Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Looking for some perspective:

My son attended a camp, from that camp a coach requested he attend that colleges camp this coming Sunday as he is interested in seeing more of my son and wants him to see the school campus.

He has a tournament this weekend for his club. It's a small local tourney with zero to no college coaches attending, it's essentially a revenue generator for the club, ages Ulittle to U19.

When I was upfront with his coach on wanting to attend the camp his coach would not support him missing the club tourney.

I feel his coach should be supportive of the college invite vs. fundraiser tourney for club.

Thoughts?
Have your player call the college coach, explain the dilemma, and ask him about the level of their interest. If your player is interested in the school, express the interest to the coach and see if it is reciprocated.

Azz, I would send him to the ID camp. The college season starts soon and probably is the last chance for any camp for a while.

Frankly any coach that doesn't support his players trying to get into a college team has his priority messed up.

The college camp may turn out to be a fundraiser mostly but you'll have to take that chance, especially if it's a school of interest. At least you'll get to evaluate their interest is real or not.

Unfortunately the club coach maybe pissed for a bit but such is life and what would he do if this was his kid....

Cheers!

In 2010 (I think) we checked DD into a week long camp at Stanford (no qualification required - just money, and it was reasonable) while we went on and gave our son some attention. They had lots - some 14ish I recall school coaches there. That set a bunch of things in play.

She went to a camp at UVA and I think despite us traveling across country the decision was made before she arrived. Hard to tell. I saw a few girls that were top drawer.

Later she went to a camp WherePlayersPlay at TCU where she got seen and invited to play for one of the coaches the next day.

If you have a kid willing to serve, and an athlete - esp a female, check out the service academy.
It is not about that some kids at Harvard or Princeton is a 170IQ (if you have one of those ignore my comments).

The difference between going in and coming out is the most stark at the service academies.

It is about what the service academies do with your basic smart kid I'm so impressed by. All (so even the football players) freshman take calculus, engineering, language (mine doing Russian), leadership courses and history of war (you could just call it history). And while not kicking butt vs DI recruited athletes at other colleges, it is a bit less important (other than beat Army). They are athletes. Looking at some, I question that, but the mean scores for men for the school is 12 pull-ups, 71 situps, 48 pushups, 1:53 600yd run and about a 6 min mile - going in. Girls are also competitive. And they pay your kid to attend. Of course kid needs to want to serve and know that they may end up giving their life for their country. But...they tend to die less than kids hanging around home (that is now). No motorcycles allowed.

They also have the highest mid-career salaries.
As service Academy grad and career military officer, here is what I would say. The Academies (all of them, including Coast Guard), are great institutions (obviously I'm biased). Your child will get a good education and a lot of great experience, discipline, leadership skills, etc. But you need to make sure your child knows that they are going to be cadets/midshipmen first, students second, athletes third. And they need to really want to serve in the military to make it through. As a child all I wanted to do was to be in the military, and I went and wanted to drop out several times. It is tough. If you can't hack the military part of it, they will kick you out. If you can't maintain above a 2.0, they will kick you out. No matter how great an athlete you are. I had friends who were great athletes, recruited football players and track stars, who either quit or were kicked out. There is a whole lot of BS that you have to put up with there, like memorizing the menus for meals, upperclassmen screaming at you for ridiculous things, surprise inspections, restricted liberty, etc.
I hear a lot of parents say, well, (he or she) really wants to play Division 1 soccer, and (he or she) won't mind the military stuff. That's not really how it works there. Some go in with that attitude, but then find that the military is really for them. They are a small minority.

@bilbo28 - Thank you for your continuing service.
I'm learning about what you posted still.

For girls (99.9% of them) - soccer's "usefulness" is in getting into college and helping pay for it. Some guys may have lucrative pro options. Very few girls will be pro and those who are, will make near min wage on average. 1-2 a year will be on the WNT. Yet those that want to play for the joy of the sport have plenty opportunity. So if a parent/kid agrees that playing at the most competitive level of soccer is going to go away in 1-4 years anyway, they may be willing to put it 3rd place for something bigger. Nobody wants anyone in the Service Academies that are not willing to serve their country in the military first, but I think a lot of soccer players meet the profile the Academies are looking for - esp the girls.

This was mine - Yesterday A-Day. A proud moment, not because of his sport. But his sport helped get him there.

Last edited:
I have a 13-year-old girl who is now showing the skill and desire to take it to the next level and is entering 8th grade. Recently had a big growth spurt and she is a different player than a year ago. I don't think any of us know at this stage where she'll be this time next year. There could be 100 girls at her age group just at her club when she's ready to graduate. How do I know if she has what it takes to be a college player? How will she know?

I have a 13-year-old girl who is now showing the skill and desire to take it to the next level and is entering 8th grade. Recently had a big growth spurt and she is a different player than a year ago. I don't think any of us know at this stage where she'll be this time next year. There could be 100 girls at her age group just at her club when she's ready to graduate. How do I know if she has what it takes to be a college player? How will she know?
Summer is almost over. But look into / search for some multi coach camps. The Stanford one was very good. Note that before she takes her 1st 9th grade class she can talk to coaches and visit schools. I think that gets their head in the right place early. Have her try out for the highest level she can do and know on the bench is on the team. Just make sure she thinks she can stay there. Name brand clubs help.
Sure there are many example of great girls that came from nowhere, but most college coaches are lazy and if you have the names to give them - that helps. Note to those that disagree - I said it helps.

Looks like it is over but here is the link and the colleges that were involved. While she may have no interest in tese schools these coaches can help. Also these coaches move. When DD was there the Stanford assistant saw her. Then that assistant became the head coach at Dartmouth, and now is the head coach at Notre Dame. DD was on a team with the UNLV assistant coach who became the Oregan (state or U - I forgot) coach.
http://www.stanfordsoccer.com/Girls_College_ID___Development_Camp.htm
*Cal State Bakersfield * Idaho State University * University of Oklahoma * San Francisco State University * Seattle University * Notre Dame de Namur * University of Hawaii * University of Utah * University of Washington * Marquette University * University of Evansville * Northern Arizona University * Saint Louis University * Chico State University * Dominican University * Humboldt State University *

Have your player call the college coach, explain the dilemma, and ask him about the level of their interest. If your player is interested in the school, express the interest to the coach and see if it is reciprocated.

He did. My sons club coach called the college coach and explained the situation.

Azz, I would send him to the ID camp. The college season starts soon and probably is the last chance for any camp for a while.

Frankly any coach that doesn't support his players trying to get into a college team has his priority messed up.

The college camp may turn out to be a fundraiser mostly but you'll have to take that chance, especially if it's a school of interest. At least you'll get to evaluate their interest is real or not.

Unfortunately the club coach maybe pissed for a bit but such is life and what would he do if this was his kid....

Cheers!

I felt the same way you did.

While your player is narrowing down schools be sure to pay attention to the players that graduate at his/her position. If playing matters to them find out if they are a need position.

While your player is narrowing down schools be sure to pay attention to the players that graduate at his/her position. If playing matters to them find out if they are a need position.

It is nice to see that you are taking your medication again. Well done!

Easier for GK than other positions. And you can kinda guess it just looking at the roster and class they other GK/s were.
For field players - not so easy unless you know the coach think. We saw players moved from forward to defender and visa versa in more than one team (Notre Dame and Stanford switched key players). Rare to see one moved from/to GK. UW moved Hope Solo from HS forward to GK in college - FWIW.
Now that DD plays for fun she no longer plays GK and few know she was one.

It is nice to see that you are taking your medication again. Well done!

Oh it's you again. Is your daughter even still playing soccer? She should start getting good grades now because if you are any indication she not only won't play soccer in college she just might end up with a lobotomy like her father. Give it up you are not in my league. Get your kid into an engineering camp or something. Soccer is a waste of time for you and her.

I would also pay attention to your wife more. With such an obviously small penis you better be spending some $$$ on her.

When MAP is not taking her medication she is able to divine this information. This along with banging the coach definitely help.

Maybe you should try banging the coach it might get your player more minutes. You seem like a bottom so your coach will like that. It still won't help your player get a scholarship but there are plenty of JUCOS in Arizona looking for ECNL players.

Easier for GK than other positions. And you can kinda guess it just looking at the roster and class they other GK/s were.
For field players - not so easy unless you know the coach think. We saw players moved from forward to defender and visa versa in more than one team (Notre Dame and Stanford switched key players). Rare to see one moved from/to GK. UW moved Hope Solo from HS forward to GK in college - FWIW.
Now that DD plays for fun she no longer plays GK and few know she was one.

I hear you sir. Recruiting is not an exact science. It does matter though. We were told by every school that she considered that there was a need at her particular position in her grad year and it seems to have worked out.

I have heard you have a reputation for banging coaches. One of the big reasons your DD has gone to some YNT camps.

You caught me except that the coaches are female and I don't swing that way. I would say that it would work for you but to be perfectly honest your kid isn't good enough.

Back