was not Lancaster but seeing what we have now is no comparison. Completely worth the parking fee.

I don’t have an issue with paying the parking fees. What frustrates me more and more are that a lot of these tournaments are “stay to play” and these hotels jack up the rates for tournament weekends. I’ve stayed at these hotels a few times on non tournament weekends and have paid a lot less for the same room. They jack up the rate around $50 and then give the team a “discount” of $20 for booking as a group.

I imagine the tournament is getting a cut of the hotel revenue too.

I don’t have an issue with paying the parking fees. What frustrates me more and more are that a lot of these tournaments are “stay to play” and these hotels jack up the rates for tournament weekends. I’ve stayed at these hotels a few times on non tournament weekends and have paid a lot less for the same room. They jack up the rate around $50 and then give the team a “discount” of $20 for booking as a group.

I imagine the tournament is getting a cut of the hotel revenue too.
Don't imagine, that is exactly how it works

Don't imagine, that is exactly how it works

The Springhill Suites on the weekend of Surf Cup (8/4-8/6) runs at a rate of $319/nt before any team “discounts”. We haven’t booked our team’s stay yet but I imagine our discount will put us around the $260/nt rate.

The Springhill Suites on the July 4th weekend (7/6-7/8) runs at a rate of $260/nt.

The Springhill Suites on a random summer peak weekend (8/25-8/27) runs at a rate of $209/nt.

And guess what, that happens to be one of the “official” stay to play hotels. A $110/nt markup.

The Springhill Suites on the weekend of Surf Cup (8/4-8/6) runs at a rate of $319/nt before any team “discounts”. We haven’t booked our team’s stay yet but I imagine our discount will put us around the $260/nt rate.

The Springhill Suites on the July 4th weekend (7/6-7/8) runs at a rate of $260/nt.

The Springhill Suites on a random summer peak weekend (8/25-8/27) runs at a rate of $209/nt.

And guess what, that happens to be one of the “official” stay to play hotels. A $110/nt markup.

Hotel rooms are a commodity and rise/fall in price based on demand. During large events that attract travelers, almost every hotel will raise their rates to whatever the market clearing price is. In San Diego, the Surf Cup represents an additional infusion of approximately 5,500 Hotel Room Nights during that week/end and in 2016 was the 2nd largest hotel demand event in San Diego. All the hotels in the area are raising their rates because the demand.

Stay to Play creates an artificial demand, which allows the contracted hotels to raise their rates even further. Those hotels that are part of the Stay-To-Play block either share a percentage of the hotel fee with the tournament or provide free rooms, meeting facilities, etc. to the tournament. The typical kick back is 15% of the hotel room price. Hotels make up for the kick back by raising their prices for that weekend by about 30-40% and sometimes higher so they can cover the kickback/free rooms and make an additional profit after the "team discount."

If you want expensive hotel prices, try getting a hotel room anywhere near downtown San Diego or Mission Valley/Bay during Comic Con week. The availability is slim to none and the prices are outrageous. All three SD soccer tournaments that weekend are north of I-8 so they will not be impacted. From what I have heard, Sporting SD should be a good tournament this year.

sorry, driving 1 -2 hours each way, $10 for parking, for one game - irritating. It is one thing to pay for parking if you are going to be there all day for a tournament but to pay that for one league game in my opinion is not right. Most pay over $10,000 per year for club soccer - $2500 average per child is dirt cheap.
And if you carpooled, you'd pay 1/2 that.

Only 1 kid plays club soccer so I'd say 90% of our sports expenses are associated to the 1. One big expense I left out is hotel stays. I put that under regular travel, not sport costs. That would probably add about another 2k over the last 12 months.

If you want expensive hotel prices, try getting a hotel room anywhere near downtown San Diego or Mission Valley/Bay during Comic Con week. The availability is slim to none and the prices are outrageous. All three SD soccer tournaments that weekend are north of I-8 so they will not be impacted. From what I have heard, Sporting SD should be a good tournament this year.
I was married on comic-con weekend. My wife and I wanted to stay in our new apartment on the wedding night, but at the last minute it wasn't ready. We couldn't find a hotel anywhere in the larger metropolitan area, at least at our price. We ended up on an air mattress on a carpet pad in the almost finished apartment.

Back