SCDSL Flights

30 Teams in Flight 1.
16 of them belong to Development Academy. Several of them have 2 (and even 3) teams in Flight 1. Will be interesting to see what happens next year when this age group hits DA.

As a naming suffix we have the following 15 to indicate the level of teams:
6 teams with "Pre Academy"
1 with GA (Girls Academy?)
1 with ECNL
1 with Pre-ECNL
1 with EGSL
1 with Elite
1 with Pre-Elite
1 with Gold
1 with Select
1 with Premier

The other 15 just list club, age and coach.

30 Teams in Flight 1.
16 of them belong to Development Academy. Several of them have 2 (and even 3) teams in Flight 1. Will be interesting to see what happens next year when this age group hits DA.

As a naming suffix we have the following 15 to indicate the level of teams:
6 teams with "Pre Academy"
1 with GA (Girls Academy?)
1 with ECNL
1 with Pre-ECNL
1 with EGSL
1 with Elite
1 with Pre-Elite
1 with Gold
1 with Select
1 with Premier

The other 15 just list club, age and coach.

The "GA" doesn't stand for Girls Academy, it's Greg Aviles.

I thought they would group all the future Academy teams into one flight. It will be interesting to see how the non Pre DA teams stack up against the Academy teams.

At the olders they pair teams up i
I thought they would group all the future Academy teams into one flight. It will be interesting to see how the non Pre DA teams stack up against the Academy teams.
Many of the future academy teams already do not look the same. They have sent 05 players up to their affiliated DA teams. Thus they are not as competitive as the were just a few months ago.

It would seem all of the pressure will be on the DA teams to preform against their non DA counterparts. If these non DA teams hold their own this year, I would think it would hurt the recruiting machine at many of the big clubs...

Na.. the DA clubs will recruit the star player with promises of playing for a reduced or free fee. And exposure that they promise their kid will only get on a DA team.

Many of the future academy teams already do not look the same. They have sent 05 players up to their affiliated DA teams. Thus they are not as competitive as the were just a few months ago.
Is your 05 team planning on playing the SD Surf Thanksgiving tournament?

I only follow @TCD and enjoy her posts which is why I saw this thread but I am parent of an 04. I wanted to say as I read through this a) yes several great 05 are playing on 04 DA and some even on 03 and 02 DA b) ENJOY YOUR LAST YEAR PRE DA. Savor every tourney, all the teammates, all the time. Trust me once your DA tryouts start your whole team will scatter. I don't know one team fully intact and the closest one I know was only done after some serious negotiating and will last maybe a year. C) don't get caught up in your flights etc. Focus on your player and if she does want to play DA I would start making sure she is standing out as an impact player on her team D) there are already rumblings about who is coaching 05 next year. Keep your ear to the ground and take her where the coach is good, not the winning team. I would almost say avoid the winning team unless your daughter is a top 10. E) Know who is going where and network. If your DD is a good defender make sure the team needs her. I say this because with our sub rules and play time our girls
are now realizing their time will be limited F) start networking and don't wait until Dec.

Our season starts Sep 1. I can tell you we have no "pressure to win" against other clubs or non DA teams. It's a grind. It's a process. Four days a week is no joke.
You are in the last year before the landscape changes massively and the "feel" of soccer hanged a lot. Enjoy it! Enjoy every second of it. Plan ahead but don't forget to sit back and enjoy the last year of when soccer seems like it's always had been because once you hit where we are it's different.

Surf's C team tied Pats pre-academy team at Surf Cup...Surf would have won 1-0 if the CR or AR had noticed that the GK (and ball) were behind the line when she caught a ball...so there's one interesting pre-DA/non-pre DA match up for you.

No doesn't say a lot at all.
Pats pre academy is composed of lower flight girls and a few stars who made the leap over in an effort to align themselves for next year. That team is a transitional team.
I can assure you and believe as we have seen that the PATS DA by 2019 will be legit. It's a fully funded academy. Why anyone would not want to play for a National Team scout Jenny Hammond for FREE is beyond me. Once the word gets out yes the other local area teams should be affected and at 04 they already are.

Thanks for your insight, @Striker17. My DD is not on a DA path but she has many friends that are. It seems like a crazy ride indeed- they should start handing out the xanax now to the parents of the girls on the DA path!

That is why I love these message boards. My friends and I say we wish people were more honest with everyone because DA is a life changing, family committment. My DD describes it "multiple training sessions and it's more learning time and more about WHY and HOW we play not just playing"
We got so caught up in all this last year we missed the moment and wouldn't want to have anyone repeat our mistake. Now we are in a full fledged GRIND.

I have not seen that in SD (with 1 exception that I am aware of). Not saying it isn't happening, I just have not seen it. Not sure why the parents of an '05 would allow it (unless we are talking ego again).
Unless we are talking about the rare unicorn, the '05 playing '04 academy will get limited playing time and would be playing against bigger, faster, stronger girls. Yes, she gets to practice against great competition, but practicing isn't that same as playing in games that matter. And I would be willing to bet that the 25% she does get, as mandated by US Soccer, will come in garbage time.
If the club is pushing it it makes me wonder what's happening with their '04s; they should have enough talent to complete the roster without dipping into '05. If not, what does that say about the club?
If the parent is pushing it, and the club is allowing it, it seems like a money grab and the club tying up an '05 player a year earlier at the expense of their development.
Barring the very rare '05 that can no only play with '04s but stand out against '04s, it doesn't make sense to me. My $0.02

RE: the DA 4 days a week - is that really much different than what girls are already doing on the top 05 teams? Seems like the ones I know have team practice twice a week, plus one day of team strength and/or speed training and then most of those girls then have another day of either a private training or futsal training.

I asked my DD for you- she was in a top team and did privates and futsal.
She said:
It's totally different because we practIce multiple topics and have specific objectives
Team training is harder because it's 8 hours a week minimum for our training
My DA coaches really know me and so I can get away with things at privates but I don't scrimmage anyone and also sometimes when I am in a bad mood they let me slide. At DA we are fighting for our spots

Physically- I can tell you she played HARD last year and we also had scheduled privates twice per week, futsal and another sport. What surprised me was that by Friday she's passed out at 6.

My DD is not a DA player and never will be... she is a decent player on a decent team, but has no desire to play DA. It will be interesting to see what effect the local DA has on our team. I'm guessing the vultures will be out once league starts (if they aren't already).

I have not seen that in SD (with 1 exception that I am aware of). Not saying it isn't happening, I just have not seen it. Not sure why the parents of an '05 would allow it (unless we are talking ego again).
Unless we are talking about the rare unicorn, the '05 playing '04 academy will get limited playing time and would be playing against bigger, faster, stronger girls. Yes, she gets to practice against great competition, but practicing isn't that same as playing in games that matter. And I would be willing to bet that the 25% she does get, as mandated by US Soccer, will come in garbage time.
If the club is pushing it it makes me wonder what's happening with their '04s; they should have enough talent to complete the roster without dipping into '05. If not, what does that say about the club?
If the parent is pushing it, and the club is allowing it, it seems like a money grab and the club tying up an '05 player a year earlier at the expense of their development.
Barring the very rare '05 that can no only play with '04s but stand out against '04s, it doesn't make sense to me. My $0.02

I really like this post but let me tell you what I have seen and how it translates. For the record I know of about 4-5 in SD and about 3 making the drive to OC.
1. Some girls are next level and the playing up benefits them - rare case
2. Some girls are being brought to 04 as a way to appease a crazy parent which I find funny. Anything you hear take with a grain of salt. For example we heard "05 X plays on the B team at 04 because we antes her to be the star but she made 04 DA". Lot of talk this year and those girls won't be on our DP Roster no way
3. Some 05 girls made an 04 DA but that doesn't mean they are ROSTERED. Wait until the roster comes out to see. Then you will see the whole picture. In those cases either the club is seeing that 05 as their cornerstone player for the next year or they wanted to keep her at the club
4. I can't say enough. The hoppers will always be the hoppers. We have some 04 who are still showing up at trainings etc because we have ten days until we sign. We all know those families and those families I believe are having the hardest time with all of this and trying to find a DA team where their daughter "shines"
What I have found to be the funniest is the parents who have spent the last five years having their daughters guest at every team, thought their daughters were "the best", played tourneys every weekend with every team up and down the coast are realizing that DA marries you to a team. We don't guest, we don't play elsewhere. It's a committment.

My DD is not a DA player and never will be... she is a decent player on a decent team, but has no desire to play DA. It will be interesting to see what effect the local DA has on our team. I'm guessing the vultures will be out once league starts (if they aren't already).

I don't know where you are but I know coaches spent all summer scanning. I found it to be obnoxious actually.
I also hope that the coaches are forced to tell parents exactly what it entails.
Out of town travel every other weekend- multiple plane trips, four day a week practice, to name a few. We have parents on our team who have never done this! They had no idea

One of the most creative and griity players I know at 04 plays on a local club. She chose not to do DA or ECNL. You aren't alone. You have a lot of time! Middle school is a time to explore and grow in a sport and I don't think you lose anything by finding the right coach and place.
That's another thing people haven't been honest with expectations and so many times parents are so intense on keeping up with the jones or placing a kid on a "top team" to their detriment. Take your time and trust your instincts

Back