Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

We know 2 incoming '18's...both out of socal. One is on the mex wnt w/a unbelievably high work rate, n the other looks like a cute little Barbie doll twin....who legit goes beast mode/hulk when you piss her off. This upcoming PAC-12 race should be fun to watch!

One of them kinda sprung on the scene recently. It will be interesting to see how much time they see this season. I believe they may need a wideback so the defender might see more time early on.

As I like to say attacking players grab the headlines but elite defenders are worth their weight in gold.

Crazy but exciting recruiting period. Be prepared to spend money in the process. Did not really plan on the expense. Just finished UCSD camp today on coaches recommendation and that is still in play. Now flying to Virginia today to meet with coaches tomorrow at JMU. Also just popped up that next weekend we are flying to Colorado for another meeting and tour. Just be prepared to spend several thousand on closing the deal if you are thinking out of state and have several schools in play.

Crazy but exciting recruiting period. Be prepared to spend money in the process. Did not really plan on the expense. Just finished UCSD camp today on coaches recommendation and that is still in play. Now flying to Virginia today to meet with coaches tomorrow at JMU. Also just popped up that next weekend we are flying to Colorado for another meeting and tour. Just be prepared to spend several thousand on closing the deal if you are thinking out of state and have several schools in play.

The coach at JMU is amazing!! He is ex-military and played in college. He is an amazing coach and is the architect that put together the 2015-2020 UCLA recruiting classes. He is a straight shooter and everything he told us about our player and his plans for her was spot on. He is dearly missed. Good luck to you and your player and enjoy the ride!!

That was one of my favorite parts of the process. Enjoy the time with your DD. The out of state thing can be expensive and it can be tough to get to games but in the end it’s all about your kid being happy. Good luck

Crazy but exciting recruiting period. Be prepared to spend money in the process. Did not really plan on the expense. Just finished UCSD camp today on coaches recommendation and that is still in play.
Important lesson- most summer Id camps are money makers for the university. They will always recommend their camp. If they have a legitimate interest in you, you will get a personal invite for something that is not a cattle call.

Maybe I don't understand the new rules? Can't you wait a few weeks and have those visits be paid for by the University? I thought official visits now can begin in the junior year. Why not wait til Sept 1 and have JMU and Colorado pay for them? (I could misunderstand the rules).

We had some more lead time when my DD was going through the process and planned the college visits around mini vacations. My wife was giving my DD and I a hard time about going to Southern Florida until I added four days in the Bahamas. Then she was all in. My DD and I did most of the travel just the two of us and had a great time together. I would do it all over again just for the time we got to spend together. Enjoy the process.

I think you only get one paid trip and I have heard coaches use that to bring the girls they sign in at the same time in most cases.

oh please - No one cares which schools you are visiting. If you have questions or getting feedback cool but no one is impressed with your attempt at braggin......Also, schools will pay or your visit after you are age eligible for official visits and if they really really want you - you can have more than one official visit.

I know once you’re a junior you get five officials thus I’m wondering why you’d spend your own money?

Am I wrong on understanding that’s how it works?

If a coach says hey “id love for you to come visit but I’m not paying for it,” is that a sign that you’re not a high target? Or just that they don’t have a budget? Trying to decipher the new rules and what is all means.

In my view if they don't invest in you then maybe not so much interest - requires no risk on the school's part - no harm in taking yourself to visit a school or attendinga camp but don'tthink it is something more than what it is.

In my view if they don't invest in you then maybe not so much interest - requires no risk on the school's part - no harm in taking yourself to visit a school or attendinga camp but don'tthink it is something more than what it is.

Even the largest most successful programs don’t have that kind of budget. In the past they brought all of the girls in the recruiting class in their senior year sometime when there is a home soccer game and another big event like football/basketball game prior to them signing their letters of intent. The current freshman usually host the recruits. I don’t know any player that took more than one school paid trip. I don’t see the early recruiting changing a whole lot unfortunately so for the top players that might have that kind of leverage they will be committed well before the age of recruiting trips.

Lastly the only thing that is an indicator of your players value to schools is the size of your players offer and how much (if any) you have to pony up for school. Good luck to you and your player.

One of them kinda sprung on the scene recently. It will be interesting to see how much time they see this season. I believe they may need a wideback so the defender might see more time early on.

As I like to say attacking players grab the headlines but elite defenders are worth their weight in gold.
Got me one of those!! Fun stuff

oh please - No one cares which schools you are visiting. If you have questions or getting feedback cool but no one is impressed with your attempt at braggin......Also, schools will pay or your visit after you are age eligible for official visits and if they really really want you - you can have more than one official visit.

Thanks for making me regret even posting anything on this topic. I had no intention to brag but if that is what you got out of it fine. Won’t see me sharing anything in this thread again.

Thanks for making me regret even posting anything on this topic. I had no intention to brag but if that is what you got out of it fine. Won’t see me sharing anything in this thread again.
Please continue to share! Don't let the bitter people outweigh those of use who are interested in hearing about all parts of this process. Those of you calling it bragging are showing yourselves to be quite envious.

Also, anyone who really thought anything changed with those new recruiting rules is naive.

Well Simi’s kid went to the camp st UCSD this week and the way he wrote about it makes it seem that he had to pay for the camp? Am I mistaken? And if he did pay, it seeems to me that they are not high on the list since it would not cost anything for the school to allow them to attend the camp for free. Not trying to make a judgement but that is an expensive residential week long camp and doing a couple of those without knowing where you stand can really make a dent in a wallet.

https://compliance.sports.uga.edu/camps/ncaa-bylaws-concerning-camps/

It’s against NCAA rules to give free or reduced admission to camps. UCSD Camp is expensive but it is one of my kids top choices. We would not have attended if the coaches hadn’t watch her play recently and suggested that she attend. The same goes for any other camp.
Thank you for the info. I wonder if there is a loophole somewhere in there if they wanted to sponsor the camp? Like maybe just invite them and have them train in a “separate” group from the camp??? Just wondering, no judgement.

Back