Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Thank you for the response. DD is an 03 and not in the National team pool yet, but has been invited to just about everything else. Hopefully that changes in the coming months. The one school I'm talking about said as much when we met with them, in terms of an offer. They said that an offer will be coming. However, they weren't specific about exactly when, but said that when it comes we would have roughly 2 weeks to decide. My sense is that it will come toward the end of this season and hence our need to kind of understand what we should be doing between now and then. Hope that makes sense...
So she is a 2021? If you want to have your daughter commit this early you probably need to get in front of this and start letting the other colleges know what your time frame is (after the season is over, before school starts next fall, what ever that time frame is and also let them know that if something knocks her socks off it could be sooner). Ideally, you want all the offers to come in fairly close together so that she has choices. Some kids know where they want to go and if they get that opportunity they jump at it regardless if it is the best offer. Others don't and it becomes a matter of fit for the player and maybe what the offer is. Bottom line, would that school be the choice of the student/player if soccer where taken out of the picture. Every journey is a little different, enjoy the trip. By the end it was a job for my daughter and our family and she was glad to be done by the end. She did commit during here freshman year.

By the end it was a job for my daughter and our family and she was glad to be done by the end. She did commit during here freshman year.

Good feedback beachbum. Does the above quote refer to the recruitment process, or her soccer career?

So she is a 2021? If you want to have your daughter commit this early you probably need to get in front of this and start letting the other colleges know what your time frame is (after the season is over, before school starts next fall, what ever that time frame is and also let them know that if something knocks her socks off it could be sooner). Ideally, you want all the offers to come in fairly close together so that she has choices. Some kids know where they want to go and if they get that opportunity they jump at it regardless if it is the best offer. Others don't and it becomes a matter of fit for the player and maybe what the offer is. Bottom line, would that school be the choice of the student/player if soccer where taken out of the picture. Every journey is a little different, enjoy the trip. By the end it was a job for my daughter and our family and she was glad to be done by the end. She did commit during here freshman year.

She is a 2021. What you say makes sense. She seems to know what she wants, but we want her to do the due diligence part, in terms of getting exposed to other schools and that's really where my question is focused. How do we create the situation you described, as far as getting the offers to come during the same timeframe? When we go to showcases, do we need to do something specific with those other schools on her list to make sure they come see her? Ultimately she needs to see the campuses, meet with the coaches and then make an informed decision from there...assuming, of course, they are interested in recruitig her like the other school that's near the top of her list.

She is a 2021. How do we create the situation you described, as far as getting the offers to come during the same timeframe?

Before junior year, your club coach is her ambassador, advocate and essentially (though without the money talk) your agent. Your coach should let other schools know she has or expects to receive an offer soon, and ask the others coaches what you need to do for them to come to a decision. It may require them seeing her play again at a camp or a showcase, or it may require an informal campus visit. It likely will involve arranging another phone call with each school so the coach can ask your daughter some more questions, and better understand her priorities and desires.

But other than a handful of pretty unique players, the process does not usually involve a lot of offers coming in at the same time, and you having the opportunity to weigh each one, in my experience. Most players are choosing between a couple of schools at most, or deciding if the bird in the hand is worth risking by waiting for a dream school to come to a decision.

Thank you for that note. I was thinking her club coach could sort of reach out and create a little ground swell, but I've been reluctant to ask. We have a couple showcases over the next 2 months, so hopefully the coaches my daughter reached out to will come see her play. The getting on campus between now and July is the tough part.

Before junior year, your club coach is her ambassador, advocate and essentially (though without the money talk) your agent. Your coach should let other schools know she has or expects to receive an offer soon, and ask the others coaches what you need to do for them to come to a decision. It may require them seeing her play again at a camp or a showcase, or it may require an informal campus visit. It likely will involve arranging another phone call with each school so the coach can ask your daughter some more questions, and better understand her priorities and desires.

But other than a handful of pretty unique players, the process does not usually involve a lot of offers coming in at the same time, and you having the opportunity to weigh each one, in my experience. Most players are choosing between a couple of schools at most, or deciding if the bird in the hand is worth risking by waiting for a dream school to come to a decision.

Some players are going to be recruited no matter what the parents do to help or hinder it, and some will never be recruited no matter what the parents do. The value of recruiting services and the like is best felt by the ones in the middle, where the player does not have an established position and a publicity campaign may help bring the player's abilities to the attention of coaches who are looking to fill out their rosters.

Some players are going to be recruited no matter what the parents do to help or hinder it, and some will never be recruited no matter what the parents do.
This is one of the truest "recruiting" statements I've read here. Talent (or lack thereof) will always speak for itself.

Thank you for that note. I was thinking her club coach could sort of reach out and create a little ground swell, but I've been reluctant to ask. We have a couple showcases over the next 2 months, so hopefully the coaches my daughter reached out to will come see her play. The getting on campus between now and July is the tough part.
Don't be reluctant to ask her coach or the club's college liaison (if they have one)? The club should be helping with the recruitment process.

Appreciate the advice. My daughter has a fairly short list now and I want to help her with making sure those schools are in play as soon as possible.

One key note
Club coaches can be hugely impactful but can at the same time be detrimental. Does your kids coach have juice with college coaches? Are they willing to step up? Do they know what college coaches are looking for? The big time clubs tend to be connected. The midline clubs not so much

Although DE and I disagree often he is spot on here.

This question might be better as it's own thread, but there's lots of good advice here so ...

Curious to hear about anyone who had the experience of having college coaches (particularly targeted dream school) show up to your player's game for the first time, only to have said player or team lay an egg. Happened to the best player on our team this weekend in Vegas and she was pretty crushed afterwards. Usually the most dynamic player on the field, but just had one really rough day. Her mom said she'd had a fever when she woke up the morning of the game, but of course, she battled through. If you'd never seen her play, you might not have noticed, but all of us on our team knew she wasn't herself. Do you bring that up to the recruiting coach? Or does that just sound like making excuses? If that was my first exposure to the player, I'd probably just move along to the next prospect based on that performance. With so many good players out there, it feels sometimes like you might only get one shot to make your mark.

One of the huge disadvantages to the DA as it relates to college exposure. If you lay and egg, they likely move along. It is not like the ECNL when you know there is another showcase in a few months and/or your team will be playing in surf cup, etc.

Also, since the kids know they only have the one chance to impress the nerves can get to some kids. It is a ton of pressure. Girls play best when they are having fun. Hard to have fun and be stressed out at the same time.

One of the huge disadvantages to the DA as it relates to college exposure. If you lay and egg, they likely move along. It is not like the ECNL when you know there is another showcase in a few months and/or your team will be playing in surf cup, etc.

Also, since the kids know they only have the one chance to impress the nerves can get to some kids. It is a ton of pressure. Girls play best when they are having fun. Hard to have fun and be stressed out at the same time.

There are multiple DA showcases. DA has its own flight at Surf Cup.

DA is real soccer because it uses FIFA sub rules (more or less), and college is a dead-end for prospective pro players because they don't, but the DA Showcases are set up as opportunities for college coaches to observe players.

A little bit of DA schizophrenia there????

DA is real soccer because it uses FIFA sub rules (more or less), and college is a dead-end for prospective pro players because they don't, but the DA Showcases are set up as opportunities for college coaches to observe players.

A little bit of DA schizophrenia there????
.......the showcases are only scheduled to con (and make $$) koolaid drinking parents (like Mark) into believing the DA cares about college and their kid is being scouted for the national team, unicorns excluded.

This question might be better as it's own thread, but there's lots of good advice here so ...

Curious to hear about anyone who had the experience of having college coaches (particularly targeted dream school) show up to your player's game for the first time, only to have said player or team lay an egg. Happened to the best player on our team this weekend in Vegas and she was pretty crushed afterwards. Usually the most dynamic player on the field, but just had one really rough day. Her mom said she'd had a fever when she woke up the morning of the game, but of course, she battled through. If you'd never seen her play, you might not have noticed, but all of us on our team knew she wasn't herself. Do you bring that up to the recruiting coach? Or does that just sound like making excuses? If that was my first exposure to the player, I'd probably just move along to the next prospect based on that performance. With so many good players out there, it feels sometimes like you might only get one shot to make your mark.

If the performance was poor, it is a setback. Might be wise for the club coach to reach out and follow up, support the player, see what their impressions was (do not assume to know), and then explain the performance, if necessary. The approach may now require them going to the school, and not hoping the coach returns to watch another game. Arrange an informal visit/tour, and find out if they host a clinic the player can attend. Continue to pursue them, if it is important to her.

First impressions are hard to change, and I would expect at least 2-3 great performances are needed to turn it around, so factor that into the recruiting timeline. It may be other schools present themselves before they right the ship with this one.

Personal experience -- if the school will not respond after multiple attempts on their part, it is time to move on. There are a lot of geeat schools and great options, do not get fixated on one.

Back