SCDSL Flights

@LASTMAN14 - what does that mean "They have sent 05 players up to their affiliated DA teams." Do you mean they're playing up on the 04 team?
Yes, there are several clubs that have sent players from there 05 teams up to DA 04. I know of 2 clubs and I would not be surprised if there was 1-2 more.

I have not seen that in SD (with 1 exception that I am aware of). Not saying it isn't happening, I just have not seen it. Not sure why the parents of an '05 would allow it (unless we are talking ego again).
Unless we are talking about the rare unicorn, the '05 playing '04 academy will get limited playing time and would be playing against bigger, faster, stronger girls. Yes, she gets to practice against great competition, but practicing isn't that same as playing in games that matter. And I would be willing to bet that the 25% she does get, as mandated by US Soccer, will come in garbage time.
If the club is pushing it it makes me wonder what's happening with their '04s; they should have enough talent to complete the roster without dipping into '05. If not, what does that say about the club?
If the parent is pushing it, and the club is allowing it, it seems like a money grab and the club tying up an '05 player a year earlier at the expense of their development.
Barring the very rare '05 that can no only play with '04s but stand out against '04s, it doesn't make sense to me. My $0.02
I responded earlier but in LA and OC there are several clubs who have pushed kids up. It will be interesting to see what happens with DA in general this year. My girls are 1 and 2 years out and I will see how this all unfolds. I think 05 playing time will depend on the need of the team and yes those unicorns.:D I do think coaches will play the best team first over a players birth year. I am just watching from the sidelines and going to take it all in.

Yes, there are several clubs that have sent players from there 05 teams up to DA 04. I know of 2 clubs and I would not be surprised if there was 1-2 more.
But, at Surf Cup, those 2 clubs were playing their DA players in the 05 teams, for a last run.
It is really up to the parents of those girls whether they play 05 or 04. Obviously they are better than many of the 04s in those teams, so they have earned the "right" to play up. I would have prefered that they stay with the 05s until National Cup and then make the move up (which is possible), to have a last great year of competition at the 05 level, but not everybody thinks the same way

I don't know where you are but I know coaches spent all summer scanning. I found it to be obnoxious actually.
I also hope that the coaches are forced to tell parents exactly what it entails.
Out of town travel every other weekend- multiple plane trips, four day a week practice, to name a few. We have parents on our team who have never done this! They had no idea

Striker 17.... we are in the same city as a DA team. They have made runs at a bunch of our players but so far most of our girls just like the group we have. I'm sure next year when the DA promises start coming we may lose some... right now, I'm just enjoying watching my daughter play soccer and be a typical 12 yr old....

Striker 17.... we are in the same city as a DA team. They have made runs at a bunch of our players but so far most of our girls just like the group we have. I'm sure next year when the DA promises start coming we may lose some... right now, I'm just enjoying watching my daughter play soccer and be a typical 12 yr old....

Smart parents. Nothing even matters until eighth grade I wish someone would've told us that. Now hopefully the NCAA will change the recruiting guidelines to junior year and then all of this madness I do believe that will be mitigated

But, at Surf Cup, those 2 clubs were playing their DA players in the 05 teams, for a last run.
It is really up to the parents of those girls whether they play 05 or 04. Obviously they are better than many of the 04s in those teams, so they have earned the "right" to play up. I would have prefered that they stay with the 05s until National Cup and then make the move up (which is possible), to have a last great year of competition at the 05 level, but not everybody thinks the same way
Me too. I would have liked to keep those 05's at their perspective teams.

Me too. I would have liked to keep those 05's at their perspective teams.
I prefer them to be very dominant in their games (i.e. by playing 05), while training with the older girls in a DA team. That way they get the best of both worlds. And, if the player needs even more, she can always get a DP slot until National Cup. I am curious about next year, whether those players that are playing up will come back to their age group once that an 05 DA team exists.

I prefer them to be very dominant in their games (i.e. by playing 05), while training with the older girls in a DA team. That way they get the best of both worlds. And, if the player needs even more, she can always get a DP slot until National Cup. I am curious about next year, whether those players that are playing up will come back to their age group once that an 05 DA team exists.
Good question if those players will rejoin their age groups. I guess it all depends on so many factors, but it would probably be a solid move to stay and play with the incoming DA team.

Good question if those players will rejoin their age groups. I guess it all depends on so many factors, but it would probably be a solid move to stay and play with the incoming DA team.
I would think that clubs want to maximize the competitiveness of their DA teams for obvious reasons, and will try to roster players in their age group if that makes that team very special, just like our o5 groups were this year. The parents will have to decide whether their girls are a stud in a top DA team, or a good player in an average one (or, if the club does not given them this option, move to another club).

Back