Silverlakes in hot water?

We pay thousands for our kids to play club soccer but complain about the cost of parking to maintain one of the best facilities in so cal?

I'll gladly pay Disneyland parking prices to keep this gem open and the grass green.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm so fed up with people complaining about parking fees.

They can usually be avoided if you want by parking off-site or carpooling. If the parking fees were eliminated, they'd just jack the prices up by $200 per team, and nobody could avoid it. I'm a referee, could show my card and almost certainly park for free every time if I felt like being a cheat, and I don't. I'm happy to pay to keep the nice fields at Silverlakes or Oceanside. I don't care that my car gets dirty, either, since it usually is.

I just ran a report. I spent $4,919.91 in the last 12 months on sports for 2 kids, and one child is just high school, so that is pretty cheap. My daughter's club is probably in the lower 1/2 as far a registration and stuff goes. I don't usually count gas, and we drove probably about 8,000 miles in that period of time (no lie). That amount doesn't include parking because I usually pay cash and am pretty lazy about accounting for my cash expenditures. Why the hell would I care about a couple hundred in parking when I spend over 25 times that on everything else? I know a lot of people pay more than my family does.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm so fed up with people complaining about parking fees.

If the parking fees were eliminated, they'd just jack the prices up by $200 per team, and nobody could avoid it. ...

You are close. The average team is good for about 12-13 cars, depending on age group and gender (13 year old girls teams are the best). The average number of games during day-light savings is 6-9 depending on age group. If we were to eliminate parking, then the facility clients (leagues, tournaments, clubs) would pay about triple for fields. Take for example a 100 team tournament, the daily parking expectation would be roughly 12,500 per day or $25k over a weekend. The tournament would pay roughly $8,000 for the fields per day. So if we stripped that $25k from the facility the tournament operator would pay $41k for the fields, instead of $16k. That $25k divided between 100 teams, which would be $250 per team so your $200 is fairly close.

sorry, driving 1 -2 hours each way, $10 for parking, for one game - irritating. It is one thing to pay for parking if you are going to be there all day for a tournament but to pay that for one league game in my opinion is not right. Most pay over $10,000 per year for club soccer - $2500 average per child is dirt cheap.

We pay thousands for our kids to play club soccer but complain about the cost of parking to maintain one of the best facilities in so cal?

I'll gladly pay Disneyland parking prices to keep this gem open and the grass green.

I remember the days of having to travel to Lancaster, Apple Valley or the San Bernardino ghetto for tournaments. I would much rather have Silverlakes, Oceanside, Great Park, Galloway and Polo Fields. I just refuse to Referee at Silverlakes or Galloway in July-September due to the heat.

sorry, driving 1 -2 hours each way, $10 for parking, for one game - irritating. It is one thing to pay for parking if you are going to be there all day for a tournament but to pay that for one league game in my opinion is not right. Most pay over $10,000 per year for club soccer - $2500 average per child is dirt cheap.

If Silverlakes had the trees, picnic tables, BBQ and other park amenities, you could play the game then relax, BBQ and hangout. That would make the parking fee a little more bearable.

Been a long process for Norco/Silverlakes; I recall they thread I started on the old board about 7-8 years ago about and all the trouble and tribulations on the land, site, local govt, investors, residencies with the homes near by, etc. The flood set back the project about 2 years as did the real estate mini recession when banking financing was very difficult to come by

Paid Parking was added at a later date and the project did grow beyond the initial scope; I had some background info since I worked on the project for one of the initial investors for a few months way back when.

Haven't been there much since the opening but it was really nice to see it get done finally even thorough it was still not finished when I was there last.

Socal/Oside has "free" parking during the USSDA playoffs and Showcases so its possible and I don't think the tournaments would have to raise the prices that much by what people are saying but yeah the clubs won't make as much money if they did that, so its more than meets the eye on the parking fees.

I wonder how the local restaurants would feel if Silverlakes no longer allowed games to be played there every weekend. I have to imagine that Starbucks just off of the exit has seen a massive uptick since it opened.

Been a long process for Norco/Silverlakes; I recall they thread I started on the old board about 7-8 years ago about and all the trouble and tribulations on the land, site, local govt, investors, residencies with the homes near by, etc. The flood set back the project about 2 years as did the real estate mini recession when banking financing was very difficult to come by

Paid Parking was added at a later date and the project did grow beyond the initial scope; I had some background info since I worked on the project for one of the initial investors for a few months way back when.

Haven't been there much since the opening but it was really nice to see it get done finally even thorough it was still not finished when I was there last.

Socal/Oside has "free" parking during the USSDA playoffs and Showcases so its possible and I don't think the tournaments would have to raise the prices that much by what people are saying but yeah the clubs won't make as much money if they did that, so its more than meets the eye on the parking fees.

Parking can be free at Oceanside - park at the Sprinter stop and walk in - uphill about a half mile to the field gate. Technically that is not legal, since the lot is reserved for transit riders, so if that bothers you you could park at the next station east or west. Also, I haven't heard if anyone has challenged the temporary No Parking signs on the nearby streets that are put up by the soccer operators, not the City.

I'm a cheapskate with parking and hate to pay $10 for one game. I know several tournaments do the one game per day rule to rake in the money on teams. If we could do the 2 games per day so we can hang out and enjoy the amenities, I wouldn't mind the $10 ($12 at oceanside now). So, for the referee comment above, would you be ok paying $10 only to ref 1 game? I think not.

I’m not sure the reason for 1 game per day is to make more on parking.
Many people feel that playing 2 games in a day is not a good idea.

I’m not sure the reason for 1 game per day is to make more on parking.
Many people feel that playing 2 games in a day is not a good idea.
Then maybe they could charge half the $10 for the one game. That would be nice.

I didn't read the article. But I do know we dumped a lot of crap: bricks, concrete, old lumber, and other stuff right under where they built the fields. With all the dumping, and the collection of the dump fee by the operator, it sure seemed like a dump to me. (Which it was.)

This what they said --
"In 1994, the mining operation closed and the title to the property was transferred to the City of Oceanside. In order to make the site “safe and stable” for future use, the City began the process of reclaiming the site by filling the former mining ponds with non-hazardous items such as rocks and clean construction materials. Moody’s Reclamation is currently conducting the reclamation work by crushing rocks, concrete, and other aggregate material into smaller, compact sizes. Hazardous and contaminated material is not accepted or used anywhere at El Corazon."

Now - how well did they enforce that?

I'm a cheapskate with parking and hate to pay $10 for one game. I know several tournaments do the one game per day rule to rake in the money on teams. If we could do the 2 games per day so we can hang out and enjoy the amenities, I wouldn't mind the $10 ($12 at oceanside now). So, for the referee comment above, would you be ok paying $10 only to ref 1 game? I think not.

Oh, hell no. I went to a venue once to referee and they wanted to charge me $20 for parking. I pulled a U-turn and called my assignor to make sure I would be reimbursed or I was not working the two games. I do feel your pain and have been there paying the parking fee just for one 80-90 minute game for my DD.

This what they said --
"In 1994, the mining operation closed and the title to the property was transferred to the City of Oceanside. In order to make the site “safe and stable” for future use, the City began the process of reclaiming the site by filling the former mining ponds with non-hazardous items such as rocks and clean construction materials. Moody’s Reclamation is currently conducting the reclamation work by crushing rocks, concrete, and other aggregate material into smaller, compact sizes. Hazardous and contaminated material is not accepted or used anywhere at El Corazon."

Now - how well did they enforce that?
Another government rip-off! I had to pay to dump crap there to help build up their fields that they now get to charge me for?!!?? :eek:

They seemed pretty diligent. Nothing's foolproof, but they were pretty strict as to what you could bring in. They would inspect your load, and the earthmover drivers were also watching what people dumped. I do recall them making people put things back in their trailer and haul away, now I know why.

Back