Silverlakes - forecast 90% rain this Saturday

I never knew that. That is so unfortunate. Thanks for sharing

My brother in law used to be an accountant at a luxury hotel. He had some interesting stories about what you could do with an empty hotel room, money-laundering wise.

A few years ago while driving out to Temecula from norh OC in the driving rain we saw an accident of the other side of the freeway and a yellow tarp covering a body. We got to the field and they cancelled the game.
Everyone drive safe this weekend.

Just got back from Galway Downs and the parking lot was mud soup. Saw a car with its wheels a foot deep into the mud and spinning and there was no way it was getting out. Saw a middle aged dad loaded down with gear slip on the mud, fall, curse and head back to his car. I understand that field space is hard to come by, but if you can't deliver fields AND acceptable parking, seems like the event should be elsewhere.

Just got back from Galway Downs and the parking lot was mud soup. Saw a car with its wheels a foot deep into the mud and spinning and there was no way it was getting out. Saw a middle aged dad loaded down with gear slip on the mud, fall, curse and head back to his car. I understand that field space is hard to come by, but if you can't deliver fields AND acceptable parking, seems like the event should be elsewhere.
I was just out at SL finishing a 3 finger pour of a nice Blanton’s on the rocks while watching the She Believes Cup in the dry and warm Fieldhouse. Somewhat different experience.:)

Galway parking was a freakin joke. Fields were hit or miss. Some not so bad, others a pig sty. But parking was outright ludicrous and still charging 8 bucks a pop. No drop off because cars were stuck. There has to be something these dirt lots can do to help in these situations. Hay, shell, gravel. Something. They charge a grip for parking and yet here you have people tramping through knee deep sludge. As figured, it's not about the fields, it's about the parking. 99% of the time.

Galway parking was a freakin joke. Fields were hit or miss. Some not so bad, others a pig sty. But parking was outright ludicrous and still charging 8 bucks a pop. No drop off because cars were stuck. There has to be something these dirt lots can do to help in these situations. Hay, shell, gravel. Something. They charge a grip for parking and yet here you have people tramping through knee deep sludge. As figured, it's not about the fields, it's about the parking. 99% of the time.

You were only charged $8 for parking?! We were charged $10, both yesterday and today. I agree it was a huge mess, the parking lot and the fields..like a swamp. There were kids slipping all over during the games. Thankful we won’t have any more games there!

Why? Because of the parking lots? Because parents will get wet? There is less than a half inch of total rain forecast across Friday, Saturday and Sunday combined. If it doesn't affect play with saturated fields then why cancel?

It's the fields. They don't care about the amount of rain, it is the accumulated saturation of the fields. Too many events scheduled to have the fields torn up. As far as parents getting wet, that is a pretty dumb statement. You don't think by the time your player makes a DA or DPL team that the parents haven't sat through rain, wind, near freezing temperatures, and heat well over a hundred? You name it they have done it and so have their players.

It's the fields. They don't care about the amount of rain, it is the accumulated saturation of the fields. Too many events scheduled to have the fields torn up. As far as parents getting wet, that is a pretty dumb statement. You don't think by the time your player makes a DA or DPL team that the parents haven't sat through rain, wind, near freezing temperatures, and heat well over a hundred? You name it they have done it and so have their players.

You call what I said "dumb" when you couldn't read (or comprehend) what was written. Classic stuff, Lambchop. I specifically spoke about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of rain not being enough to saturate the field which I why I questioned why people wanted the games canceled. By all accounts they were in great shape, which leads to me ask that you please stop trolling.

Off topic, but the “near freezing temperatures” part made me laugh.

My 2007’s tournament got cancelled because the field was frozen under three inches of ice. Girls had a bit of fun none the less.
upload_2019-3-3_19-16-1.jpeg

You were only charged $8?!? We were charged $10 and that was for just my husband to drop me and my DS off. And we couldn't even get dropped off close to the field. We had to "park" where all the cars were parking and my DS and I had to walk through the muddy pit where I had to tell her to walk all the way to the side near the sloping side because there was a car slipping and sliding in the mud trying to leave the parking lot almost hitting the post.

i had never seen people pushing water off a field at a soccer game (at Silverlakes)- never the less while the actual game was being played. #commitment

i had never seen people pushing water off a field at a soccer game (at Silverlakes)- never the less while the actual game was being played. #commitment
Silverlakes crews really go the extra mile to make the fields playable. I’ve seen them mechanically aerating fields in between matches at some events as well. #keepingitreal

Silverlakes crews really go the extra mile to make the fields playable. I’ve seen them mechanically aerating fields in between matches at some events as well. #keepingitreal

they did what they could but to make them "playable", some fields were better than others, but some were trashed by the end of the day.

Your parking dollars at work.
That and the asphalt parking lots, and the hard packed gravel lots. I've never heard the same muddy horror stories about parking as I do about Galway and DelMar Polo Fields. Maybe they sunk the parking $ back into a better drainage system for the patrons at SilverLakes?

That and the asphalt parking lots, and the hard packed gravel lots. I've never heard the same muddy horror stories about parking as I do about Galway and DelMar Polo Fields. Maybe they sunk the parking $ back into a better drainage system for the patrons at SilverLakes?

Del Mar and Galway Downs are technically converted "polo grounds" that must continue a resemblance of being an equestrian property. Developing a asphalt parking lot at Del Mar is probably prohibited. Galway Downs has an even bigger problem. Its about 240 acres total, with the "polo fields" that are used for soccer occupying about 40 acres. Parking is in the cross-country area, which has jumps and other obstacles. If Galway Downs were to asphalt over that area, the neighbors would cry foul. Back in 2012, Galway withdrew its application for athletic fields, lights, etc. (https://www.pe.com/2012/01/24/temecula-athletic-fields-no-longer-set-for-galway-downs/ ), its now operating with a hand-shake agreement with the County of Riverside. Lights and permanent parking would likely be going too far.

Back