Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

When a college sets its scholarship budget and they have 14 scholarships for D1 or 9.9 for D2 do they base their budget on in-state tuition? Or are they allowed to have a bigger budget if some of their recruits are from out of state?

It depends upon the school but for most P5 programs it is allocated as either a percentage of costs (50%, 75%) or what they will pay (tuition, fees, books, room, board).

Another question. How is room and board handled for the time athletes report for the start of the training until school starts? If you have a percent offer does it cover this cost?

Those costs are program costs and not scholarship costs. They put the team in the dorm and feed them during camp. Once school starts (in late September for quarter system schools) then they move into their regular accommodations (usually when the regular students start moving in).

Those costs are program costs and not scholarship costs. They put the team in the dorm and feed them during camp. Once school starts (in late September for quarter system schools) then they move into their regular accommodations (usually when the regular students start moving in).

Thanks MAP!

Another question. How is room and board handled for the time athletes report for the start of the training until school starts? If you have a percent offer does it cover this cost?
Room and board /meal plans are the most expensive part of college. If your kid is reporting early they most likely will stay on campus for the camp.

Room and board /meal plans are the most expensive part of college. If your kid is reporting early they most likely will stay on campus for the camp.

Tuition & fees is more expensive at all but maybe some state public schools. Tuition for out of state players at any UC is $40k which is still less than Stanford.

What school is that?

The parents of one of my daughter’s friend did a genius thing for her college soccer situation a couple of years ago. I am mentioning it because it might be a helpful strategy for some of the parents with kids going to school out of state.

Her friend got tuition, fees and books covered by her scholarship and it was at an out of state school. Well the cost of real estate in this state was so low relative to California that they bought a house near the school and the payment was so low that it was cheaper than a room and board plan ( I think it was around $10-12k a year at this school give or take if I recall). What made it better was that she has 2 roommates now (and she did by mid-freshman year) so she is living for free.

Those that have had experience - what did your initial contacts look like (email to coach?) and when did you start sending them (what age)? Did you include video, or just schedules for upcoming games?

The parents of one of my daughter’s friend did a genius thing for her college soccer situation a couple of years ago. I am mentioning it because it might be a helpful strategy for some of the parents with kids going to school out of state.

Her friend got tuition, fees and books covered by her scholarship and it was at an out of state school. Well the cost of real estate in this state was so low relative to California that they bought a house near the school and the payment was so low that it was cheaper than a room and board plan ( I think it was around $10-12k a year at this school give or take if I recall). What made it better was that she has 2 roommates now (and she did by mid-freshman year) so she is living for free.

My wife's aunt did something like that when her son attended San Diego State. They bought a condo for him to live in, and by the time he graduated the gain on selling the condo was more than they had spent on tuition and fees. Of course, that was a while back - SDSU tuition has gone up a lot since then.

Those that have had experience - what did your initial contacts look like (email to coach?) and when did you start sending them (what age)? Did you include video, or just schedules for upcoming games?

Check out the 1st several pages of this thread. Lots of good intel regarding this and everthing else about the process.

Check out the 1st several pages of this thread. Lots of good intel regarding this and everthing else about the process.

Did that. First 39 pages actually. Ok not all 39...every tine I see two pages of back and forth insults my eyes glaze over and I start hitting page forward for a while. There was quite a bit of good info though.
I’m still not clear on what the new NCAA junior year verbal rule means practically. NCAA document makes it look like it includes electronic communication. One poster said that refers the communication FROM the college only. I have lots more questions about it. Prior to 9/1 junior year do I have club coach contact college coach? Does my DD call directly? Email? Can college coach respond or does he/she have to talk through club coach?
MAP stated to start contacts start of freshman year but I’d like to hear what was successful for others as well.
And thoughts on the videos? I was a college athlete. Never sent a video. But I don’t know what the protocol is these days.
If anyone is willing to recap what I might have missed in earlier posts I would be very grateful.

Every school and program will be slightly different. One of my daughter's friends who played in South Dakota at a private school (she hated the SD winter) had to pay extra for the added month in the dorm before school started. With my daughter, the players living in the dorms moved into their dorm room a couple days before summer practices started on August 1st. No extra charge for room or food. She had a roommate on the team and the other two roommates were on the golf and volleyball teams. The advantage my daughter and her teammate had was they were the first to move in and got to pick which of the four rooms they would take. My daughter smartly took the room farthest away from the kitchen, lounge and washing machine, so it was the quietest. The players also got priority when registering for classes, so she got all of the classes she wanted. Brutal practice schedule for those first couple weeks. Three-a-days for the first two weeks beginning at 5am on the field, gym at 2pm and another field practice at 7pm. They also had an extra cardio practice from 10-11am for the players who could not pass the running and agility tests. My daughter was the only freshman out of 8 to pass the test, so she took a nap during that time. Very regimented those first couple weeks to the point that the team was required to eat lunch together. Their only day off was Sundays.

Every school and program will be slightly different. One of my daughter's friends who played in South Dakota at a private school (she hated the SD winter) had to pay extra for the added month in the dorm before school started. With my daughter, the players living in the dorms moved into their dorm room a couple days before summer practices started on August 1st. No extra charge for room or food. She had a roommate on the team and the other two roommates were on the golf and volleyball teams. The advantage my daughter and her teammate had was they were the first to move in and got to pick which of the four rooms they would take. My daughter smartly took the room farthest away from the kitchen, lounge and washing machine, so it was the quietest. The players also got priority when registering for classes, so she got all of the classes she wanted. Brutal practice schedule for those first couple weeks. Three-a-days for the first two weeks beginning at 5am on the field, gym at 2pm and another field practice at 7pm. They also had an extra cardio practice from 10-11am for the players who could not pass the running and agility tests. My daughter was the only freshman out of 8 to pass the test, so she took a nap during that time. Very regimented those first couple weeks to the point that the team was required to eat lunch together. Their only day off was Sundays.

Before my son's Freshman year, he got free room and board in one of the older dormitories, sharing a 4-man suite (2 bedrooms and a bathroom) with 3 other incoming Freshmen. He was on partial scholarship, but his roommate, who was getting nothing but a discount because his mother was a UC employee, got the same free deal also. The day before the official move-in weekend, they all moved to their real rooms and started paying. Before his other years, he was already on a 12-month lease so his room and board were paid as if he were in a college term.

I did not see a "bill" for pre-season room and board last year or this year.

We actually looked into that. But I've had a rental before and got scared off with the property being so far away, even with an agency. Now I wish we would have gone through with it. Your cost of room and board is spot on.

Something to consider.

"Cost" vs Value.

Add it to the mix.

:)
So tue!

If you look at the meal plan cost it makes sense. But when you look at the food (my daughter got tired of it half way through her Freshman year) and understand that your kid will probably eat off campus a lot the true value is diminished.

Something to ask a potential school:

Does your kid have to be on the meal plan. Some will tell you that all Freshman are on it.

Another question. When your kid made her decision did you go back to that school and try to negotiate the offer? Did it work?
If your kid has the grades they will try to split up the scholarship between athletic and scholastic. The more they can put into scholastic the more flexibility the coach can have. In my daughters case they also offered her a track scholarship but she declined it. If your daughter is willing to play more then one sport Im sure they will offer her more.

Back