SCSDL Tiers

I can't say if your thought is right or wrong. Every kid is different, so try to find what fits best. Do research. Watch a few practices. Watch a few games.

To your points #2 and #3 - Think back to your childhood. When did you "learn" to competitive? Did someone teach you? When did you learn what it takes to be a winner?

I can't personally say when those things happened for me. I've won and lost my share of games as a kid. And I've won and lost my share of things in my adult life. I still learn something new each day with regard to what it takes to be a winner.
I personally hate losing a little bit more than I love winning. When I lose - I get pissed and stew over it for a while and try to find a way to not lose again next time. When I win, it's what I expect. The celebration doesn't last as long as the anger does over losing.

Simply ask your kid - What do you want to do next season?
Don't preface it with "travel, wins/losses, financial, commitment, etc." Just ask them what they want to do. And then do whatever you can to try and find them that situation.

Thanks for your input TimBuck! Very helpful info. In regards to learning how to be a "winner", I believe a person doesn't realize that they learned how to be a winner or competitive until their adult years. I played sports at a very young age and was fortunate to be coached by some great people. This is why sport is such a beautiful thing. It teaches valuable life lessons that a person didn't realize they learned until they are put into adverse situations in life.

Back