Prfc announcement

2008 Boy mls standings, league play Barca 1st, Rising 12th, Del Sol 16th, and rsl.
for flex play, only has Barca qualifying for Maryland.
the other 3 clubs are all below the qualifying line, 14th place, 15th place, and dead last. rsl between the two leagues has literally won like 2 games. ouch.

And? The only 4 2008B MLS N teams in Arizona are ranked Barca > Del Sol > Rising > RSL. Barca would be expected to beat RSL 4-1, and would win or tie 84% of the time. Even that may be too generous to RSL. Barca would be expected to beat Del Sol 3-1, and would win or tie 75% of the time. They are clearly the class of the field, and the results they put on the field show that.

Have to say the app is awesome. Did the predictions for a tournament and they were right on every time. App picked right winner and i think was off by one goal across 8 games. Very impressive.

It's been pretty spot-on for years if you take the table of teams pre-season, use the ratings to make a prediction, and then compare how they finish at the end of season. It shouldn't be surprising, as it turns out that youth soccer is pretty predictable, but it still is interesting to see the data over time. One of our teams sure hit the statistical long tail during this year's state cup. A predicted win turned out to be a close loss, a predicted loss turned out to be a close win, and a predicted win turned out to be a close loss. If we were betting on that trifecta at the beginning of the streak, it would have been about a 1 in 216 shot - it's the first time I can remember ever seeing it get 3 games wrong in a row.

I really hope that happens. Having 2 state leagues is awful. Hopefully ASA got better and they can recombine and make everyone happy.
Agree, and maybe it has taught the big clubs that running a league is a lot more difficult that they anticipated. To me, it was always an ego trip from RSL/Rising.

even Vegas gets it wrong time to time. kids get sick, injured, some are playing up that game, some arent rostering, etc. and for rising/rsl, i highly doubt they care. the biggest moneymakers are your rec leagues. and they have plenty. they will sell something else as the shiny new penny to those displaced players.

I assume its the soccer rankings app. Obv. that's only as good as the data entered, e.g. I checked out the 2007 boys and it has RSL MLSN as the #1 team in AZ. From what I've heard that team hadn't won an MLS game up to Dec23 and had basically imploded. They may have resurrected, but its bizarre if they are ranked as #1.

I'm not sure where you heard what you heard, but an audiologist appointment might be in order. Here is the most recent record for RSL MLSN 2007B:

rsl 2007.jpg

They are showing plenty of wins this season, including 6-0 against Vancouver 2 weeks ago, and 7-0 against SF Glens. There should be nothing bizarre in any of these ratings, with the reality that the rankings exactly mirror the game data that is assigned to each team entity. Now if the game data is assigned to the wrong team, or isn't accessible - the team entity will match whatever game data is assigned to it of course - the good news is that if anyone cares about whether their team's rating represents reality, it's a few clicks to add/remove game data to make sure it matches games that the team actually played.

The other thing is that the teams in the diff leagues don't play each other, so comparing is difficult. The scores should reflect the strength of the opposition and the win/lose/draw results but if each letter/local league is predominantly in their own bubble, the only time you can really compare is the big independent showcases.

The showcases and other tournaments are a perfect vehicle to understand the predictivity of the ratings and balance the full data set. There is a strong inherent belief that if two teams don't play each other, a prediction cannot be close to accurate - the data shows that not to be true in youth soccer. Of course if they never play each other, there is never a confirmation of either belief. The measure that matters (and can be verified), is that for all games where the two opposing teams were rated - who won?

I'm not sure where you heard what you heard, but an audiologist appointment might be in order. Here is the most recent record for RSL MLSN 2007B:

View attachment 20318

They are showing plenty of wins this season, including 6-0 against Vancouver 2 weeks ago, and 7-0 against SF Glens. There should be nothing bizarre in any of these ratings, with the reality that the rankings exactly mirror the game data that is assigned to each team entity. Now if the game data is assigned to the wrong team, or isn't accessible - the team entity will match whatever game data is assigned to it of course - the good news is that if anyone cares about whether their team's rating represents reality, it's a few clicks to add/remove game data to make sure it matches games that the team actually played.
isn't that the u17e RSL Utah academy, not the RSL AZ academy

Yep - that tracks. For 2007B, the MLSN teams in AZ go Barca > Del Sol > RSL AZ > Rising. Putting RSL Utah in that makes no sense if they are looking at AZ teams. The #1 team in AZ is now listed as Barca as appropriate. I'm amazed someone at RSL (either AZ or UT) hadn't seen this earlier and fixed it themselves - but it supports the belief that they truly aren't concerned about ratings other than their own standings.

i heard that rsl lost one of their mls coaches, either 08 or 07? idk. seems that their mls standings in az are far from competitive. there has to be some serious discontent on those teams.

It looks like that they are having a hard time, though they did win their most recent game weekend before last. (image is for RSL AZ MLS 2007B)

rslaz07.jpg

View attachment 20318

I heard it from a parent on the team who had pulled his kid to play high school as the team sucked ... so yeah, I'll take his anecdote.

I heard it from a parent on the team who had pulled his kid to play high school as the team sucked ... so yeah, I'll take his anecdote.
i know a few of the parents and players on 08 who also did the same and played high school. this next season going into 2024 -2025 could actually have a lot of movement on the boys side, which usually at this age doesn't happen. should be interesting to track.

my call on Rising getting EA may be better than my bracket this year. they announced it yesterday. Kentucky to win it all! Go Cats!

my call on Rising getting EA may be better than my bracket this year. they announced it yesterday. Kentucky to win it all! Go Cats!
The precedent on this already exists. In CA, Strikers was kicked out of ECNL on both the boys and girls side because their top boys teams were in MLS Next. On the girls side, the top teams were in the ECNL but it didn't matter, the ECNL took the full program away because Strikers had MLS Next. The girls were decimated by other clubs and what was left ended up in E64 and the boys got EA for their second teams.

The precedent on this already exists. In CA, Strikers was kicked out of ECNL on both the boys and girls side because their top boys teams were in MLS Next. On the girls side, the top teams were in the ECNL but it didn't matter, the ECNL took the full program away because Strikers had MLS Next. The girls were decimated by other clubs and what was left ended up in E64 and the boys got EA for their second teams.
Sure seems like monopolistic behavior and "Tying" to me.

Sure seems like monopolistic behavior and "Tying" to me.

And that's a perfectly reasonable viewpoint, and anyone looking at this from the Strikers perspective would likely feel similarly. Obviously ECNL disagrees, and believes that they have every right to do what they are doing to grow their league and provide the best opportunities for its paying customers.

Back