Privileged vs. Full Funded Teams

Getting back to the title of the threat... are clubs or coaches in the business of developing soccer players or just in the business of making money.
Finding the dedicated coach that can develop their son is what a parent should look for.
Regardless of the "free" or "privileged" categorization .

So true! Too many coaches are making too much money. When that happens the kids often get put on the back burner

Nothing wrong about making it a business if you are producing the results.
Many teams out there taunt good players with no cost for fees and giving them free everything just so they can have a good team but they don't develop..
#freeisnotalwaysthebestdeal
#thebestdealisnotalwaysthebestprice

Many teams out there taunt good players with no cost for fees and giving them free everything just so they can have a good team but they don't develop..
I forgot, what club are you with again?

#"taunt"?

Sadly there is tremendous corruption in every part of government. The reason I suggested the idea is to have some sort of way that the player of any income can play at the highest level and get quality training if they are capable of making the team. It also eliminates the families that have the finances but still want to "haggle" the cost.

The point is that the current system really limits our ability to find the best players. Not because poor kids are the best soccer players but because you are limiting the talent pool to only players that can afford $150-$200 a month is fees not including travel etc.

The cost to get a Class "A" coach in Holland is about $60 dollars a year. I know poorly qualified "trainers" that charge more than that per hour in the states.

TFA, FCGS, LAUFA and what some of the coaches at CDA are doing is showing that a pay to play model combined with a fully funded component is providing exposure, better training etc to segments of the population that would have just played hundreds of games without technical and tactical training.

The coaches at these sites are payed coaches but they are not getting rich off the en devour like we see in many south OC clubs. They are also fielding a higher caliber player than most of the pay to play clubs out there.

I agree I've actually seen some good talent coming out of TFA ,FCGS , LAUFA. There's something good happening there.
The 03 and 04 is what I've been watching lately.

Getting back to the title of the threat... are clubs or coaches in the business of developing soccer players or just in the business of making money.
Finding the dedicated coach that can develop their son is what a parent should look for.
Regardless of the "free" or "privileged" categorization .
Looking at results. TFA, LAUFA coaches aren't making the same money as the LAFC or GALAXY coaches. However they seem to be developing and in some cases winning games from teams with well paid coaches. I don't think TFA, LAUFA have the funds to invest the millions the MLS teams spend on their youth academies. But appear to be doing just as good as the big MLS Academies.

For the athletes that play multiple team sports there are really not many at the pro level in the modern era that have done well at more than one. Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, MJ, etc tried baseball for example but none of them where great like they were in there primary sport.

The Lebron quote was more of a quote that I hear all the time. My point was that kids in other countries become professional soccer players because that's what they live and breadth every day and they dont have too many options.

In the USA, we have star athletes that drop soccer for other sports because we have plenty of options. MLS promotion or relegation is not the answer. England has Promotion and Relegation in the Premier League and they are NOT a top 10 soccer powerhouse.

Here's a cool article on NFL stars that love soccer and played it when they were young... http://the18.com/news/washington-redskins-corner-josh-norman-latest-nfler-show-his-love-soccer

Quote from above article: "As for Odell Beckham, he said he could have been the next Messi or Neymar if he had stuck with the sport. The human highlight-reel said his first sport was soccer, which he started playing at the age of three. Beckham Jr. continued to play until he was 14 and said that his coach pushed him to try out for the U.S. Men's National Team; however, that likely would have meant going overseas to play and leaving his family at a young age, which was a sacrifice the young Beckham didn’t want to make. But nevertheless, it’s a sport he still loves to this day".

So lets say you have a kid (i know some well) like Odell, they are track star fast, playing multiple sports lets say football, basketball, soccer to make it simple.

Come HS age the american football coaches all around are recruiting your player, basketball coaches and the soccer somewhat but not nearly as much as football. Your player is outstanding at each sport, track records locally, plays on the top teams each sports, goes to tournaments shows well, teams win championships in each sports, get invited to regional all star type events, the whole 9 yards, etc.

Your player loves soccer the most followed by football, and basketball, runs all the time so wants to do track & field also. Knows HS football players get the most attention, praise, girls lining up, packed houses at the games, a exciting atmosphere. Basketball games also with good support and attendance but not nearly as much as football. Now there is soccer where much fewer people show up, no cheerleaders, rallies, or much of a atmosphere or support.

Your players has to choose now since playing all 3 of those at the same time is not possible due to the overlap in HS so what would you advise your player to consider as some of the most important things when choosing one over the other? Through in academy soccer and you have another monkey wrench.....Soccer and Track seem to be the only ones possible in that scenario.

For the athletes that play multiple team sports there are really not many at the pro level in the modern era that have done well at more than one. Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, MJ, etc tried baseball for example but none of them where great like they were in there primary sport.

So lets say you have a kid (i know some well) like Odell, they are track star fast, playing multiple sports lets say football, basketball, soccer to make it simple.

Come HS age the american football coaches all around are recruiting your player, basketball coaches and the soccer somewhat but not nearly as much as football. Your player is outstanding at each sport, track records locally, plays on the top teams each sports, goes to tournaments shows well, teams win championships in each sports, get invited to regional all star type events, the whole 9 yards, etc.

Your player loves soccer the most followed by football, and basketball, runs all the time so wants to do track & field also. Knows HS football players get the most attention, praise, girls lining up, packed houses at the games, a exciting atmosphere. Basketball games also with good support and attendance but not nearly as much as football. Now there is soccer where much fewer people show up, no cheerleaders, rallies, or much of a atmosphere or support.

Your players has to choose now since playing all 3 of those at the same time is not possible due to the overlap in HS so what would you advise your player to consider as some of the most important things when choosing one over the other? Through in academy soccer and you have another monkey wrench.....Soccer and Track seem to be the only ones possible in that scenario.

Football is a Fall sport, Soccer is a Winter sport. So not much overlap, unless your Football program goes deep into CIF. Even then, there is not much conflict except couple of soccer pre-season games.
So there is no issue to play Football, Soccer and run Track in HS in the same year.

Football is a Fall sport, Soccer is a Winter sport. So not much overlap, unless your Football program goes deep into CIF. Even then, there is not much conflict except couple of soccer pre-season games.
So there is no issue to play Football, Soccer and run Track in HS in the same year.

At my sons school football & soccer practices same days for over 3 months of the year, games overlap for month or more, scrimmages even more. . Tournaments, playoffs, and travel conflict sometimes. Track and Soccer even has some also but that's manageable. Kids need rest, school time, social, etc just with two sports its tough.

We are starting to get some of our best natural athletes staying in soccer. The higher that percentage goes, the better we will get.

I know it's not gonna happen but wouldn't it be nice
It would be nice to find a situation where the plan was to keep the same kids together for several years. I think the importance of chemistry is overlooked in many cases.

Your players has to choose now since playing all 3 of those at the same time is not possible due to the overlap in HS so what would you advise your player to consider as some of the most important things when choosing one over the other? Through in academy soccer and you have another monkey wrench.....Soccer and Track seem to be the only ones possible in that scenario.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. Chances are Ronaldo, Suarez, or any other star might have selected American Football if they had that option in their country. We live in the country of options and that's a good thing in many ways except for making soccer stronger. LOL.

I agree I've actually seen some good talent coming out of TFA ,FCGS , LAUFA. There's something good happening there.
The 03 and 04 is what I've been watching lately.
A club's ability to attract players is not related to it's ability to develop players. Way more often than not the talent you see "coming out" of a club came from several different clubs, like butterflies to the latest attractive flower (or free ride).

A club's ability to attract players is not related to it's ability to develop players. Way more often than not the talent you see "coming out" of a club came from several different clubs, like butterflies to the latest attractive flower (or free ride).

This should be reposted all over this forum especially in the land of Girls DA where the parents are still addicted to brands

Yep, we have experienced long time players leaving for scholarships at higher level teams and it didn't work out very well for them, but free rides are here to stay and parents love them, 3,4,5k is a bunch of dough.

I guess that's the name of the game. However we still have a few that refuse to train anywhere other then the name brand MLS teams.

I guess that's the name of the game. However we still have a few that refuse to train anywhere other then the name brand MLS teams.

Not taking parents into consideration, If you ask players from most teams if they want to play for a well known local branded pro team that trains & plays at a nice stadium facility, gets the perks most would say yes why not without knowing what they are really getting into.

Transportation, travel, coaches, players aside the best fit for a player who has the potential and drive to play pro is to play the best and up in age. If you play the best on either side (pro affiliated or not) does that make much of a difference? I know some kids love the underdog role and others like to be on the front foot with the fair weather.

Ussda is not the only league in town , the game might be faster is ussda and more technical in the combined age groups but if those where singled out by calendar year what might happen @ the older ages ? W/ fewer teams, HS, "other elite" travel leagues & tournaments would there be noticeable competition compared to say top CRL or Nat Cup teams and some academy sides?

Not taking parents into consideration, If you ask players from most teams if they want to play for a well known local branded pro team that trains & plays at a nice stadium facility, gets the perks most would say yes why not without knowing what they are really getting into.

Transportation, travel, coaches, players aside the best fit for a player who has the potential and drive to play pro is to play the best and up in age. If you play the best on either side (pro affiliated or not) does that make much of a difference? I know some kids love the underdog role and others like to be on the front foot with the fair weather.

Ussda is not the only league in town , the game might be faster is ussda and more technical in the combined age groups but if those where singled out by calendar year what might happen @ the older ages ? W/ fewer teams, HS, "other elite" travel leagues & tournaments would there be noticeable competition compared to say top CRL or Nat Cup teams and some academy sides?
My head is starting to hurt again.

Back