Ponderable

Best part of the article --

A quick personal note: As a youngster, I was eager for my father’s first gun-safety lesson. We took my grandfather’s .38 behind our rural home and set up a thick board. “Here,” my father said, “it’s not loaded.”

As I reached eagerly for the shiny pistol, it went off with a terrifying blast that blew a large hole in the board. I may have uttered something that deserved a mouth-washing with soap. “Everyone says every gun is not loaded,” Dad said. “Never forget that.”​

Best part of the article --

A quick personal note: As a youngster, I was eager for my father’s first gun-safety lesson. We took my grandfather’s .38 behind our rural home and set up a thick board. “Here,” my father said, “it’s not loaded.”

As I reached eagerly for the shiny pistol, it went off with a terrifying blast that blew a large hole in the board. I may have uttered something that deserved a mouth-washing with soap. “Everyone says every gun is not loaded,” Dad said. “Never forget that.”​
You only need to have that happen once, when I was 10 I was hunting with my Dad and I had a single shot 410 with a hammer, he always told me to carry it uncocked, me being 10 wanted every advantage if I saw a bird so I was carrying it cocked, it had no safety. When we got back to the car I was unloading-uncocking it and it went off, the gun was pointing straight up, thank God, my dad was not too happy, lets just leave it at that.

Great Moments in Local Government Tyranny

As reported by the Chicago Sun-Times, here’s an example of Chicago cronyism.

A real estate venture created by President Barack Obama’s one time boss and a nephew of former Mayor Richard M. Daley squandered $68 million that was given to invest on behalf of pension plans for Chicago teachers, cops, city employees and transit workers… The five public pension funds haven’t made a dime on the investments they made nearly a decade ago… In fact, the financially troubled pension plans have lost most of the money they gave DV Urban… Though the pension funds lost out, DV Urban and its affiliated companies got about $9 million of the pension money for management fees.

Not that this should be a surprise. Being a Daley relative has commonly been a route to undeserved riches. And the same can be said about being an Obama crony.

Speaking of government greed, here are some excerpts from a very depressing Forbescolumn about shakedowns of poor people in Los Angeles.

An unbuckled seat belt caused Gloria Mata Alvarado to lose her driver’s license. When her husband was driving Mata to a doctor’s appointment for her gastritis in August 2012, her stomach began hurting. For relief, Mata adjusted her seat belt. But a police officer saw her take off the belt and cited her. …In court, Mata was ordered to pay $712, almost half the monthly income for her and her husband. (Both are on disability.) After telling the judge that she couldn’t pay the fine because of her limited means, a judge graciously reduced the fine—to $600. Unable to pay, her license was ultimately suspended. …In Los Angeles County alone, nearly 200,000 drivers had their licenses suspended simply because they failed to pay fines or appear in court. Statewide, from 2006 to 2013, the California Department of Motor Vehicles suspended more than 4.2 million driver’s licenses for those reasons… Throughout the Golden State, motorists are routinely nickeled-and-dimed in traffic court. Looking to raise revenue, state lawmakers slapped on additional fees and surcharges to the base fines for traffic tickets. For instance, the fine for failing to signal or running a stop sign is $35. But after all the surcharges and fees have been imposed, that fine soars to $238. Likewise, a $20 ticket for using a cell phone while driving balloons to $162, while a $100 traffic ticket for failing to carry proof of car insurance actually costs $490. Even worse, failing to pay can trigger an additional $300 “civil assessment” fee. So for many low-income Angelenos, a $20, $35 or $100 ticket can easily become $462, $538, and $815 respectively. …Notably, the courts themselves receive the collected civil assessment penalties, granting them a strong financial incentive to levy fees.

This sickens me. I hate the thought of poor people having their lives made worse because of venal and greedy government.

Especially when many (probably most) of the infractions are for things that don’t actually promote or protect public safety.

At the very least, the fines (and accompanying fees) should be slashed. Though I recognize this could result in more cities being like Detroit, which actually spends more administering parking tickets than it collects in revenue.

Maybe the answer is to levy fines based on income. If a lot of middle class and rich people suddenly experienced severe financial discomfort like the poor, that might generate enough pressure to shut down these revenue-raising scams.

Fox News suspended Napolitano for his unverifiable claim that Obama used GCHQ to spy in t, and when they allowed him back on the air today he repeated the same thing. "The sources stand by it."

Drove home, made lunch, and it's over $80,000.

I have to agree with the GoFundMe intention, if it makes the Politicians squirm....Do it.
I wanna see Sen Al Franken's history before/during and just after his initial election....
That would be quite interesting.

I have to agree with the GoFundMe intention, if it makes the Politicians squirm....Do it.
I wanna see Sen Al Franken's history before/during and just after his initial election....
That would be quite interesting.

Franken didn't vote for the bill, so he's not on the list.

Back